"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #16711
Chef Extraordinaire

Temp is a beautiful 78degrees at 12:45. Great for grilling today.

My eye is on the news and my prayers are with Hawaii...Hurricane Lane is really doing a number on them.

(((Kgirl)))

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:24 PM   #16712
Executive Chef

We have a balmy 81 F outside at the moment (27 C). No humidity to speak of in comparison to earlier.

Hang in there Hawaii. Here's hoping it suddenly veers off to empty waters and let the fishies go deep.

Back to hail- my understanding was sleet was a mixture of rain, frozen rain and perhaps some wet frozen flakes mixed in. Hail was small pellets of ice, any size - no rain.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #16713
Sous Chef

fff
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
I am a "professional" petrol head. I photograph and write about cars for a living. My favorite Stang is a 1968 GT.

CD
Ot,but, mate had a 68 ragtop, restored from ground up. Sold when kids cane along, instantly regretted it. Bought it back 5 years later,still has it.
Any links to your pics?

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:50 PM   #16714
Sous Chef

10 deg c here. Grey and overcast.

Russ
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:19 PM   #16715
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
We have a balmy 81 F outside at the moment (27 C). No humidity to speak of in comparison to earlier.

Hang in there Hawaii. Here's hoping it suddenly veers off to empty waters and let the fishies go deep.

Back to hail- my understanding was sleet was a mixture of rain, frozen rain and perhaps some wet frozen flakes mixed in. Hail was small pellets of ice, any size - no rain.
Well, sleet is basically frozen rain. It happens in Winter.

Hail happens most often in Spring and Summer. You need warm air down low, and cold air up high. That creates updrafts, so water blows upward, freezes, accumulates more water, and gets bigger.

Eventually, gravity exceeds the updraft strength, and the hail makes it down to the ground.

Ah, did a YouTube search, and found this...

CD
Old 08-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #16716
Master Chef

Don't know what the temperature was y'day & today but I had the central heating on y'day evening and the fire on in the room I was working in today. It's AUGUST for goodness sake!

I think it's making up for the unusually hot summer we've had so far and showing us what it can do. Monday is August Bank Holiday and traditionally a weekend when people take their children to the seaside as a last fling of the school holidays. It usually rains.
Old 08-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #16717
Head Chef

The last two days have been perfectly wonderful here. Hope it is today also, as we have a BBQ dinner to go to. Started out as a fundraiser for the wife of my recently deceased friend, but it was recently revealed that she was involved in his murder and was arrested w/no bond. Now, the funds are going to the bands in the two high schools in our town. One is the band we both were in as students, the other is the band that his older children (from a previous relationship) was in as students.
cjmmytunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:59 PM   #16718
Executive Chef

RAIN!!! They are predicting record amounts for this time of year. I'm fine with it. All this rain knocks the ragweed pollen down. I'm breathing fine.

It is supposed to rain through Sunday. Hopefully, it will bring our municipal water supply lake (reservoir) back to 100-percent. It has dropped to 80-percent.

CD
Old 09-21-2018, 09:05 PM   #16719
Head Chef

Autumn is definitely here. No more highs above 100, and nighttime lows are in the high 60s. Still hot in the daytime, but not scorching. A welcome relief.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #16720
Executive Chef

Parts of Dallas got over 10-inches of rain in the last 24 hours. We got 2.5-inches where I live. More rain today.

CD