"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #7001
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
It is -23C here, with windchill, -29C. We went snow shoeing in the back 40 yesterday. It was cold (not as cold as today), but the ice on the trees and weeds glistened like diamonds in the sun. Once the DH gets the photos developed, I'll post a couple in the Random Photo threads. I didn't bring the digital camera with because I had Cliff on a flexie--that was enough for me to handle since I had snow shoes on my feet--I opted to use my old, wooden frame teardrop snow shoes because the snow conditions were powder, not packed. For packed snow, I prefer my bearpaw ones. After being out in the fresh, cold air for an 1-1/2 hours, I was ready for a cup of hot chocolate followed by a nap.
__________________

__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #7002
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
If there is any way to add an insulating air gap to your window like putting some heavy plastic over the inside of it with tape, that would help a lot with the cold that is coming from it, Addie. A curtain will work some, but not anywhere as well as plastic would.
Only if I buy an extension ladder that will reach two stories. I have an insulated long curtain. The rod is only $1.00. If I were to use tape on the wall, it might take the pain off when I remove it. In the lease is two pages of what you can and cannot do. Most of the tenants ignore it. And they don't even read the complete lease. I do and I try to follow it. The one thing I did do was have my son tile the back wall over the stove and the backsplash over the sink without permission. Since this was considered an improvment to the property, I got away with it. I did hang a picture with a tiny nail. Sure enough when I had an inspection, they examined the hole. It was tiny enough to fix and cover up with paint. I am really grateful for being allowed to leave here. I don't want to mess it up.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #7003
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is -23C here, with windchill, -29C. We went snow shoeing in the back 40 yesterday. It was cold (not as cold as today), but the ice on the trees and weeds glistened like diamonds in the sun. Once the DH gets the photos developed, I'll post a couple in the Random Photo threads. I didn't bring the digital camera with because I had Cliff on a flexie--that was enough for me to handle since I had snow shoes on my feet--I opted to use my old, wooden frame teardrop snow shoes because the snow conditions were powder, not packed. For packed snow, I prefer my bearpaw ones. After being out in the fresh, cold air for an 1-1/2 hours, I was ready for a cup of hot chocolate followed by a nap.
What happened to snowmobiling? It would have been faster.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7004
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Only if I buy an extension ladder that will reach two stories. I have an insulated long curtain. The rod is only $1.00. If I were to use tape on the wall, it might take the pain off when I remove it. In the lease is two pages of what you can and cannot do. Most of the tenants ignore it. And they don't even read the complete lease. I do and I try to follow it. The one thing I did do was have my son tile the back wall over the stove and the backsplash over the sink without permission. Since this was considered an improvment to the property, I got away with it. I did hang a picture with a tiny nail. Sure enough when I had an inspection, they examined the hole. It was tiny enough to fix and cover up with paint. I am really grateful for being allowed to leave here. I don't want to mess it up.
It sounds like a heavy drape might be the only resolution for you then. Dinky is loving the 30's weather we're having. He goes out into the Florida Room, which is windows from floor to ceiling, and marches around in his Persian winter coat. (Ha-Ha, I'm not cold!)
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #7005
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
What happened to snowmobiling? It would have been faster.
We don't have a snowmobile. We like to either get out in the bush and cross country ski or snow shoe. Better exercise (and better for the environment) than riding a snow machine.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #7006
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
It sounds like a heavy drape might be the only resolution for you then. Dinky is loving the 30's weather we're having. He goes out into the Florida Room, which is windows from floor to ceiling, and marches around in his Persian winter coat. (Ha-Ha, I'm not cold!)
Smart aleck cat!!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #7007
Executive Chef
 
Timothy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: St. Augustine, Florida
Posts: 2,491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Smart aleck cat!!
You've got him pegged! Dinky has more attitude than any other cat I've ever had. He lets me hear it too! When I enter a room he's in, he'll raise his head up and MEOW at me. It's like he's saying "Hi there!" When something isn't to his satisfaction, he has no problem screaming at me too, and will continue to do so until I resolve the problem!
__________________
Confirmed Sushi Addict
Timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #7008
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
You've got him pegged! Dinky has more attitude than any other cat I've ever had. He lets me hear it too! When I enter a room he's in, he'll raise his head up and MEOW at me. It's like he's saying "Hi there!" When something isn't to his satisfaction, he has no problem screaming at me too, and will continue to do so until I resolve the problem!
Well we know who is the boss in that house!!
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7009
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
I seem to remember seeing a poster that said "Dogs drool. Cats rule." Or something like that. Mind you, the dog was a Saint Bernard...
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #7010
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,893
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's gotten up to -17C! That's just above 0F.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.