"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #7071
Master Chef

29 F and sleet on top of snow. I had fun cleaning my car off this morning.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #7072
Master Chef

Our usual bad winter weather has finally caught up with us. I think the high today was something like 4 degrees, and a blizzard is supposedly on its way. Hubby and I went and completed our kitchen/pantry, which wasn't empty to begin with. So .... we're ready if it does hit tonight. Oh, yes, went and bought two rolls of forever stamps since the price is going up in a few days. Got a couple of condolence cards for friends whose mom (also a friend) died last week. So now I can curl up and hibernate for a few days. Rosebud has been good with the snow.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:24 PM   #7073
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
She's the one saying to call the National Guard...which from here is who I would call...besides, the only directions I have are Southeast Ontario, farm house and a Big Chicken... Look for a canoe with chickens in it.
She's a Yankee and I guess she forgot or got confused. I know what town she's near.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:28 PM   #7074
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla Bean View Post
29 F and sleet on top of snow. I had fun cleaning my car off this morning.
I hear ya. One of the best things about living in a condo is the underground garage. I know, you can have a garage with a house, but lots of folks fill them up with junk. Even if we had a tendency to do such a thing, it's a communal garage and storage of anything in the garage, other than ones car, is not only against the rules, it's against our city's by-laws.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #7075
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

A balmy 7, and mucho snow expected tomorrow. Hoping my Friday out-of-town meeting gets cancelled....
Old 01-19-2012, 05:52 PM   #7076
Chef Extraordinaire

Woke up to 4 below zero, when bringing kids to school. High of only 6F today & low of zero. It's 3F now, everyone is moving pretty quickly outside today.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #7077
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I hear ya. One of the best things about living in a condo is the underground garage. I know, you can have a garage with a house, but lots of folks fill them up with junk. Even if we had a tendency to do such a thing, it's a communal garage and storage of anything in the garage, other than ones car, is not only against the rules, it's against our city's by-laws.
LOL... we have a garage, but it stores my BF's motorcycle and odds -n- ends.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 PM   #7078
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
She's the one saying to call the National Guard...which from here is who I would call...besides, the only directions I have are Southeast Ontario, farm house and a Big Chicken... Look for a canoe with chickens in it.

Myrtle in the bow with the Big Chicken at the helm, being pulled by a team of Saint Bernards!

This could be a new Christmas special!

Once upon a time in the great white north.............
Old 01-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #7079
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Our usual bad winter weather has finally caught up with us. I think the high today was something like 4 degrees, and a blizzard is supposedly on its way. Hubby and I went and completed our kitchen/pantry, which wasn't empty to begin with. So .... we're ready if it does hit tonight. Oh, yes, went and bought two rolls of forever stamps since the price is going up in a few days. Got a couple of condolence cards for friends whose mom (also a friend) died last week. So now I can curl up and hibernate for a few days. Rosebud has been good with the snow.
I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you and your friends.

I talked to Mom today, and they are in a blizzard (NY state). She is going on vacation to Florida on Saturday and can't wait.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:13 PM   #7080
Master Chef

Yeah, I know I am really blessed. Both my parents (77 and 81) are still alive and in good enough health that they rarely need help, and still married to each other. When a friend loses theirs, I know that soon it will be me. I'm 56 (57 in a few weeks) and to have your parents still alive and still married to each other, and still very much in love is a gift indeed, and I'm grateful for it every day.

My friend who died has been on borrowed time for many years, in her late 80s with brain surgery, diabetes, and heart attacks behind her. I'm mostly, at this point, hoping my best high school friend doesn't have to deal with sibling stuff. I know my own Mom has made good wills and her wishes known and paid for, but not many people have that foresight.

So... now it's the blizzard. Will it actually happen?