"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-07-2016, 12:01 PM   #14231
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
This is the best rain gauge I've ever seen. You can see it from our front door without getting wet. This was taken at 4.40pm today and there's more to come. Just in case anyone wonders why we're so excited, in two days we now have 80% of the total rainfall we had in 2015.

Woo Hoo, it was up to four inches when we got up this bright freshly washed morning.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:05 PM   #14232
Master Chef

Nice rain gauge, K!

The problem with these rainstorms is that we get too much rain in such a short period of time. At least I'm able to collect buckets and trash cans full from all the roof run-off the rain gutters can't handle.

Old 01-07-2016, 04:02 PM   #14233
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
Nice rain gauge, K!

The problem with these rainstorms is that we get too much rain in such a short period of time. At least I'm able to collect buckets and trash cans full from all the roof run-off the rain gutters can't handle.
Can you guys have rain barrels out there? We have two in the yard, one by the house and one by the shed.

The CA reservoirs are looking better. Still need much more, though.
Selected Reservoir Current Conditions Graphs
Old 01-07-2016, 06:09 PM   #14234
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	24124

IT'S SNOWING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT!!!
It's been coming down pretty good for about an hour
and we've got at least an inch.
We had been out, on the other side of town, an hour's drive and I
did something that I've never done before,
I DROVE IN SNOW!!!

I know that doesn't sound like much to you folks, but for this little Island gal, WOW! The doctor's nurse today asked us if we had ever seen waterfalls and gone snorkeling, yeah, but I've never seen snow prior to living here. As DH and I were on our way home, we were talking about how sad that she had never seen the things that we have and it started to snow. That was awesome!
Old 01-07-2016, 06:37 PM   #14235
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Attachment 24124

I DROVE IN SNOW!!!

I know that doesn't sound like much to you folks, but for this little Island gal, WOW! The doctor's nurse today asked us if we had ever seen waterfalls and gone snorkeling, yeah, but I've never seen snow prior to living here. As DH and I were on our way home, we were talking about how sad that she had never seen the things that we have and it started to snow. That was awesome!
How did you like driving on snow? I'm impressed. I know how hard it is for someone when they are first experiencing snow and you don't even have snow tires.
Old 01-07-2016, 06:59 PM   #14236
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
How did you like driving on snow? I'm impressed. I know how hard it is for someone when they are first experiencing snow and you don't even have snow tires.
I was scared, but I just took my time and I made sure that DH didn't think that I was nervous, he was feeling well. And Nope, no snow tires, no four wheel drive, and it had been raining heavily for hours prior to the snow, so it was flooding in many place along the way. In the desert, they don't have any water run off, they just let it make it's own way out into the desert, scary in some places, they call them washes, going across most major roadways, impassable really, we did have to turn around at one point and take a different route (which I TOLD DH we shouldn't have gone that way!! but we made it in one piece and since the snow was coming down pretty hard once we got home, I immediately went out back to play in it!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #14237
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
I was scared, but I just took my time and I made sure that DH didn't think that I was nervous, he was feeling well. And Nope, no snow tires, no four wheel drive, and it had been raining heavily for hours prior to the snow, so it was flooding in many place along the way. In the desert, they don't have any water run off, they just let it make it's own way out into the desert, scary in some places, they call them washes, going across most major roadways, impassable really, we did have to turn around at one point and take a different route (which I TOLD DH we shouldn't have gone that way!! but we made it in one piece and since the snow was coming down pretty hard once we got home, I immediately went out back to play in it!
Yup, taking it easy is one of the best ways to handle snow. Don't try to brake hard, don't try to turn hard. Start braking, gently, well before you want to stop. I don't know if they teach this in the US, but it's how they teach handling a skid in Canada. Steer gently in the direction you want to go. Keep your foot off the brake and if necessary to accelerate, do so gently. Forget any nonsense about steering in the direction of the skid. Remember that your car will follow your eyes, so don't keep staring at anything you don't want to hit.
Old 01-07-2016, 09:12 PM   #14238
Master Chef

Wow Kgirl. You're one up on me, as I've lived here all my life and have never driven in snow. Good job!! We get snow in our mountains, but my Minnesota parents never took me to play in it. They had enough snow to last a lifetime I guess. My North Dakota transplanted husband also felt the same when our sons were growing up, so no snow play for them either.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #14239
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Enjoy your snow, K~Girl!!! I love snow!
Old 01-07-2016, 10:09 PM   #14240
Master Chef

Quote:
Attachment 24124

I DROVE IN SNOW!!!

What a pretty pic, kgirl! Isn't it fun to have unexpected snow? Yes, be careful driving - even if you're super careful, you can't count on others to be the same.

Every few years we get a good snowfall here in the middle of my desert area. This was from my front door in Jan 2011. The whole town shut down for a couple of days. I wouldn't be at all surprised if El Nino pounds us (at least for here) with a good snowfall this winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snow of 2011.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	24125