"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2017, 12:38 AM   #15611
Head Chef

It is pretty typical Dallas in August weather. It got up to 97, and it is 85 now at around midnight.

I just heard the mosquito sprayer go by. We had our first case of confirmed West Nile Virus recently, and mosquito pools are testing positive. I do my yard and garden work in the heat of the day, because it's better than having soak myself in OFF to work in the morning or evening.

CD

Old 08-11-2017, 11:53 AM   #15612
Sous Chef

75 and just getting rid of a thunderstorm. Supposed to be raining on and off all the way through either Wednesday or Thursday. Yuck......

cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:23 PM   #15613
Head Chef

Definitely cooler today. 4:30 pm and only 79° in here right now and most of the smoke has blown away. At least it's a lot clearer outside.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #15614
Chef Extraordinaire

The weather was perfect for our trip to the Farmer's Market today. Not too hot or chilly. A nice breeze

Right now it is 74ºF.

We have a new maintenance man. He speaks very, very little English. But what beautiful work he does. He doesn't just wipe off the windowsills in the halls. He scrubs them. So today when I came back from the Farmer's Market, I went into the Community Room to get my scooter, there he was cleaning the floor. He was sweating so hard. Now that room has a glass roof and the sun was beating down into that room. The temp had to be well over 100. I went over and turned the AC on high for him and then went over and turned the other one on in the TV room. He found a spot where it was blowing right on him. He looked at me and gave me the biggest smile. I then showed him how to turn it on. Earlier, when Pirate went down to get my mail, he was in the hallway cleaning and sweating. Pirate told him to come in and get some water. He handed him the pitcher from the fridge and turned to get a tall glass. Pirate turned around and the maintenance man was drinking right from the pitcher and drank the whole thing.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:28 PM   #15615
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Cloudy, 60°...perfect. I was able to get some yard work done today in the cooler weather.
Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #15616
Sous Chef

Rainy and 77 at 10:13am. We're also under a Flash Flood Watch until 8pm tonight.

GG, are you included in the Watch area?
Old 08-12-2017, 10:30 AM   #15617
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjmmytunes View Post
Rainy and 77 at 10:13am. We're also under a Flash Flood Watch until 8pm tonight.

GG, are you included in the Watch area?
Yup. We're in a little lull in the rain but more is coming. Good thing I don't have to go anywhere today.
Old 08-12-2017, 11:40 PM   #15618
Head Chef

It was typical August today, HOT, but turned wet this evening. We are just finishing round three, and about to start round four of thunderstorms. I'm fine with that. Rain in August is rare in North Texas, and this much is wonderful. This may last long enough to actually sink into the ground, instead of running off and leaving us dry in a day or two.

CD
Old 08-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #15619
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yup. We're in a little lull in the rain but more is coming. Good thing I don't have to go anywhere today.
And boy, did more rain come - we couldn't have gotten out of the neighborhood, even if we wanted to. It's raining a bit right now, but not nearly as bad as it was yesterday.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #15620
Sous Chef

It's 78 and raining ATM, but not as bad as yesterday.