What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
never heard that expression taxlady..... wha??
I don't think that is an expression. But, when there is lots of snow and a clear skies, you get some blue shadows at dusk. I find you see them most often when the shadow is from something in front of electric light. I think it's the dark blue of the sky that does it. It doesn't last very long and it isn't very obvious.

We have 35°F right now. We're expecting anywhere from 5-10" of snow tomorrow afternoon and into Wednesday. That will close us down through Thursday. Friday is supposed to be close to 50, so it will all disappear.

I once mentioned Roy Rogers to my sons and they said..... Who???

I nearly had a heart attack!

could not believe they did not know Roy rogers, Dale Evans, Buttermilk, Trigger, Champion, Bullet, oh gosh, golly, gee whiz.... so many others! Breaks my heart they don't know them :(:(:(

I once mentioned Roy Rogers to my sons and they said..... Who???

I nearly had a heart attack!

could not believe they did not know Roy rogers, Dale Evans, Buttermilk, Trigger, Champion, Bullet, oh gosh, golly, gee whiz.... so many others! Breaks my heart they don't know them :(:(:(

You forgot Sons of the Pioneers. His backup singing group. :angel:

dragnlaw, Windows 8 is the only thing that has stopped me from whining "I want a new computer" to my Tech Support (my hubby). For him it's been a blessing. ;)

Saw this list of the coldest U.S. cities online today. Read it and weep - but only inside, or your face might freeze like that!

America's 20 Coldest Major Cities - weather.com

I would l like to know what that site considers sub zero temperatures vs. sub freezing? 32ºF. and below is freezing. :angel:

Addie, sub-zero temperatures are just that...a Fahrenheit reading below zero. Seeing how Boston gets only one below-zero day a every year or every-other year you aren't familiar with them. ;) We used to live basically between Cleveland and Akron; they are both listed at averaging 3 to 4 below-zero days a winter. It was really exciting that one night in January 2000 when the low of the night was -18...and our gas furnace was not working! Our builder did put a heat pump in instead of an air conditioner, so we did have that. Unfortunately, heat pumps lose their ability to heat efficiently somewhere around 32 degrees. It was a brisk 50 degrees when we woke up on Monday, more than happy to see the furnace repairman at my door at 8:00 AM!

Addie, sub-zero temperatures are just that...a Fahrenheit reading below zero. Seeing how Boston gets only one below-zero day a every year or every-other year you aren't familiar with them. ;) We used to live basically between Cleveland and Akron; they are both listed at averaging 3 to 4 below-zero days a winter. It was really exciting that one night in January 2000 when the low of the night was -18...and our gas furnace was not working! Our builder did put a heat pump in instead of an air conditioner, so we did have that. Unfortunately, heat pumps lose their ability to heat efficiently somewhere around 32 degrees. It was a brisk 50 degrees when we woke up on Monday, more than happy to see the furnace repairman at my door at 8:00 AM!

I know that. But the site you showed for the coldest cities, all stated their sub zero temps. vs. sub freezing temps. What's the difference? Anything below 32ºF. is freezing. No matter what you call it. :angel:

I would guess sub-zero is just that, temps below zero. Sub-freezing is below 32F, which may include temps below zero.

My temp is 0F right now, which is sub-freezing, but not sub-zero.
We just got another couple inches last night. Thankfully nowhere near the foot they have been calling for by Tuesday. I wonder if it missed us or if it is late in coming...

1F here! Lots of wind gusts keeping the new snow moving, whiteouts are making the driving tough this morning!

I need to go out this morning to make a drug run and pick up a sack of groceries.

I'm going to swing by the lake to watch the snow devils swirl across the frozen surface of the lake and sparkle in the morning sun.

"Everything evens up in the end. The rich man has his ice in the summer and the poor man gets his in the winter." From the first Four Years by Laura Ingalls Wilder

We were 68 yesterday. Today we're getting a snow storm!

I have to go to work, I'm going in early because I'm sure that my boss is getting hit pretty hard with panic snow shoppers. I'm not looking forward to driving home in it, I can handle it just fine, I am worried about other idiots, and I've had my car back from the body shop for less than a week!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

Right now it's 8 degrees. Was below 0 a few hours ago. Did anyone hear about the snow rollers, where the combination of wind and snow causes the snow to "roll" into balls? We looked out today and we have 2 small ones in our yard.

PS. I am one of the idiots you have to watch out for driving in snow. LOL

I've seen those little balls rolling across my yard before. They never get bigger than golf ball size, but it's kind of neat.

I've seen those little balls rolling across my yard before. They never get bigger than golf ball size, but it's kind of neat.
pac - You must get these things on the Lake Erie shoreline. We don't get them here on Lake Simcoe but they get a lot of them up on Georgian Bay.

img_1340049_0_9fea41e52b7a43a000cd4baffa85d740.jpg

I know that. But the site you showed for the coldest cities, all stated their sub zero temps. vs. sub freezing temps. What's the difference? Anything below 32ºF. is freezing. No matter what you call it. :angel:
Anything below 32 degrees is "cold". Anything zero or colder is "holy crud is it freakin' cold!!!".
happy-090.gif

Since the caption reads "... Subfreezing temperatures occur 94 days a year there...." I'm thinking that they consider the day "sub-freezing" if the temperature dips below 32 degrees at anytime during the 24-hour period, not that the high of the day is under 32 degrees. Kinda like the days I wake up to the furnace running but, by mid-afternoon, I'm thinking of turning on the A/C because the breeze through the open windows is becoming oppressively humid. :LOL:

I think I mentioned this before, but I do not consider it "cold" until it is below 0 Fahrenheit. which is about -18 Celsius ( I think, didn't look it up).

My cheeks and forehead start to feel it, especially if there is a breeze. The snow has a high pitched squeek when you walk.

Minus 10 F is not nice.... minus 20 is bad... minus 30 is nasty.

I once bundled up myself, saddled my horse, went for a ride taking the dogs. When I saw dogs stopping every few feet and holding up their paws I turned around and went home. checked the temp .. it was -40 - I felt so bad/guilty/embarrassed - could not believe I didn't check before I went out. That was a really unfair thing to do to my poor dogs, horse didn't mind too much but still - I'll never forget it or forgive myself for being so stupid and inconsiderate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom