"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-05-2015, 02:06 PM   #14001
Chef Extraordinaire

Bakechef and Roll_Bones are both in South Carolina. RB is inland near the mountains. I hope they and their families are okay. The flooding there has been awful.

CrazyCatLady and Cat are in Charlotte, NC, far inland in the mountains. Joaquin is well out to sea and will be weakening in the cold water of the North Atlantic, so it won't be a problem for them.

Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #14002
Master Chef

Cheryl, I'm so glad you're finally getting your much needed rain. If you find that you have too much, maybe you can send some Kayelle's way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...CrazyCatLady and Cat are in Charlotte, NC, far inland in the mountains...
I thought they were in Asheville. If so, they are even further up the mountains and, hopefully, even safer. But how are YOU guys? I hope you don't have flooding along the VA coast near you.

I've been thinking of bakechef's Mom. Didn't she move to Charleston? IIRC, bc said his Mom would be a couple hour drive from him and Rob. In any event, I hope she and her new home are both safe.

We had sun, but now the clouds are moving in. Looks like this week will be the last really nice one for doing outside work for a while. Unfortunately, clumsy Himself twisted his ankle while going down the steps to take out the garbage. I swear he'll do anything to get out of working around here!

Old 10-05-2015, 02:48 PM   #14003
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Cheryl, I'm so glad you're finally getting your much needed rain. If you find that you have too much, maybe you can send some Kayelle's way.

I thought they were in Asheville. If so, they are even further up the mountains and, hopefully, even safer. But how are YOU guys? I hope you don't have flooding along the VA coast near you.

I've been thinking of bakechef's Mom. Didn't she move to Charleston? IIRC, bc said his Mom would be a couple hour drive from him and Rob. In any event, I hope she and her new home are both safe.

We had sun, but now the clouds are moving in. Looks like this week will be the last really nice one for doing outside work for a while. Unfortunately, clumsy Himself twisted his ankle while going down the steps to take out the garbage. I swear he'll do anything to get out of working around here!
Whoops, you're right - it's Asheville. There can be flash flooding in the mountains, too, though. If they get too much rain too fast, the rivers can overflow. I haven't heard about anything like that in the NC mountains.

We're fine. It flooded all around us yesterday but our block has never flooded. A block over toward a creek, though, a neighbor posted a picture of ducks floating down the street lol

I don't remember where bakechef's mother moved to. Charleston was pretty messed up, though. I hope they're all okay.
Old 10-05-2015, 04:59 PM   #14004
Master Chef

I hope we hear from Bakechef soon about his mother - hoping all is OK.

The rain suddenly stopped here, clouds cleared, and the sun came out. Desert weather changes in a heartbeat.

CG...I would have loved to send some rain to Kay! I know they've been hoping for it just as much.
Old 10-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #14005
Certified Pretend Chef

Watching the 6:00 News/Weather in Boston.

Boston's precipitation for 2015-to-date (including the water content of all the snow that fell for our record breaking winter) = 26.8".

Rainfall total for the hardest hit areas of South Carolina during a 72-hour period = 26.9"
Old 10-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #14006
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sadly, the temperature is dropping here along the river. Fall may have arrived. It's 54 F, and it's supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. I dug up the frost-susceptable plants and brought them in.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:02 PM   #14007
Master Chef

We had a huge thunderstorm come in last night - woke me up at 3AM, and kept going until around 8AM. More is expected for the next couple of days.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:46 PM   #14008
Chef Extraordinaire

Freeze warning tonight low to mid 20's on the overnight in SE South Dakota.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #14009
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

We are supposed to get down to 33F tonight. I better close the bedroom window.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:39 PM   #14010
Master Chef

Holy cow!!! Parts of southern California sure got pounded yesterday but we didn't get a drop of rain here on the coast. The emergency weather alert started blaring on the TV during Jeopardy, and I was shocked to hear of flash floods on the Grapevine highway east of us. This morning we saw the unbelievable pictures of what happened. What a mud mess!! I sure hope Cheryl is safe and sound.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote