What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now it's 30 degrees. We are supposed to have light snow today and tomorrow, no accumulation, but the temp is going down to 19 tomorrow. We are watching our 5 yo grandson tomorrow so we better have lots for him to do inside!

The weather and what to do about it.

Went up to the stables on the bus this am (post-Christmas economy drive/get fit for Spring campaign). Howling gale (to put it mildly) and driving rain. Struggled to walk down the lane to the farm as I was against the wind. It had got worse by the time I left and at the bus stop I had my arm hooked round the bus stop sign so I wouldn't be blown into the road and mashed by a delivery van.

Like most of my life it seemed a good idea at the time = free old biddies' bus pass (bless the labour government) and the round trip involves walking a mile but it's split into 4 short sprints so not too strenuous a fitness plan. I plan to do it 5 times a week (no bus on Sunday and I need to allow for "emergencies" and take the car a couple of times a week).

Arrived home tired, buffeted, wet and cold. I think economy drives will have to be put off until the weather improves and I think I'm fit enough without my 5 (miles) a week.

Now sitting in front of a roaring fire with a cup of tea and a slice of homemade bread and raspberry jam. The "horse fairy" is putting Horse to bed tonight so I don't have to go out again. What to do? decisions decisions. Shall I read, knit, watch a DVD, have a snooze? Oh the joys of retirement.

Watched the Christmas "Downton Abbey" last night. Woke up this morning and found myself worrying about Branson's future. What is the matter with me! :wacko:

Last edited:
Mad Cook, I think we get free senior bus passes in our area too, but we have never taken advantage of them. I will have to look into it. We don't go into the Pittsburgh area too often because there's so much traffic, detours, and traffic patterns are hard to decipher sometimes.

Mad Cook, I think we get free senior bus passes in our area too, but we have never taken advantage of them. I will have to look into it. We don't go into the Pittsburgh area too often because there's so much traffic, detours, and traffic patterns are hard to decipher sometimes.
We can use ours on local bus services all over the UK and our Greater Manchester ones can be used on local train services tin the area too.

Not sure if mine will be renewed next year as there has been a bit of a kerfuffle about the current government discontinuing them. There are those who don't want to spend money on "unproductive" old people. Given that a lot of us are still tax payers and do useful volunteer jobs that without us would have to be done by paid employees, it's a bit thick!.

A lot of the complaints seem to come from young professionals who are interviewed on the radio about how old people are a financial drain on society. When yet another one is at it on current affairs programmes I find myself screaming at the radio "Who do you think paid the income tax that financed your education to get you where you are now. Whose National Insurance contributions paid for your safe delivery at birth, the doctors when you caught chicken pox or broke your arm and for your teeth to be straightened by the orthodontist?"

Sorry, rant over.

Last edited:
In Copenhagen, the transit passes for seniors are very cheap. There is a catch. It's not valid in rush hour. I think that is a great idea. Most seniors can do most of the stuff they need to do by public transit outside of rush hour. Makes better use of the buses.

In Copenhagen, the transit passes for seniors are very cheap. There is a catch. It's not valid in rush hour. I think that is a great idea. Most seniors can do most of the stuff they need to do by public transit outside of rush hour. Makes better use of the buses.

TL, during my working days on the way home, the bus made a stop right outside a supermarket. Every single night there would be an elderly loaded down with bags. The driver is not allowed to get out of his seat unless it is an emergency. So the old folks would just have to try to get on the bus with all their bags as best they could. The other riders are tired and do not feel like getting up either to help. Then as soon as the doors close, the driver would start the bus. They waited at least 20 minutes and couldn't use that time to get their dime out? They expected the driver to wait until they dug down deep into their purse and found a dime. Sorry, he has a busload of passengers who want to get home. Some drivers would tell them to not bother paying the dime. Others insisted. I was with the ones that insisted. Then they refused to move back into the bus behind the white line. Thus they blocked the door when someone had to get off.

The other passengers are tired and want to just get home. Why didn't these elderly go shopping during the daytime when the buses had only a few passengers? Every day of the week it was always the same. I can't blame the rest of the passengers or the bus driver for not giving them special treatment. My favorite ones were those that didn't have a dime on them. But they had a one or five dollar bill. They would ask if anyone could change it for them. Of course the driver was going to tell them to forget it. But there was one driver I just loved. He began to recognize the ones who pulled this every time. Even before they began to pick up their bags to get on, he would ask them if they had their dime. If they said No, he would tell them to go back into the store and make some change and he would get them on the next time he came by. He would close the door and take off.

For some of the elderly it was a game to see if they could beat the bus for a dime. :angel:

It's snowing. It just started coming down in earnest fifteen minutes ago. We're supposed to get 10" or so by Thursday. It's not going to be a good day for driving. I can't even see across the road.

We saw the weather last night and it looks like northern OH is getting nailed tomorrow. We're far enough south for it to be light down here.

Right now this turkey is freezing her tail feathers off...15 degrees right now and it's only going to get colder. BRR. ..

I went out several times today without my sweater. It's now 36°F and been sprinkling all day...too warm!!!

Right now it's 31 degrees and clear. We are supposed to get a snow storm Thursday into Friday. I am in the 3 - 5 inch range, but we're right on the edge of the 4 - 8 inch range, so who knows what we will get. I'm not going out anywhere because my cold is going from bad to worse and I feel terrible. I need some home made chicken soup!

I so want snow. I would love to be snowed in the the rest of the week. I've done all of the incantations for snow: Snow Dance, wearing clothing inside out, etc. I really deserve snow.

We may get some snow on Thursday....but....snow tonight would be awesome...and did I mention that I want more than a tiny dusting?

Freakin' cold but not as cold as it is in Northern MN (-65 where my parents live--cold enough to toss hot water in the air and have it freeze on the way down...perhaps the source of the words that froze in the air in the Paul Bunyan and Babe stories)? I would use the furnace, but the HSI failed...part on order (delayed because of the holidays) so it is wood only, lots of layers, and checking the weather to see if this friggin' cold weather will break--enough already.

A lot of good it did to break down and get a propane fill (first time in 2 years I have caved and not been able to heat with just wood...).

Last edited:
Bitter cold in SE South Dakota! You do not want to be outside to long here. It feels like the cold burns your skin. 10 below 0 with that darn wind.

As CWS wrote, it's freakin' cold. Windchill factors down to -55°C (-67°F).

This is our current weather and forecast. For comparison purposes: 0°F = -18°C and -40°F = -40°C.

Attachments

• 2014-01-01 weather.gif
    2014-01-01 weather.gif
    90.5 KB · Views: 163
What is it with this winter? Plus we had a miserably hot and humid summer in NEXT. I remember these kinds of weather swings back when I was younger...and didn't miss them in the least.

14ºF Big lazy snowflakes are drifting slowly to the ground and it's a picture perfect moment. Tonight and tomorrow it turns nasty and we get howling winds and drifting snow up to 10" total.

Attachments

• DSC04271.jpg
    DSC04271.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 179
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom