"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #5741
Executive Chef

They are calling for record breaking heat here in the Ottawa Valley today. I just hope we don't get a storm like we did last sunday. Knocked power out for a whole day. Scary stuff, too. Blew a massive stage down at a music festival in Ottawa, while the band Cheap Trick was playing.

Old 07-21-2011, 04:37 PM   #5742
Master Chef

We hit 100 today with a heat index of 110 to 112 depending on the source of the data. It has been breezy so it is not as bad as it could be.

This whole heat dome thing reminds me of an episode of the Twilight Zone called The Midnight Sun.

Old 07-21-2011, 05:04 PM   #5743
Chef Extraordinaire

still hot and sunny. hate to fire up the oven but need to bake a cake .
Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 PM   #5744
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Not quite as hot as it has been, but still a HI over 100. Unfortunately, the pool felt like a big warm bathtub. Not even remotely refreshing.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:16 PM   #5745
Executive Chef

Too hot to do anything here. Shoot! And here I was so looking forward to working hard today. Now, all I have to do is sit around and drink cold beer. Life sucks!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #5746
Chef Extraordinaire

It is 34C with the humidex, it feels like 45. I'm sticky, grumpy, stinky (and I've taken 2 cool showers already today). I am really fighting the urge to turn on the portable room A/C...trying to hold out until TOU rates drop to the lowest rate for the day at 7:00 p.m. Dalton obviously didn't think about those of us who work from home, the retirees, moms home on mat leave with babies, etc., when he made peak rates 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Rates are 66% higher during those hours. I will have the A/C units running Friday 7 p.m. until Monday 7 a.m. to get some of the stickiness out of the house...the floors feel sticky (hardwood). Oh shoot, I have to stay in the City tomorrow night...but I'll come home Saturday morning early and start the A/C units. Or, maybe I'll beg off and not go to the "work sponsored" free dinner...probably not worth the drive if I'm going to be hot and sticky when I leave...I couldn't spend the day drinking cold beer--I have deadlines tomorrow. And, with this heat, I'm working slow--making silly mistakes--brain doesn't function at peak performance rate when I'm grumpy, sticky, and stinky. I'd welcome a storm to knock this humidty out (Isabelle's sleeping--that means there isn't a storm coming any time soon--she starts passing about 2 hours before a storm hits). I don't want another storm like we had Sunday--that was wicked. I didn't lose my power, just had brown outs and fluttering. I've already missed one day in this production cycle because of a power failure. I can't afford another one tomorrow since I'm leaving on Thursday for MN and need to have all the documents on the server for the reviewers before I leave. I must have Internet access and the battery on my work laptop only lasts about 5 hours.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:47 PM   #5747
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

down to 98 (heat index 104)

Baking a cake in the oven, had to bake something eventually!

Should be 102 tomorrow.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #5748
Master Chef

Timothy, broken a/c in St Augustine? My heart goes out to you. I feel better now (I used to live near there).
Old 07-21-2011, 06:56 PM   #5749
Everymom

Wow...you guys are roasting. Nasty. We're at a pleasant 24C here which is about 78F. Anyone want to come over for a nice cool dinner?
Old 07-21-2011, 09:16 PM   #5750
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Rumblings...what is that falling from the sky?

OMG, it's wet! Can it be?

Rain!

Crap, and then it's gone.