"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-23-2015, 11:32 PM   #13901
Senior Cook

Spoke too soon, smoke and haze high was in the 80's

Old 08-24-2015, 12:03 AM   #13902
Master Chef

We've been getting smoke and hazy skies from the fires, too - today was the first time in several days that the Sierra Nevadas have been visible again, and the sky was back to it's normal blue. There's another CA fire down south, so I suspect tomorrow we'll be getting the smoke from that one up here, too.

The temp barely got over 100F today with 8% humidity, so that's a good thing.

Old 08-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #13903
Master Chef

We have a touch of autumn in the air today. Full sunshine but a nice, cool breeze. That will, once again, come to a screeching halt next week. We should be experiencing highs in the upper 80's to 90. Phew! Tired of oppressive heat and humidity. I could never live in FL.

Speaking of FL, I hope our members down there are ready for a deluge. Thankfully, Erika is no longer a hurricane or tropical storm, but it looks like she's got a lot of water to dump. Stay high and dry, friends! At least as "high" as you can get down there.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:38 PM   #13904
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
We have a touch of autumn in the air today. Full sunshine but a nice, cool breeze. That will, once again, come to a screeching halt next week. We should be experiencing highs in the upper 80's to 90. Phew! Tired of oppressive heat and humidity. I could never live in FL.

Speaking of FL, I hope our members down there are ready for a deluge. Thankfully, Erika is no longer a hurricane or tropical storm, but it looks like she's got a lot of water to dump. Stay high and dry, friends! At least as "high" as you can get down there.
Yes, CG, we appear to have dodged the Erika bullet so far as we know. But not surprisingly, we've been told to keep the 'brollies handy for the next several days. Here is our sky at 4:00 PM today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Four O'Clock Clouds 8 29 2015.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	23333  
Old 08-29-2015, 04:46 PM   #13905
Master Chef

Amazing picture!

It looks like something right out of Cecil B. DeMille's 1956 epic The Ten Commandments!

Stay safe and keep us posted!!!
Old 08-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #13906
Head Chef

Thanks, AB - I'll try.

I have Russell Crowe starring in Noah's Ark in my Netflix queue to play tomorrow.
Old 08-29-2015, 07:49 PM   #13907
Master Chef

Nice pic, Tinlizzie!

Beautiful day here today - it only got up to 100F, 8% humidity, and a nice breeze.
Old 08-29-2015, 10:19 PM   #13908
Master Chef

Nice photo, tinlizzie, but that sky looks like it has potential for the nasties. Hope you weather the weather without any problems.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:44 AM   #13909
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

Here on the East Coast, it started raining mid-afternoon yesterday, with VERY brief periods of no rain. Then about 2:00 a.m. this morning started with severe thunderstorms, lots and lots of quick power blinks and it just finally started settling down about 6:30. It's actually not raining now but from the looks of the sky that won't last for long.

When I tried to take the baby pugs out this morning, it was still pouring. They started out the door and put the brakes on real fast. I had to get the umbrella out and walk away from the door to coax them to go outside with me and do their business. The ground was like a bog.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 AM   #13910
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Sunny today, sunny tomorrow. I wouldn't mind a change. Not too much. El Nino is gaining strength. The La Nina effect is what the US west has had for the last 6 years.

I waste a lot of water at my kitchen sink when I need hot water for clean up. I waste about 2-3 gallons while the water travels from the hot water heater to my faucet.

Point of service hot water heaters should be mandatory in all new construction out here.
Since the hot water heaters here in the builders tend to shut down around ten at night, it can take me as much as five minutes to get water hot enough for a shower after that hour. I am on the second floor and the heaters are at the opposite end on the building and on the first floor from me. I think I am the only person up at that hour here.