"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 PM   #14191
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Aw, thanks Addie. We won't be leaving until after they clean the snow off the highway.
Just stay in Cornwall. The Girls, dogs and I are hunkered down. We're going nowhere. Stay off the roads if you can.

Old 12-29-2015, 04:20 PM   #14192
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Just stay in Cornwall. The Girls, dogs and I are hunkered down. We're going nowhere. Stay off the roads if you can.
We're hunkered down as well. I'm keeping an eye on the forecasts for Cornwall and DDO. At the moment, it looks like we should be able to drive home safely on Thursday. We will be keeping an eye on things and decide later. It also depends on when the highways gets cleaned.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:34 PM   #14193
Chef Extraordinaire

Gee, every time I check, the temp goes down another degree. I cracked the window to let some air in the apartment. That was a mistake. Too dang cold out there.

Little by little I have been cranking the heat up. These walls are really thick, but the cold is still creeping in. Snow, sleet, ice. I hate winter.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #14194
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Gee, every time I check, the temp goes down another degree. I cracked the window to let some air in the apartment. That was a mistake. Too dang cold out there.

Little by little I have been cranking the heat up. These walls are really thick, but the cold is still creeping in. Snow, sleet, ice. I hate winter.
For Heaven's sake, stop checking the temp

4F...no wind!
Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 AM   #14195
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

It's been warm here, but dang the rain! Driving home from SC on Sunday, all of the rivers and streams were running over their banks. My mom is contemplating growing rice in her back yard

We've had weeks of rain, but the last few days have been heavy and causing flooding. This is why I bought a townhouse built on a hill!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:06 AM   #14196
Chef Extraordinaire

The day started out with rain an the temp in the mid 30's. Now the sun is shining so brightly and the temp is in the low 40's. I can live with that. Had to turn the heat down.

Either Boston has the greatest sewer system or we just are lucky in that I can not ever recall having heard about a flood in this city. The only major river we have is the Charles and that is controlled with gates. That has never gone over its banks that I ever heard of.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:06 PM   #14197
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The day started out with rain an the temp in the mid 30's. Now the sun is shining so brightly and the temp is in the low 40's. I can live with that. Had to turn the heat down.

Either Boston has the greatest sewer system or we just are lucky in that I can not ever recall having heard about a flood in this city. The only major river we have is the Charles and that is controlled with gates. That has never gone over its banks that I ever heard of.
Don't forget the Great Molasses Flood, January 15, 1919!!!
Old 12-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #14198
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
Don't forget the Great Molasses Flood, January 15, 1919!!!
Oh yeah. On a really hot summer day, you can still smell the molasses. A lot of the streets in the North End are still cobble stone and the molasses seeped down into the ground below through the breaks in the stones. It does become nauseating after a spell. I always made it a point to not go there during the summer. Only at night, after the sun went down and then only if it was for a festival. They have a festival every single weekend.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:17 PM   #14199
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
We're home. The roads were clear and there was just a little bit of "sprinkling" some of the trip. It's currently -1C (30F). There's an accumulation of 31 cm (12.2") of snow. Looks like winter now.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:50 PM   #14200
Master Chef

What is your weather like right now?

Beautiful day. 25 F (-4 C). Sunny, blue sky. Doesn't get much better than that here in MN.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking