"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-15-2012, 10:44 AM   #7001
Chef Extraordinaire

It is -23C here, with windchill, -29C. We went snow shoeing in the back 40 yesterday. It was cold (not as cold as today), but the ice on the trees and weeds glistened like diamonds in the sun. Once the DH gets the photos developed, I'll post a couple in the Random Photo threads. I didn't bring the digital camera with because I had Cliff on a flexie--that was enough for me to handle since I had snow shoes on my feet--I opted to use my old, wooden frame teardrop snow shoes because the snow conditions were powder, not packed. For packed snow, I prefer my bearpaw ones. After being out in the fresh, cold air for an 1-1/2 hours, I was ready for a cup of hot chocolate followed by a nap.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #7002
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy View Post
If there is any way to add an insulating air gap to your window like putting some heavy plastic over the inside of it with tape, that would help a lot with the cold that is coming from it, Addie. A curtain will work some, but not anywhere as well as plastic would.
Only if I buy an extension ladder that will reach two stories. I have an insulated long curtain. The rod is only $1.00. If I were to use tape on the wall, it might take the pain off when I remove it. In the lease is two pages of what you can and cannot do. Most of the tenants ignore it. And they don't even read the complete lease. I do and I try to follow it. The one thing I did do was have my son tile the back wall over the stove and the backsplash over the sink without permission. Since this was considered an improvment to the property, I got away with it. I did hang a picture with a tiny nail. Sure enough when I had an inspection, they examined the hole. It was tiny enough to fix and cover up with paint. I am really grateful for being allowed to leave here. I don't want to mess it up.

Old 01-15-2012, 10:58 AM   #7003
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
It is -23C here, with windchill, -29C. We went snow shoeing in the back 40 yesterday. It was cold (not as cold as today), but the ice on the trees and weeds glistened like diamonds in the sun. Once the DH gets the photos developed, I'll post a couple in the Random Photo threads. I didn't bring the digital camera with because I had Cliff on a flexie--that was enough for me to handle since I had snow shoes on my feet--I opted to use my old, wooden frame teardrop snow shoes because the snow conditions were powder, not packed. For packed snow, I prefer my bearpaw ones. After being out in the fresh, cold air for an 1-1/2 hours, I was ready for a cup of hot chocolate followed by a nap.
What happened to snowmobiling? It would have been faster.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:01 AM   #7004
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Only if I buy an extension ladder that will reach two stories. I have an insulated long curtain. The rod is only $1.00. If I were to use tape on the wall, it might take the pain off when I remove it. In the lease is two pages of what you can and cannot do. Most of the tenants ignore it. And they don't even read the complete lease. I do and I try to follow it. The one thing I did do was have my son tile the back wall over the stove and the backsplash over the sink without permission. Since this was considered an improvment to the property, I got away with it. I did hang a picture with a tiny nail. Sure enough when I had an inspection, they examined the hole. It was tiny enough to fix and cover up with paint. I am really grateful for being allowed to leave here. I don't want to mess it up.
It sounds like a heavy drape might be the only resolution for you then. Dinky is loving the 30's weather we're having. He goes out into the Florida Room, which is windows from floor to ceiling, and marches around in his Persian winter coat. (Ha-Ha, I'm not cold!)
Old 01-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #7005
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
What happened to snowmobiling? It would have been faster.
We don't have a snowmobile. We like to either get out in the bush and cross country ski or snow shoe. Better exercise (and better for the environment) than riding a snow machine.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:10 AM   #7006
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
It sounds like a heavy drape might be the only resolution for you then. Dinky is loving the 30's weather we're having. He goes out into the Florida Room, which is windows from floor to ceiling, and marches around in his Persian winter coat. (Ha-Ha, I'm not cold!)
Smart aleck cat!!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #7007
Executive Chef

Quote:
Smart aleck cat!!
You've got him pegged! Dinky has more attitude than any other cat I've ever had. He lets me hear it too! When I enter a room he's in, he'll raise his head up and MEOW at me. It's like he's saying "Hi there!" When something isn't to his satisfaction, he has no problem screaming at me too, and will continue to do so until I resolve the problem!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:30 AM   #7008
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
You've got him pegged! Dinky has more attitude than any other cat I've ever had. He lets me hear it too! When I enter a room he's in, he'll raise his head up and MEOW at me. It's like he's saying "Hi there!" When something isn't to his satisfaction, he has no problem screaming at me too, and will continue to do so until I resolve the problem!
Well we know who is the boss in that house!!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #7009
Chef Extraordinaire

I seem to remember seeing a poster that said "Dogs drool. Cats rule." Or something like that. Mind you, the dog was a Saint Bernard...
Old 01-15-2012, 02:15 PM   #7010
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
It's gotten up to -17C! That's just above 0F.