What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah!!! Were you live is entirely relevant to how you view weather!
Born in Hamilton, ON... snow belt but not super cold.
moved to the Twin Cities... lots of snow but still not super cold.
then on to Germany and Switzerland... again, lots of snow but not super cold...
back to Toronto area, yechh.. rain and fog
Vancouver, BC.... city - mostly rain... but lots of snow outside the area.
Montreal... we had more than a month of below 40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit... same thing )... now THAT was a shocker! When it climbed up to 0 Fahrenheit... people were dancing in the street.
Was that in 1994? I remember it getting that cold for about a week. Then I went to visit family in California, just in time for the Northridge quake. :ermm: I expected to get back to Montreal and normal winter temps, but it was still deep freeze (actually colder than a deep freezer) for weeks. While I was away, it had thawed for one day. That made the snow on the sidewalks start to melt, and then it froze hard and slick. It was so slippery, that teenage boys were walking like grannies. :ohmy::LOL:

..... back to Toronto area, yechh.. rain and fog.....
Montreal... we had more than a month of below 40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit... same thing )... now THAT was a shocker! When it climbed up to 0 Fahrenheit... people were dancing in the street.

Himself said Toronto sounds like Columbus OH. He went to college at THE Ohio State University and (for a year) road a motorcycle to school. Brrrr! And 40 below? Sounds like the weather his college friend put up with....in Alaska! Himself said his friend never wore anything warmer than a flannel shirt over his T-shirts down there! :LOL:

Love your sig, but for me the go-to "condiment" is bacon. EVERYthing tastes better with bacon! :yum:

It's still snowing. And blowing. I've got three foot drifts to deal with this morning. We need a melt.

No. It is coming from the roof. The water is seeping down between the walls. There is nothing they can do until the temps go above 32ºF. They have needed a whole new roof and have just been patching for the past six years. There is no damage to my apartment except for the ceiling. I figure sooner or later the ceiling will come down. Nothing under where it is leaking. :angel:

If water is coming down from the roof between the walls, and has been for years, there is probably mold behind the walls and the water could cause electrical damage, and possibly a fire. I'm surprised the management of a building for poor, elderly people is allowed to get away with that.

Doesn't sound stupid to me. It was a shocker to me my first winter in Montreal. I have pierced ears and I was in pain. I don't notice a problem from my wedding ring, but I usually wear gloves and it doesn't go through anything.
:angel:

It stopped snowing around 21h. It's still -13C (9F). I just took out the garbage. I wore my leather jacket and shoes - no hat, no gloves, no boots, no scarf and it felt cold, but not horrible. (Yes, I was wearing trousers, etc. I don't want PF getting even for my smart-arse comment yesterday. ;))

No earrings... how indecent of you!!!:ohmy:

Was that in 1994? :ohmy:

I think it was in 1966/67. Just before Expo. I was living in Park Ex and was glad there was an apartment above and one below. Helped keep it warmer! I believe the year before that we had tons of snow, I think we got about 10" every weekend during most of Jan and Feb. Streets were down to one lane, nobody could find their cars and if you did, you didn't dare take it out as the spot would not be there when you came back. City didn't even try to clear the side streets.

If water is coming down from the roof between the walls, and has been for years, there is probably mold behind the walls and the water could cause electrical damage, and possibly a fire. I'm surprised the management of a building for poor, elderly people is allowed to get away with that.

This building is managed by HUD. Federal Govt. Typical management. I have one of the smaller leaks in my ceiling. The first floor gets flooded in heavy rains. There have been times when HUD has had to put a couple of residents up in a nearby motel.

I once lived in an apartment that had all the heating pipes for all three apartments running right under my floors. They were toasty warm all winter and helped keep my heating bill way down. Spent the whole winter walking barefoot.

We get the Montreal Express in the winter. And I certainly do not want to thank any of you Canadians for that. Almost as bad as a Nor'easter in the winter.

I stay inside all winter. If I have to go out, it is from the door to the car in a matter of seconds. And to think I used to go to work and wait for the bus in a short skirt and heels in this weather. :angel:

This building is managed by HUD. Federal Govt. Typical management.

I don't really know what that means, having never lived in government-owned housing, but black mold inside the walls can cause serious respiratory problems, especially in elderly people whose immune systems may be compromised. There must be someone to report it to beyond the building's management. A local TV station, maybe.

I don't really know what that means, having never lived in government-owned housing, but black mold inside the walls can cause serious respiratory problems, especially in elderly people whose immune systems may be compromised. There must be someone to report it to beyond the building's management. A local TV station, maybe.

This is the first time I have had a leak in the seven years I have lived here. Right now they are up on the roof working on where the leak is. Evidently there has been a leak in that spot before. It is a patched over spot. But I have never smelled any off odor or had health problems. It stopped leaking last night and hasn't started again. I didn't even get a full saucepan of water from the leak. I am sure Frank will be around to take a look at my ceiling. I will ask him about the possibility of mold. He is the Head of Maintenance for the Management Company. :angel:

.....We get the Montreal Express in the winter. And I certainly do not want to thank any of you Canadians for that. Almost as bad as a Nor'easter in the winter.

...And to think I used to go to work and wait for the bus in a short skirt and heels in this weather. :angel:
I hadn't heard that term "Montreal Express" until now Addie, but it sounds a lot like the Alberta Clippers that fly across the Great Lakes. If Lake Erie isn't frozen over when the come barreling in we can get a couple feet of snow out of one storm. :ohmy: Either way you look at it, our neighbors to the north are hardy people since they have that kind of weather more than we do.

I remember shorts skirts and cold weather. BRRR! Our son was in Cleveland just a few weeks ago and posted a photo from the mall area where I used to wait for the bus. He couldn't believe I'd stand there with a short skirt and no hat! He was bundled and he was freezing. Wimp! :LOL:

I hadn't heard that term "Montreal Express" until now Addie, but it sounds a lot like the Alberta Clippers that fly across the Great Lakes. If Lake Erie isn't frozen over when the come barreling in we can get a couple feet of snow out of one storm. :ohmy: Either way you look at it, our neighbors to the north are hardy people since they have that kind of weather more than we do.

I remember shorts skirts and cold weather. BRRR! Our son was in Cleveland just a few weeks ago and posted a photo from the mall area where I used to wait for the bus. He couldn't believe I'd stand there with a short skirt and no hat! He was bundled and he was freezing. Wimp! :LOL:

I would rather live in Canada than up by Oswego, NY. Every year they really get hit hard from the "lake effect" off Lake Erie. I remember one year they got 27 feet of snow in 24 hours. Yes, I did type "feet". :angel:

I would rather live in Canada than up by Oswego, NY. Every year they really get hit hard from the "lake effect" off Lake Erie. I remember one year they got 27 feet of snow in 24 hours. Yes, I did type "feet". :angel:
Must have been a 27-foot drift. I couldn't believe 27 FEET so I googled it. Many sources mention this as the record:
The world record for the most snowfall in a 24-hour period was set in the town of Silver Lake, Colorado, where 76 inches of snow fell on April 14 and 15, 1921. Eighty-seven inches of snow were recorded for the entire storm which lasted less than 28 hours.

It's currently -21C (-6F). It got all the way up to -17C (1F) today.

This is what it looked like yesterday:

20131215_151641-SNOW.gif

Yup, from Wikipedia, " In 2007, Oswego gained national attention when approximately 130" (slightly less than 11 feet) of snow fell in a two-week timespan. This broke the record of the Blizzard of 1966, which blanketed the city with 102" of snow."
Oswego, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Heat wave in SE S.D. today. High of 31F. Most of the streets are melted off, just wet. Now I can go back to a lighter jacket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom