What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a couple of close calls with tornadoes last night. I usually put on a nightgown and kick up long about 8 or 9. As it is, our alarms went off so I actually got up when I'd normally change for bed, and put on jeans, t-shirt, shoes, socks and at one point actually took shelter in the cellar. At one time hubby and I looked at each other and said, what is that sound? Yes, tornadoes do sound like a train. Luckily the ones that came close enough to set of the civil defense alarms went well south of us, but we actually did hear one of them.

Speaking of critters, there seem to be more insects in the house than usual, and last night a bat. Taking shelter?

Thank goodness they missed you. Have any tornadoes ever hit your town in the past? I don't know which is worse. A #5 tornado or a #5 hurricane. They are both so destructive and dangerous. This storm that we are supposed to get is supposed to turn into a Nor'easter. Not a fun storm either. So far the weather broadcasters haven't gotten it right. They very rarely do.

Seems like the critters knew before you did, what was coming. :angel:

Without a doubt this is NOT June weather! :( Cold rain, low 50s. I should not be sitting here wearing a sweatshirt: I refuse to turn on the heat. :mad: Maybe I'll sweet talk Himself into building a fire in our fireplace later - the one nice thing I can salvage from this crummy weather day.

On the plus side, our below-moisture level for the year has been met and exceeded. We started out June about 4 inches below what we should have had so far in 2013. Rain/snow content is now about 2+ inches more than we need. Wet blessings. :)

hot and humid. Today's high 95.

There is a big line of severe storms coming through that will cool us back down to the 80's. I hope that the storm doesn't start any tornadoes!

You must be getting what we had yesterday, BC. Thankfully, nothing too bad, though some around us got it. Stay safe!

84°F, sunny, and really gnatty here. Hope those critters disappear soon.

Last edited:
Luckily no tornadoes! Our friend at the farm had her two greenhouses blown over and there are trees down and power outages all over town!

Our power surged a bit but we didn't lose it. A friend down the road lost his as well as friends across town. It was a very strong storm, but went through pretty quick. My mom and partner were on the way home from the mall in my mom's rental car, a gust of wind hit them and my mom thought for sure that the car had been hit. She's not used to this kind of weather up north! I said, "welcome to the south!"

Thank goodness they missed you. Have any tornadoes ever hit your town in the past? I don't know which is worse. A #5 tornado or a #5 hurricane. They are both so destructive and dangerous. This storm that we are supposed to get is supposed to turn into a Nor'easter. Not a fun storm either. So far the weather broadcasters haven't gotten it right. They very rarely do.

Seems like the critters knew before you did, what was coming. :angel:

Yeah, Galena and Dubuque are anomalies in the mostly flat areas of Iowa and Illinois. We are not flat, and tornadoes seem to like flatter geography. But better safe than sorry. I think the worst I experienced was living in a trailer at a military installation in North Dakota. It was an old trailer, even then (mid 70s), the kind with jalousie windows, and all the windows popped open. Boy, was I scared. We ran to the nearest shelter and the tornado missed us, but we were all huddled in the shelter!

Thankfully, we had no damage from the storms. There was some wind but the lightning was quite a ways off. I understand that some areas to the north and west of us had it pretty rough. The forecast was pretty intimidating, however, and we kept a sharp eye on the skies. I hope everyone affected by these storms experienced only minimal damage and our prayers go out to all who who did suffer.

Do any of you remember the Catagory 5 hurricane that hit Homestead, FL in 1992? The whole town was wiped off the map. Not a building was left standing. The devasatation was worse the Moore, OK. I remember two news shots. One was from a helicopter flying around the perimeter of the town. Nothing. Absolutely nothing was left standing. Not even a piece of board. The second shot was of a couple holding a baby and both of them sitting on the ground sobbing together in front of an empty cement pad. It used to be their home. The reason I remember these two images so well is that the reporter had the good sense to keep his mouth shut. There was nothing that could be said.

Thank you God for never allowing me to have to live through anything like that. The closest I ever came was when my youngest daughter was six months old. We were living on the third floor of a triple decker and the old tree in the back yard came crashing through the roof and into my kitchen. Oddly enough we didn't lose the phone or electricity. The fire department felt it was too dangerous for us to go out down the front steps so they took us out over the ladders. I was young and naive enough to think they were being over cautious. They took us to the police station. One of the cops who had a baby at home went and got some diapers and formula for my daughter, and the rest of the cops cooked a meal for the other two kids. We went to stay with my sister until the house was repaired. About a week. :angel:

Last edited:
Do any of you remember the Catagory 5 hurricane that hit Homestead, FL in 1992? The whole town was wiped off the map. Not a building was left standing. The devasatation was worse the Moore, OK....

I do because we've had family in FL since 1971 - always keep tabs on what's happening down there. It's kinda hard to compare hurricanes to tornadoes though. They're both very damaging but, if people are being smart, people in the path of a hurricane have the advantage of picking up their most valuable possessions and all living things and getting out. Not much of a warning with a tornado, just the idea of it being "tornado weather". Sad when people anywhere suffer loss and damage from severe weather. :(

Rain heading our way from Iowa, coming up from the south they say. It's cooled off with a nice breeze.

Do any of you remember the Catagory 5 hurricane that hit Homestead, FL in 1992? The whole town was wiped off the map. Not a building was left standing. The devasatation was worse the Moore, OK. I remember two news shots. One was from a helicopter flying around the perimeter of the town. Nothing. Absolutely nothing was left standing. Not even a piece of board. The second shot was of a couple holding a baby and both of them sitting on the ground sobbing together in front of an empty cement pad. It used to be their home. The reason I remember these two images so well is that the reporter had the good sense to keep his mouth shut. There was nothing that could be said.

Thank you God for never allowing me to have to live through anything like that. The closest I ever came was when my youngest daughter was six months old. We were living on the third floor of a triple decker and the old tree in the back yard came crashing through the roof and into my kitchen. Oddly enough we didn't lose the phone or electricity. The fire department felt it was too dangerous for us to go out down the front steps so they took us out over the ladders. I was young and naive enough to think they were being over cautious. They took us to the police station. One of the cops who had a baby at home went and got some diapers and formula for my daughter, and the rest of the cops cooked a meal for the other two kids. We went to stay with my sister until the house was repaired. About a week. :angel:

Yes, we were actually living in Florida at the time, although not in the area. Being a military family, we knew of people stationed at Homestead AFB. Mom & I collected money to send to Air Force personnel stationed there who were wiped out. It was horrid.

The rain started here at 9 30 am. It was very dark outside. Downpour. Its noon now & the sun is shining w a blue sky in SE. S.D.

It's partly cloudy, turning overcast. Very hot (mid 90's and humid). I've been using more a/c lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom