"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM   #15501
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I just shot a whole lot of cars going to an auction in Pacific Grove during car week. Alas, it looks like I won't be there this year.

Classic Car Auction | Worldwide Auctioneers

Oh, the weather here was 98 degrees with a heat index of 105. That's about normal for here in late July.

Too bad you will not be here... I'd had loved to have had a coffee with you..
The venue is less than a mile from my apartment...

Ross

Old 07-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #15502
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I just shot a whole lot of cars going to an auction in Pacific Grove during car week. Alas, it looks like I won't be there this year.

Classic Car Auction | Worldwide Auctioneers...
I just took a glance at that website. Are any of the photos under "cars for sale" ones that you took? I figure I could browse your work, since I'm certainly not in the market for a classic car. That is, unless, I can actually replace MY chassis.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind." ~~~ Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM   #15503
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I just took a glance at that website. Are any of the photos under "cars for sale" ones that you took? I figure I could browse your work, since I'm certainly not in the market for a classic car. That is, unless, I can actually replace MY chassis.
I shot 24 of the cars in the catalog. My favorite is the Lot 38, the 1937 Packard 1507 Twelve Coupe Roadster. I love Packards.

I love the weather on Monterey Peninsula in August, when it is often in the 100s here.

CD
Old 07-21-2017, 07:44 PM   #15504
Head Chef

Thumbs up

That Packard is really outstanding.... Your photography is stunning...

That will be a wonderful event... and the weather will be perfect...

Ross
Old 07-21-2017, 09:45 PM   #15505
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
98, Addie? Really? That's higher than any of the official temperatures I saw on any of the local TV weather segments, which was around 91. Aw, what difference does it make? 91, 98...they're both hellishly hot. Meanwhile, I watched six different weather reports today. I saw all four Boston stations, plus two from Providence, hoping to fine one that I really liked so I could hope for that to be true. Never did see one that said "mid-70s and low humidity".

We've been hiding in the house again today. Thermostat is at 78, our usual daytime temp. With my new ceiling fan in the kitchen, installed efficiently and lovingly by Himself, I can work at the sink or stove and not even be bothered by the heat - just as long as I don't turn the oven on - which I won't!
There is nothing to be embarrassed by, JC. You must pay dearly for that location, both in money and in size given up to live there. You've worked all your life to enjoy what you have, so never be embarrassed.

You would think being so close to the ocean, it would be cooler here. But it wasn't. When I took Teddy out, I walked out the door, and the heat coming up from the black asphalt knocks the breath right out of you. I made Teddy run down to the side of the building where there was plenty of grass and big ole trees giving off their shade. No way was I going to stand or walk in the sunshine.

Logan Airport is where you are getting your weather report from along with all the TV stations. But a number of years ago the Weather Bureau installed in several fire stations here in East Boston as an experiment, equipment for weather forecasts. The reports directly from the airport, remembering that the airport is a peninsular surrounded by water, right up to the edge of the runways will always be some degrees less than what I am getting from the fire station that is only a block from my building and considered inland. We don't get the cross winds off the water that the airport gets. Yesterday and today I looked at the tree on the patio and across the street. There was not one leaf moving from a breeze.
Old 07-21-2017, 11:51 PM   #15506
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I've been eating a lot of homemade pickles lately... 😁
I just had some really salty andouille sausage and still not thirsty...must have needed the salt.
Old 07-22-2017, 01:45 AM   #15507
Chef Extraordinaire

I saw a picture of BC, Canada and it is covered in smoke haze. Not a pretty sight. LP, please stay inside. Even with a mask on, that smoke haze is just too thick. I hope you are not in any of the areas that are being evacuated. Take care and keep us informed of how well you are doing.
Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 AM   #15508
Sous Chef

Quote:
I'm guessing that you have a window unit and not central air, cj? I know GG suggested using a toaster oven to make small, cooked meals. Our first house had no central A/C nor window units. On the hottest of days I would take my toaster oven down to the basement and fix a meat that would be put to use for days worth of meals - something like a big meatloaf, or small, boneless ham, etc. My Mom had an enclosed back porch right off her kitchen, and she kept a table with a toaster oven out there all summer long!
No, we have central air, about 12 years old. The maintenance people suggested we start thinking about getting a new heating/ac unit put in sometime during the fall. It seems like or the last 2 winters we've had problems with it. We also need to get new ceiling fans put in.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #15509
Sous Chef

It's 86 outside, feels like 96. Did my cooking this AM, will do it again tomorrow AM.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #15510
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Looks like another day in the blast furnace for us. It was already 90F at 8:30 when I opened some of the blinds. When it's like this I don't open anything on the west side of the house as a preventative measure. Most of our blinds are 2-inch wooden ones, which are great heat/cold insulators when closed.

I have to run (in the car) up to the dollar store later for some milk. I'll wait until the mail has been delivered. I sure as heck ain't gonna walk down our long unshaded driveway to the mailbox. I'll slide by it in the car after I get the milk.