What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are predicting temps as low as -40 in some parts of northern Minnesota from Sunday through Wednesday.

My kid is driving four hours north to head back to school on Monday. I'm worried about her, since she has no concept of this kind of cold. I noticed she had been wearing a pea coat and ugg boots for the past few days. I asked her last night where her (expensive) heavy insulated coat is.

"Oh it's up at school."

I asked, "You do realize it will be 15 to 25 below on your drive back to school Monday night?"

"Yeah. But I'll be in a car."

"And what if something happens to your car on the way back? For instance, you have a flat tire or slide off the road?", I persisted.

"Stop nagging. I'll be fine!"

This is why I worry. I'm putting blankets and food in the car, whether she likes it or not. :wacko:

I drove into a blizzard once, which froze the thermostat on the car. I was in between Cheyenne and Casper, WY. Nothing on either side of the road and the thermostat was frozen such that I HAD NO HEAT in the car. None. The only protection I had in the car was I was out of the wind. Stuff happens. You have to be ready for it.

Kids are not invincible, they prove that every day. I hope she listens to you and make her as safe as possible for her drive. Good Luck, Steve.

Steve, I went through the same thing with my daughter. And she is in her 50's. Fortunately she was old enough to see I was right. She only lives ten minutes on the Xway from her job. But if there is a spinout or accident, she could be sitting there for a long time in bad weather. Stick to your guns. Steve. There are times when "Father knows best!" :angel:

It's still warm here, too, 32F.
They were calling for snow starting before dawn and lasting until Tuesday, bringing with it another 12". Now it isn't supposed to start until this afternoon and it's going to be mixed with rain. It looks like another icey situation followed by another snow storm. It has been a few days...
I better snowblow the drifts out of the driveway before they freeze.

It's 44 degrees right now. A real heat wave! We are supposed to get 1-4 overnight and the temps are going to go waaaay down. I have to go to the store because I haven't been out anywhere for about a week. The stores are going to be crowded because of the snow that's coming, and I only need a few things, but if I need them, I need them. DH can shop for some things, and some he can't.

15°F with winds @ 16 MPH so it feels like -3°F. Shrek is taking me over to the mall so I can get a walk in.

Bitter cold in SE South Dakota. All schools, and everything else, is closed tomorrow. It's 15 below 0 now with a 40 below 0 windchill. They are talking 55 below windchill for tomorrow morning. It burns your face from the cold to be out for more than a couple of minutes. The wind is 26 mph. which makes it feel colder. Minnesota closed schools for Monday & Tuesday.

It's a mess out there. Freezing rain, buses cancelled already through to tomorrow some time, warnings, fatal accident just a few miles away. Staying put.
We'll be getting that tonight. The freezing rain has just started. I have no intention of going out, 'til maybe sometime on Tuesday. Well, I'll see how traffic is tomorrow. I need to pick up my replacement car key.

Weather here is whacky. It got cold so no open windows for a week, then warmed up so windows were open for a couple of days. Now, the Northwest winds have picked up and are kicking at over 20 MPH and the temperature is dropping into the 20's. Ack!!

What are you Northernmost folks (Alix!) blowing back at us poor Gulf coastal people??

Global warming? Yeah, right!

I keep switching between my sweats and my shorts. Sheesh!

Last edited:
Weather here is whacky. It got cold so no open windows for a week, then warmed up so windows were open for a couple of days. Now, the Northwest winds have picked up and are kicking at over 20 MPH and the temperature is dropping into the 20's. Ack!!

What are you Northernmost folks (Alix!) blowing back at us poor Gulf coastal people??

Global warming? Yeah, right!

I keep switching between my sweats and my shorts. Sheesh!
A little something for you Z:
global-warming-hoax.jpg

It's a balmy 67 degrees with low humidi...oh, you meant outside the house? :huh: Well, earlier this evening the only way I knew there was a house across the street is because I had seen it before. Between the fog and ice crystals in the air all I saw was a white blur. The roads are looking pretty shiny too. Tonight and tomorrow are unseasonably warm, about 50 and rainy Monday. Tuesday? 15 for a high. Himself and I took a quick trip down the hill to our close little grocery store (3/4 of a mile) and I got provisions for a few days of cooking. I'll make a run to the big grocery store late this week when the weather turns more normal for January.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom