"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #13451
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
How does it feel living inside a snowglobe?
I hope no earthquake happens right now or I am going to be buried in snow. With snow covering the front windows completely and the windows on the roof, it is like a snow globe. Yesterday when I looked, it was also halfway up the side that leads to the patio.

Old 02-12-2015, 12:59 PM   #13452
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Happens to us (when we get snow) we live in a daylight basement.

Old 02-13-2015, 12:25 AM   #13453
Chef Extraordinaire

We are now under a Blizzard expected to start at midnight tonight. Just what we need. More snow. Roofs are collapsing all over the place. The Pirate helped my SIL remove more than six feet of snow from the roof of the garage. They also had to clean off the kitchen roof. The rest of the house has peaked roofs.

My SIL is a survivor of cancer. Non-Hodgkin's Leukemia. If you can call him a survivor. He was in Stage Four when they found it. They told him to get all of his ducks in a row and do it fast. In the meantime they started chemo on him and fortunately were very aggressive about it. But the chemo left him a shell of himself. Trying to climb the ladder to get to the roof took him almost five minutes. My son got down and behind him to give him a feeling of confidence and safety incase he fell. First him and now my daughter. He feels so obligated to take care of her during her chemo week. After all she was by his side every day when he was on the chemo drip. To this day he keeps telling her how much it meant to him. Her presence was what gave him the strength to fight.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:14 PM   #13454
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Super cold and windy here along the river. Sure feel for our east-coasters who got another snow dumping.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #13455
Chef Extraordinaire

Up to now, I have felt, "Oh great, just what we need. More snow." But these two coming storms have me very nervous. If we get hurricane winds like they are reporting, I am concerned about my big window in my back room. There are a couple of big trees right across the street. If a branch comes down and the wind brings it over and hits that window, I hope I am not in that room. The window is two stories high. I am so used to New England weather. But this time it is different. This is coming straight in from the North. Not the Northeast. Cape Cod is really going to get hit hard.

Thank goodness I have The Pirate with me. His presence has a calming effect for me. All I can think of is if we get the amount of snow they are predicting, there is a good possibility that we will be snowed in and unable to evacuate in the event of an emergency. Claustrophobia wants to kick in big time. You can't imagine just how much snow there already is. The maintenance crew have done their best to try to keep up with it. But they have to go home to their families and rest at sometime. And with six properties to care for it is a massive job.

So far Eastie has had no fires. If there are, the people are not going to be able to get away from their building without climbing over more than six feet of snow drifts. And a lot of sidewalks have not been shoveled. The people have given up trying to keep up with the falling snow. Can't say I blame them.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:14 PM   #13456
Chef Extraordinaire

Low of 4 below 0 tonight. High of 9F expected tomorrow in SE South Dakota
Old 02-17-2015, 09:26 PM   #13457
Chef Extraordinaire

I have no idea. I haven't looked out the window all day. And I will do the same tomorrow. But I do know that it didn't snow today. I am grateful for small things like no snowflakes. It doesn't take much to make me happy.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #13458
Master Chef

I know you all watch the national weather news like I do every morning, and I feel almost guilty to be warm and dry here. That's honestly the truth. When I see how so much of the country is dealing with record snow and cold I think of each of you and how depressing it must be to get one punch after another and have your lives ruled by these terrible unrelenting conditions. It boggles my mind. Just wanted all of you to know that I do care and send you my best and warmest thoughts.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM   #13459
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I know you all watch the national weather news like I do every morning, and I feel almost guilty to be warm and dry here. That's honestly the truth. When I see how so much of the country is dealing with record snow and cold I think of each of you and how depressing it must be to get one punch after another and have your lives ruled by these terrible unrelenting conditions. It boggles my mind. Just wanted all of you to know that I do care and send you my best and warmest thoughts.
I agree, it should be happening here where we can deal with it all. Have lots of up country valleys and mountain tops that could handle all the snow. Glacier National Park is missing it's winter mantle.
Old 02-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #13460
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I have no idea. I haven't looked out the window all day. And I will do the same tomorrow. But I do know that it didn't snow today. I am grateful for small things like no snowflakes. It doesn't take much to make me happy.
My friend, (and I know Addie)

It snowed all day today ! But only like 4 inches.

And it's gonna snow tomorrow. And Sunday

I have 15-20 feet of snow in my front yard. It's nuts!

Kill me now!