What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw a post on my neighborhood's Facebook page: pictures of neighbors shoveling walkways and sidewalks in front of elderly neighbors' homes today. It doesn't always make the news, but Americans still take care of each other.

We lived next door to an elderly couple. When Poo was about ten, he saw the woman shoveling her walkway. Poo went over and took the shovel out of her hand. I never told him to do that, and she didn't ask for help. When she offered to pay him, he turned it down. Every winter from there on in, he shoveled for her without being asked.

When my SIL is using his snow blower, he does the sidewalk for the old couple next door. What is just a couple of more feet when the machine is doing all the work? :angel:

TMy girlfriend lives in Atlanta. I called her tonight. Her daughter is very sick with the flu. And with every single road blocked with cars she is worried that she may have to take her to the hospital. Her daughter also has epilepsy. And a fever can set off a grand Mal episode. Believing the weather bureau, the Governor failed to declare a State of Emergency in time. He has had to call in the National Guard.

:angel:

That is what ambulances are for, if her daughter needs the ER, she should call 911.

Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting.
We can't help it they all drive like sixteen year olds, lol.

Well the problem is, many of these people have little to no experience driving in it. I don't worry about my ability to drive in it, but all the way to work I saw people driving like idiots and riding my tail on glare ice.

The other huge problem was hundreds of thousands of inexperienced drivers took to the icy highways at the same time, that's what caused the biggest problem.

You or I could have been trapped on the highway, regardless of our ability to drive in it.

When I wanted to drive in Montreal, I took driving lessons (in winter) because I had never driven on snow and it terrified me. I'm very glad I did. I wasn't required by law to take them.

You also have to remember that people in the South don't have winter tires. Not only do they grip better than "all season" tires, because of the treads, but they stay flexible in cold. Below 7°C (44.6°F) there is much better stopping with snow tires, even on dry pavement.

My car feels like I'm driving on stone wheels on cold mornings! I also really need new front tires, I was supposed to get them last week but put it off...

Well the problem is, many of these people have little to no experience driving in it. I don't worry about my ability to drive in it, but all the way to work I saw people driving like idiots and riding my tail on glare ice.

The other huge problem was hundreds of thousands of inexperienced drivers took to the icy highways at the same time, that's what caused the biggest problem.

You or I could have been trapped on the highway, regardless of our ability to drive in it.

Exactly. I feel so bad for everyone who had to go through this. And you have no control of the folks in front or back of you, or 12 miles up the road.

Last edited:
I find it a bit infuriating online people laughing at the people in Atlanta with the predicament that they are in. This happened to us in the not too distant past.

What people don't seem to realize is we don't have the equipment to deal with this. We rarely have to deal with driving in it. Take icy roads and unleash HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people from work on those roads and things snarl into a mess.

I'm sure that you've seen how a wreck can shut down a highway, imagine that happening on every highway and there is no way for emergency crews to get to them, to clean it up and get people going again. All those cars backed up for HOURS with nowhere to go. This happened in Raleigh, the snow started flying and schools let out, which means that parents had to all leave work early at the same time crating a horrible snarl.

I know how to drive on this stuff, but if there is a wreck closing the highway in front of me and there are hundreds of cars behind me, I'm not going anywhere.

Bakechef, please pardon me for bolding only part of your post. I so agree with you here. Just a couple of years ago there was an earthquake in a part of the United States that has rarely experienced earthquakes. So many Californians were making fun of this, and it made me ashamed of my fellow Californians that they would do that. :(

Most folks in my little town here in SoCal remember "the snow of 2011". It was less than 2 inches but it was so foreign to us, and the town pretty much shut down. Not everyone has up to date snow vehicles with tires that can handle it, and we sure don't have snow plows.

My thoughts and prayers certainly go out to those who are stuck in such extreme weather. Not everyone is prepared for this and I hope most just stay home if they can.

Last edited:
Well fortunately we live in times where nearly every vehicle is either front wheel or all wheel drive. It's not like they can't get around in 2" of snow, barely a dusting....
But the problem wasn't snow pac. The roads turned into sheets of ice. My father-in-law drove for a living - life insurance agent back in the days when the agent visited all his accounts to collect the monthly payment in person. He was in his early 50s when they moved to FL just two or three years before we got married. When they were driving back to FL from OH they were in an accident in Atlanta...in conditions similar to what went on down there this week. Fortunately neither of them were seriously hurt, but Dad said he couldn't believe how he had absolutely no control over his car. It was as if it had a mind of its own. Kinda hard to drive a robocar.

And the problem gets worse. Atlanta is expecting warming temps the next few days with them dropping to freezing at night. So again the roads will be a sheet of ice just in time for the morning commute each day.

But they did announce that the airport is open. Big deal No one can get to the airport. The terminals are empty. :angel:

Exactly. That's why I said they drive like sisxteen year olds. In other words, no experience.

Exactly. That's why I said they drive like sisxteen year olds. In other words, no experience.

But if you go back and look at your original post, you have and 'lol' at the end of your missive. That is what has everyone here up in arms. No one here sees anything funny about the situation in Atlanta or the rest of the south. Bakechef is very well aware of what could have happened to him.

Having lived and worked during the blizzard of 1978, I know too well the dangers of severe weather conditions. And it doesn't have to be just winter weather. Remember Katrina. :angel:

Everybody was up in arms? :huh:
I hadn't noticed.

Sunny day today. 10F right now and climbing :)

I wasn't up in arms...I'm just hanging out under a blanket.:LOL:

24°F, feels like 4°F. The easterly winds have begun and they are always cold, howling out of Hellgate Canyon. 17 mph this morning.

And the problem gets worse. Atlanta is expecting warming temps the next few days with them dropping to freezing at night. So again the roads will be a sheet of ice just in time for the morning commute each day.

But they did announce that the airport is open. Big deal No one can get to the airport. The terminals are empty. :angel:

Atlanta's airport is the busiest in the world and a major national hub for several airlines. Most people using Atlanta's airport aren't going to or from there - they're catching a connection.

It's a bright, sunny 22ºF here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom