What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I daresay you have heard of the extensive floods here in UK? The cause being heavy rain e.g. 1 month's rain falling recently in one day, which has now flooded huge swathes of northern England - first Cumbria, then Lancashire and now Yorkshire. 500 soldiers have been called in, the community are supporting each other well and there are calls to reappraise the current defence barricades. Over 6,500 homes are now without power and, of course, there has been a mass evacuation. I count myself fortunate that I live away from all this.

It affected Cumbria on the week before xmas which must be a double tragedy. They already suffered floods before this so I can only guess how traumatic and frustrating it must be to see your house dry out, replace appliances etc only to have the whole thing recur. Of course this then takes its toll on the cost of future insurance and ability to ever get out of their situation re. selling their property.

Last edited:
It has been sleeting since 8:00 AM this morning and is going to continue all night and then it will turn to snow. My daughter is on call for the hospital tonight I sure hope they are doing a good job on the highways.

Hunkered down-first snowstorm of the year is supposed to start tonight. Filled bottles of water for the critters, brought in more wood and got gas for the snowblowe and generator. New batteries in the flashlights and cell is charged.Got soup cooking on the woodstove. Fed and watered the birds when I locked them down incase I can't get out there in the a.m.

100% snow in the forecast. The question is how much we really going to get.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Hunkered down-first snowstorm of the year is supposed to start tonight. Filled bottles of water for the critters, brought in more wood and got gas for the snowblowe and generator. New batteries in the flashlights and cell is charged.Got soup cooking on the woodstove. Fed and watered the birds when I locked them down incase I can't get out there in the a.m.
We're hunkered down too, in Cornwall.

I daresay you have heard of the extensive floods here in UK? The cause being heavy rain e.g. 1 month's rain falling recently in one day, which has now flooded huge swathes of northern England - first Cumbria, then Lancashire and now Yorkshire. 500 soldiers have been called in, the community are supporting each other well and there are calls to reappraise the current defence barricades. Over 6,500 homes are now without power and, of course, there has been a mass evacuation. I count myself fortunate that I live away from all this.

It affected Cumbria on the week before xmas which must be a double tragedy. They already suffered floods before this so I can only guess how traumatic and frustrating it must be to see your house dry out, replace appliances etc only to have the whole thing recur. Of course this then takes its toll on the cost of future insurance and ability to ever get out of their situation re. selling their property.

I hate it when tragedy strikes in December. It is so heartbreaking. Even for those not directly affected. Here in the States we have had part of the country down south hit with nine tornadoes and a blizzard. All within less than 24 hours just before Christmas. Fifteen lives have been lost. One a baby just four days old. As we were listening to the news tonight, Pirate stated that the only thing that didn't hit Texas was a hurricane and a plague of locusts. It seems like Mother Nature's hormones have just run amok.

But like the citizens of Britain this country will pull together and help our neighbors. Even if they are hundreds of miles away. Because that is what decent humans do. We reach out to those in need, when the need is greatest.

I saw on the internet the stories and pictures about the floods and remember when the Lake District was hit with them a few years back. Here your folks are getting too much rain, and we have an area in California that is in a catastrophic drought. It has been four years since they have seen a drop of rain. And then another part of California has been hit with wildfires that are burning everything is sight. And all folks like you and those of us here can do is Pray. And reach out a helping hand where needed. :angel:

...Pirate stated that the only thing that didn't hit Texas was a hurricane and a plague of locusts...
Still waiting on those locusts, but tornadoes hit Garland, TX. It's just northeast of Dallas, and contiguous to Plano. We have friends in Plano. Even though the tornadoes didn't run through there, I'm sure there is a lot of clean-up to do after all these storms.

Right now I'm glad we aren't returning home just yet. Crossing PA with the weather coming through would gray up any hair that's still brown. Where we are in OH. it's been either rain or rain/sleet mix on and off (more on) most of the day. We're supposed to get heavy rains and possible wind gusts up to 50 MPH tonight, then things clear out by noon tomorrow. It looks like clear sailing all the way into next week; by then, we'll be heading back to MA. :(

Still waiting on those locusts, but tornadoes hit Garland, TX. It's just northeast of Dallas, and contiguous to Plano. We have friends in Plano. Even though the tornadoes didn't run through there, I'm sure there is a lot of clean-up to do after all these storms.

Right now I'm glad we aren't returning home just yet. Crossing PA with the weather coming through would gray up any hair that's still brown. Where we are in OH. it's been either rain or rain/sleet mix on and off (more on) most of the day. We're supposed to get heavy rains and possible wind gusts up to 50 MPH tonight, then things clear out by noon tomorrow. It looks like clear sailing all the way into next week; by then, we'll be heading back to MA. :(

Please just make sure the roads are fit to travel on. Right now we are getting snow. It is supposed to turn to rain later around the afternoon hours. :angel:

It's really snowing hard now. I wonder how many days before I can drive home. Don't worry Addie, I'll wait and it's not even 60 miles. It's a good thing we all enjoy each other's company.

Just stay in Cornwall. The Girls, dogs and I are hunkered down. We're going nowhere. Stay off the roads if you can.
We're hunkered down as well. I'm keeping an eye on the forecasts for Cornwall and DDO. At the moment, it looks like we should be able to drive home safely on Thursday. We will be keeping an eye on things and decide later. It also depends on when the highways gets cleaned.

Gee, every time I check, the temp goes down another degree. I cracked the window to let some air in the apartment. That was a mistake. Too dang cold out there.

Little by little I have been cranking the heat up. These walls are really thick, but the cold is still creeping in. Snow, sleet, ice. I hate winter. :angel:

Gee, every time I check, the temp goes down another degree. I cracked the window to let some air in the apartment. That was a mistake. Too dang cold out there.

Little by little I have been cranking the heat up. These walls are really thick, but the cold is still creeping in. Snow, sleet, ice. I hate winter. :angel:

For Heaven's sake, stop checking the temp:rolleyes:

4°F...no wind!:clap:

It's been warm here, but dang the rain! Driving home from SC on Sunday, all of the rivers and streams were running over their banks. My mom is contemplating growing rice in her back yard :LOL:

We've had weeks of rain, but the last few days have been heavy and causing flooding. This is why I bought a townhouse built on a hill!

The day started out with rain an the temp in the mid 30's. Now the sun is shining so brightly and the temp is in the low 40's. I can live with that. Had to turn the heat down.

Either Boston has the greatest sewer system or we just are lucky in that I can not ever recall having heard about a flood in this city. The only major river we have is the Charles and that is controlled with gates. That has never gone over its banks that I ever heard of. :angel:

Last edited:
The day started out with rain an the temp in the mid 30's. Now the sun is shining so brightly and the temp is in the low 40's. I can live with that. Had to turn the heat down.

Either Boston has the greatest sewer system or we just are lucky in that I can not ever recall having heard about a flood in this city. The only major river we have is the Charles and that is controlled with gates. That has never gone over its banks that I ever heard of. :angel:
Don't forget the Great Molasses Flood, January 15, 1919!!!

Don't forget the Great Molasses Flood, January 15, 1919!!!

Oh yeah. On a really hot summer day, you can still smell the molasses. A lot of the streets in the North End are still cobble stone and the molasses seeped down into the ground below through the breaks in the stones. It does become nauseating after a spell. I always made it a point to not go there during the summer. Only at night, after the sun went down and then only if it was for a festival. They have a festival every single weekend. :angel:

We're home. The roads were clear and there was just a little bit of "sprinkling" some of the trip. It's currently -1°C (30°F). There's an accumulation of 31 cm (12.2") of snow. Looks like winter now.

Beautiful day. 25 F (-4 C). Sunny, blue sky. Doesn't get much better than that here in MN.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom