"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-14-2009, 10:19 PM   #3641
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Low here will be -20 to -25 F tonight.
Wind chill could be -50.

Go farther north it gets more fun.
ALix, do you seriously live like this all winter?????

DH drives overnights, here's to hoping he doesn't freeze while switching trailers.
:(

Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 AM   #3642
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Right now it is 34 degrees F. The weather just can't make up its mind around here. It has been unseasonably warm, but now it is suddenly getting cold at night. It is supposed to get down to 28 degrees F tonight, 19 tomorrow, and 10 Friday night. After that, the low is supposed to be in the mid-20s through Wednesday. The high temperature tomorrow is supposed to be 45, and Friday's high is supposed to be 35. We have to keep our electric use down, so we haven't been using the heater much. I mainly turn it on when we take a bath or shower. Fortunately the weather has cooperated for the most part. We use plenty of blankets at night when it is cold--I kind of like the bedroom cool as long as I have warm blankets to snuggle under.

Barbara

Old 01-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #3643
Master Chef

I used to love this kinda weather when I was a kid, not so much anymore!

It is currently -1F right now, cold cold cold! I am inside right now and shivering still... course part of that is because the wife has been sick the last few days so I have had to do the shoveling. I have a snow blower, but since she didn't clear off the gangway last fall and left bags of soil and yard waste there I can't get the snow blower to the front. So, I can clear out behind the garage and up to the house, but not the side of the house or front. I have to use the shovel for that.
I think I overdid it, cause I am in a lot of pain right now and can't get my heart rate down. I took some nitrates, but not helping much. And to think I used to laugh at the idea of getting a heart attack from shoveling snow!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:53 AM   #3644
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
I'm in the same boat as Suzi above ... absolute bitter cold and dangerous wind chills. They just called off every school from here to Michigan border, and of course my district was the last to call it. I actually think straight temps were 10* colder or so last night, but that wind is cruel!
Old 01-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #3645
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
I used to love this kinda weather when I was a kid, not so much anymore!

It is currently -1F right now, cold cold cold! I am inside right now and shivering still... course part of that is because the wife has been sick the last few days so I have had to do the shoveling. I have a snow blower, but since she didn't clear off the gangway last fall and left bags of soil and yard waste there I can't get the snow blower to the front. So, I can clear out behind the garage and up to the house, but not the side of the house or front. I have to use the shovel for that.
I think I overdid it, cause I am in a lot of pain right now and can't get my heart rate down. I took some nitrates, but not helping much. And to think I used to laugh at the idea of getting a heart attack from shoveling snow!
Hey there, you take care of yourself ... if the worst thing that happens is the snow has to wait a week to thaw and melt, that's better than what you are describing above. Sending well wishes your way ...
Old 01-15-2009, 01:59 AM   #3646
Master Chef

I had to dig out the car out front, otherwise they give you a ticket in this town. Your choices are move the car until after the plow has been thru or dig it out yourself. If the plow has gone by a second time and your car has not been uncovered (I think there is a time limit as well of 24hrs), they will call parking enforcement on you. $50 ticket right there, ugg.
I had the kids help, but I finished around 10pm and still can't stop shaking...
Old 01-15-2009, 02:01 AM   #3647
Sous Chef

Wierd here - was 37 at dawn and 89 by mid afternoon. The Santa Ana's just keep blowing. Will probably be warm through the weekend and then ???. Even tho we don't have what most folks would call winter, it at least gets cold enough to necessitate a jacket or sweater in the valleys and a coat on the shore. Wish that would start happening.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:04 AM   #3648
Sous Chef

Mav - Yeah. My bro in law in Naperville says the parking nazis give tickets if you even look crosseyed.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:05 AM   #3649
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Wierd here - was 37 at dawn and 89 by mid afternoon. The Santa Ana's just keep blowing. Will probably be warm through the weekend and then ???. Even tho we don't have what most folks would call winter, it at least gets cold enough to necessitate a jacket or sweater in the valleys and a coat on the shore. Wish that would start happening.
WOW that is quite a shift from 37 to 89, is that normal down there? And just curious, but I heard a lot of folks down there have their water heaters outside in a shack attached to the house, is that true or a myth?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:06 AM   #3650
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave the baker View Post
Mav - Yeah. My bro in law in Naperville says the parking nazis give tickets if you even look crosseyed.
Yup, once got one for parking more than 12" from the curb, I was 13 1/2" away....$25....geeesh.