What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pac - You must get these things on the Lake Erie shoreline. We don't get them here on Lake Simcoe but they get a lot of them up on Georgian Bay.

img_1340105_0_9fea41e52b7a43a000cd4baffa85d740.jpg

Holy cow! Are you guys shooting those at us?! :LOL:
I have never seen them. We get lots of ice dunes though, which are pretty neat looking. They are like rolling hills, or dunes, formed by the waters along the shore, but they are hollow inside. Every once in a while someone will fall through one into the lake. They can get quite high above the surface, 10-15 ft.

Addie, below freezing is, as others have said, less than 32°F. As dragnlaw said, it is really cold below 0°F (yes, that is -18°C). At that temperature and colder, you can't keep yourself warm outside by working. It's a killing temperature. It's sort of the boundary between cold and holy smokes, it's cold out!

We're at 1°F, a veritable heat wave! We had a 2 hour school delay this morning.

Snow, UGH!

Reasons I dislike snow

Makes my feet wet
makes the roads crappy
I work in a grocery store and deal with people freaking out
having to scrape my car
salt and dirt on the road will make my car dirty
I dealt with way too much of it in the first half of my life

Thanks for reading my whine...

Snow, UGH!

Reasons I dislike snow

Makes my feet wet
makes the roads crappy
I work in a grocery store and deal with people freaking out
having to scrape my car
salt and dirt on the road will make my car dirty
I dealt with way too much of it in the first half of my life

Thanks for reading my whine...

So...your favorite whine is..."I want to go to Miami.":ROFLMAO:

We were 68 yesterday. Today we're getting a snow storm!

I have to go to work, I'm going in early because I'm sure that my boss is getting hit pretty hard with panic snow shoppers. I'm not looking forward to driving home in it, I can handle it just fine, I am worried about other idiots, and I've had my car back from the body shop for less than a week!

Sent from my IdeaTabA2109A using Discuss Cooking mobile app

That is because you are from Maine. We northerners just love to brag about how we take this weather for granted. We express our sympathy for our southern friends, while all the while tee heeing inside to ourselves about such weaklings. That was last year.

This year has been brutal to all of the nation. This is not our normal winter. For any part of the country. California is in the middle of a damaging drought. Look for food costs to rise if they don't get rain soon. And what products are damaged from lack of rain, we then look to Texas to fill in the gap. Sorry folks, they are getting a taste of this cold also. Hardly conducive to a bumper crop.

Fortunately we only get this bitter cold every few years. It is not the norm. Buck up folks. It will end soon. And I promise, I am not laughing inside. :angel:

weather 1/29

it's cold. it's also windy, icy, snowy, & so forth, & I'm embracing winter time-

Winter in the South

I have been watching the National Weather Channel. To all our Southern Friends.

Please be careful. You are not used to this snow and ice like the folks up north are. There are children who have been kept at school overnight only because it is safer than sending them home on the roads that are impassable. People have been stuck on roads since yesterday. Your states do not have the facilities to deal with a storm of this nature. No salting and sanding vehicles. No piles of salt or sand available. These are items folks up north take for granted. Some southern states don't even own plows.

Stay home. And if you think you really have to go out, make sure you have an emergency kit in your vehicle. Don't forget those tea candles and a blanket. And that goes for you men also. This is not the time to play Mr. Macho. Remember you have a family at home that waits for your safe return.

:angel:

Just a quick additional note for our friends in the south. Keep a bag of kitty litter in your trunk. It gives great traction if you find yourself on slippery ice. The majority of you do not have snow tires. :angel:

Just a quick additional note for our friends in the south. Keep a bag of kitty litter in your trunk. It gives great traction if you find yourself on slippery ice. The majority of you do not have snow tires. :angel:

Fun fact, even living in Maine I never had snow tires, most people that I knew didn't bother. Reason was we had such awesome plow crews. Most Mainers would lay low until the snow stopped and by then the plows had been plowing during the entire storm keeping the roads scraped down.

The biggest problem down here is areas like this are cities with hundreds of roads and side streets, but very few plows. It just doesn't make financial sense to have the number of plows needed to take care of it all. We do have brine spreaders that seems to help a bit, but not a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom