What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick additional note for our friends in the south. Keep a bag of kitty litter in your trunk. It gives great traction if you find yourself on slippery ice. The majority of you do not have snow tires. :angel:
I find that cat litter just makes it slicker. It's made of clay and dissolves when it gets wet. Sand is much better. People used to use the ashes from the wood stove.

It's up too 13 here. Sure feels a lot warmer than nine hours ago when it was 1.
I must be nuts. I'm actually looking forward to the weekend's (supposedly) foray into the thirties.

Amazing how warm 30 looks after going through single digits, huh pac?

We're almost at 20 (19.6 when I last looked). Of course it will warm up now that my warm winter coat is ready (I hope). The zipper was acting up and I wanted it replaced - got tired of it sticking and I had to slip it over my hips and step out if it when it stuck. :( I've been laying up with a sweatshirt, followed by a nice polartec fleece zipper "sweater", then a heavy scarf before snapping my good-down-to-35-degree jacket on. Feeling a little like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man!
images

:LOL:
I had a zipper break on me before while wearing the coat. I had a heckuva time getting it off.

Fortunately it's still just above freezing here but it's still very cold. My car heater has been out of action for a fortnight and I don't seem to have been warm between leaving the house and getting back from the stables, despite wool jumpers and polar fleeces and thermal underwear. It didn't help that I had to drive with the window open to stop my breath steaming up the windscreen! The part has arrived at last and it was fitted today. Bliss!

I find it a bit infuriating online people laughing at the people in Atlanta with the predicament that they are in. This happened to us in the not too distant past.

What people don't seem to realize is we don't have the equipment to deal with this. We rarely have to deal with driving in it. Take icy roads and unleash HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people from work on those roads and things snarl into a mess.

I'm sure that you've seen how a wreck can shut down a highway, imagine that happening on every highway and there is no way for emergency crews to get to them, to clean it up and get people going again. All those cars backed up for HOURS with nowhere to go. This happened in Raleigh, the snow started flying and schools let out, which means that parents had to all leave work early at the same time crating a horrible snarl.

I know how to drive on this stuff, but if there is a wreck closing the highway in front of me and there are hundreds of cars behind me, I'm not going anywhere.

Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting.
We can't help it they all drive like sixteen year olds, lol.

I find it a bit infuriating online people laughing at the people in Atlanta with the predicament that they are in. This happened to us in the not too distant past.

What people don't seem to realize is we don't have the equipment to deal with this. We rarely have to deal with driving in it. Take icy roads and unleash HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people from work on those roads and things snarl into a mess.

I'm sure that you've seen how a wreck can shut down a highway, imagine that happening on every highway and there is no way for emergency crews to get to them, to clean it up and get people going again. All those cars backed up for HOURS with nowhere to go. This happened in Raleigh, the snow started flying and schools let out, which means that parents had to all leave work early at the same time crating a horrible snarl.

I know how to drive on this stuff, but if there is a wreck closing the highway in front of me and there are hundreds of cars behind me, I'm not going anywhere.

Exactly. I hear ya, Bakechef. The Northern states that are used to winter weather have thousands of plows, salt trucks, etc. The Southern states have very little equipment, because they usually don't need it, along with folks who rarely if ever have to drive in such a mess.

Even here, people have difficulty getting used to nasty winter driving at the start of the season without a learning curve and a lot of fenderbenders and ditch diving. And ice, anywhere, fuhgeddaboutit. No matter how many wheel drives you have, you're screwed.

Last edited:
I grew up in Michigan and I know what you mean, bakechef. A reporter from New York on the news last night laughed at a city worker in Atlanta because they only had three snow plows. "We have hundreds!" he shouted.

Pac, Atlanta has a lot of hills. Once gravity, ice and snow grab your car, there isn't much anyone can do.

We got 10" last night. Sorry, no pix. Still not feeling well. It'll still be there tomorrow lol

I have called the state and suggested the budget we have not used be sent to affected states to help. I wish we could get our idle plows and sand spreaders down there soon enough to help. Apparently, I am not the first to call and suggest this.

I don't find it funny, I wish we could help.

...Pac, Atlanta has a lot of hills. Once gravity, ice and snow grab your car, there isn't much anyone can do...

OKayyy :huh:
I've never experienced that... :rolleyes: :LOL:

All I was saying is there really isn't any need to clear the roads over 2" of snow these days.
Slow down, you watch the news when the northern states get hit, don't you? In today's vehicles you'll get where you need to go.

I have called the state and suggested the budget we have not used be sent to affected states to help. I wish we could get our idle plows and sand spreaders down there soon enough to help. Apparently, I am not the first to call and suggest this.

I don't find it funny, I wish we could help.
I'm having visions of a bunch of states sending their plows one or two states south, so plows wouldn't have to travel too far and no one who needed them would be without.

I'm having visions of a bunch of states sending their plows one or two states south, so plows wouldn't have to travel too far and no one who needed them would be without.

Yes, that would work. Our crews would be working and earning, too. Not sitting around waiting for more than an inch of snow to go to work.

I have a couple of shovels, but they are not where they need to be.

OKayyy :huh:
I've never experienced that... :rolleyes: :LOL:

All I was saying is there really isn't any need to clear the roads over 2" of snow these days.
Slow down, you watch the news when the northern states get hit, don't you? In today's vehicles you'll get where you need to go.

You know, even grownups think it won't happen to them ;) Like I said, we got 10" last night. A friend of ours who grew up here decided she needed to go to the store today, two blocks from her house. Her car got stuck on an "incline" on the way home and she had to leave it. She's lucky it's a residential street and not a highway. Although now it's hazard for others.

Pac, driving in this kind of weather is second nature to you. It seems simple and obvious. When people aren't used to it, they don't know what speed is safe and what will send them spinning around or make it impossible to stop.

Have you ever driven in the Rocky Mountains? I'm not afraid of much, but I'm terrified to do that. I'm sure I'd ride the brakes till they burned out and I crashed, even though I know I'm not supposed to.

Last edited:
When I wanted to drive in Montreal, I took driving lessons (in winter) because I had never driven on snow and it terrified me. I'm very glad I did. I wasn't required by law to take them.

You also have to remember that people in the South don't have winter tires. Not only do they grip better than "all season" tires, because of the treads, but they stay flexible in cold. Below 7°C (44.6°F) there is much better stopping with snow tires, even on dry pavement.

You know, even grownups think it won't happen to them ;) Like I said, we got 10" last night. A friend of ours who grew up here decided she needed to go to the store today, two blocks from her house. Her car got stuck on an "incline" on the way home and she had to leave it. She's lucky it's a residential street and not a highway. Although now it's hazard for others.

Pac, driving in this kind of weather is second nature to you. It seems simple and obvious. When people aren't used to it, they don't know what speed is safe and what will send them spinning around or make it impossible to stop.

Have you ever driven in the Rocky Mountains? I'm not afraid of much, but I'm terrified to do that. I'm sure I'd ride the brakes till they burned out and I crashed, even though I know I'm not supposed to.

Yes, and I know when to stay home. When it's bad here, there are certain folks who will go out and get folks for work or take them home. Pick up kids from closing schools, etc. Fewer people on the roads.

It needs to be planned better and folks cooperate when things get bad. They cooperate when there are hurricanes, floods...why not when they get snow and they should not be on the roads?

On the bright side, there has been cooperation here :) Western Virginia gets much more snow than we do, so they've sent a lot of snow plows east to help; same in NC, I think.

Atlanta was overwhelmed because apparently local officials underestimated the impact of the forecast change early yesterday morning. They should have closed schools and businesses in the morning so people could get home before the snow got bad.

Just saw a post on my neighborhood's Facebook page: pictures of neighbors shoveling walkways and sidewalks in front of elderly neighbors' homes today. It doesn't always make the news, but Americans still take care of each other.

Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting.
We can't help it they all drive like sixteen year olds, lol.

That just it. They can't get around. They never see snow in Atlanta. And according to the Weather Bureau, this storm was supposed to stay way south of Atlanta. My girlfriend lives in Atlanta. I called her tonight. Her daughter is very sick with the flu. And with every single road blocked with cars she is worried that she may have to take her to the hospital. Her daughter also has epilepsy. And a fever can set off a grand Mal episode. Believing the weather bureau, the Governor failed to declare a State of Emergency in time. He has had to call in the National Guard.

The snow turned to rain and the rain turned to ice almost instantly. Tractor trailers are jacked knifed all over the highways. People have run out of gas from sitting in their cars since yesterday. They left their cars and decided to try and walk home. Now their cars have been towed and they have no idea where they went. Children have been kept in their schools overnight because parents could not get to them to take them home. The buses could not get to the schools to pick them up. The teachers raided the cafeteria for food and cooked up some food for the kids. They threw down the wrestling mats in the gyms and the kids bunked down for the night. To keep the kids entertained, they found some educational and other films and showed them.

And if you think Atlanta is in rough shape, take a look at New Orleans, southern Alabama and Mississippi. How many folks down there do you think have snow tires :angel:

Send all the jerks laughing at Atlanta to Atlanta next year and unleash a rare snow storm on them while they try to commute home in the insanity that is Atlanta traffic. They'll be the first people whining for somebody to pull them out of the ditch they just slid into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom