"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #13511
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We are at -2F, with a "feels like" of -20. Got 6 more inches of snow yesterday. Schools are again delayed 2 hours due to windchill tomorrow. DH is making noises about moving south.

Old 02-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #13512
Master Chef

Holy cow, y'all. I can't imagine.....does it seem like the snowfall is heavier and the winters are going on longer than they have in the past for those of you in the Midwest and on the east coast? Seems that way to me from what I've heard on the news. Take care, everyone.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:12 AM   #13513
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
Holy cow, y'all. I can't imagine.....does it seem like the snowfall is heavier and the winters are going on longer than they have in the past for those of you in the Midwest and on the east coast? Seems that way to me from what I've heard on the news. Take care, everyone.

Thanks, this ain't nuthin', Cheryl! The little town where I grew up in northern North Dakota has had -45F lately, without factoring in windchill!

Sure feel for the east, and for the south, who aren't used to this.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #13514
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
This winter is the harshest one I have ever seen. Even from when I was a kid. We never had enough snow to have snow days. And I have seen many winters where we had no snow. Just cold. Twenty degree weather was as bad as living in Antarctica. But this snow falling everyday is unreal along with zero temperatures that only go up a few degrees with no sun in sight just never happened that I can remember. Only once do I remember Boston Harbor freezing over. Now it is frozen past the harbor out into the current. We have had the Coast Guard working between Cape Cod and the Islands. And part of Boston Harbor. The passageway to the Islands HAS TO BE kept open. Food is brought there every day. Like fresh produce, meats, milk etc. This winter has given us a lot of first. That we would gladly done without.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:17 AM   #13515
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Thanks, this ain't nuthin', Cheryl! The little town where I grew up in northern North Dakota has had -45F lately, without factoring in windchill!

Sure feel for the east, and for the south, who aren't used to this.

My thoughts are with y'all who are buried in snow.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:56 AM   #13516
Master Chef

Not my weather, since there is no way I would live on an island surrounded by ocean, but I thought this article I saw online was rather interesting. It seems that the ocean water near the coast of Nantucket is not quite frozen. As in, it as the consistency of a slurpee! Some really interesting photos accompany the article - you should click the link just to look at those. Enjoy.

The Slurpee Waves of Nantucket

One picture, just for a tease!

Old 02-27-2015, 07:10 AM   #13517
Chef Extraordinaire

Those shots are great. I would like to meet that photographer. He has quite and eye for the perfect shot. But he must have been freezing those pics.

I guess it got to be too much for the CG cutter to keep the lanes open to the mainland. The water past the waves looks so choppy and cold. Going past Constitution Beach here in Eastie today, I noticed it was also frozen over along with Winthrop Beach and Short Beach in Revere. At our beach, it is located in a cove and out toward the airport is a small island that is a clam bed. At high tide it is completely covered over. Well, I hope those clams can find a way to free themselves under the ice. If not, the beds are again going to be dead and no clams for harvest. Another disaster and loss due to this crazy winter. The only people that are making any money are the cab companies. People don't want to stand in the cold waiting for a bus. The cabs are running full out. Usually there is a line at the supermarkets. As fast as the folks come out of the store, again they don't want to walk across the street and wait for a bus. So they grab a cab.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #13518
Senior Cook

-10 No wind chill though. So that's good I guess.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:38 AM   #13519
Master Chef

18 below zero with a wind chill of 35 below. Brr!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:50 PM   #13520
Master Chef

JoAnn!

CG, those pics are incredible, thanks for sharing!