What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, CG. Yup, still in Jersey.

How can you miss the signs for the GSP? there are 7 million of them all along it's length. :LOL:

Jersey isn't just overcrowded beaches, shopping malls, and petrochemical plants like most people think. My nieces live near west 70 towards Pennsylvania. Very pretty down there. Good trout fishing.

My niece lives in a place called Lake Estates in NJ. It is a gated community. Every single year when my sister was alive and still does, she comes back to Massachusetts for Christmas. She has never celebrated this holiday in any of the homes they lived in. Conn., Michigan, Alabama and so many more. Her husband is a chemical engineer and my niece is a teacher for special needs kids with severe learning disabilities. So they have moved a lot. The last I heard, he works in Florida and she in Pennsylvania. They commute for a week at a time and meet up for weekends. What a life!

Winds!
All this mess from a single palm tree in front of my shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 88
The city used to periodically come out and chop the dead frawns but not as frequenly in recent years. So every time we have wind gusts it creates a mess. These frawns are heavy and they fall from 70 feet up. It creates traffic hazards too.

We've gotten 8, maybe even 10 inches of snow so far, according to my patio bench.
ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1480882660.485492.jpg

Thinking it might be time to bring in my hummingbird feeder. It's finally stopped snowing and starting to melt a bit now, up to 35° F. Looked like a winter wonderland this morning.

Last edited:
WOOHOOHOO! They're calling for snow tonight and still saying 3 to 5 inches of snow on Wednesday. We rarely get snow here so when we do, it's always fun/aggravating/educational.

To see how our drivers do in a couple inches of snow, just go to Youtube and search for 'Seattle drivers in snow' and be prepared to laugh your heads off.

WOOHOOHOO! They're calling for snow tonight and still saying 3 to 5 inches of snow on Wednesday. We rarely get snow here so when we do, it's always fun/aggravating/educational.

To see how our drivers do in a couple inches of snow, just go to Youtube and search for 'Seattle drivers in snow' and be prepared to laugh your heads off.
I just watched two. What kind of tires do you people use? I can't imagine having that kind of difficulty getting my car to move with "all season tires" (we call them three season tires). At least people weren't going too fast for the conditions. :LOL:

I just watched two. What kind of tires do you people use? I can't imagine having that kind of difficulty getting my car to move with "all season tires" (we call them three season tires). At least people weren't going too fast for the conditions. :LOL:

One thing I do know is that you cannot go over the Cascades without tire chains. The State Troopers will send you right back to where you started.

When I lived in the Parkland area of Tacoma, I was at the bottom of a hill. My next door neighbor and I used to sit in the window and watch the Slip and Slide Show. The folks there are just as bad drivers as in Seattle.

One time a fully loaded logging truck came down that hill so fast. He thought his load would help him hug the road. No such luck for that poor idiot. Because all of the towing companies were busy all over the county, the cops called Ft. Lewis to send one of their towing vehicles.

We're supposed to get an inch of snow in the morning at home. Just rain here in the city.

I'm going down to the hardware store on the way home to find out what the heck happened to my snow blower. I brought it in to them to do a routine maintenance, oil change, etc. on it because the carburetor was gummy, but that was over a month ago. I should have just cleaned it myself.

Here's a video of a back road leading up to my house from the first snow storm of this season.

It's is pics like that, that make me happy I live where I do. Only rain. SO FAR! We are supposed to get a smattering of a few flakes tomorrow. But I doubt it. The predicted temp is in the mid 40's. Just too warm for snow. And living this close to the ocean, it stays warmer than further inland.

...I'm going down to the hardware store on the way home to find out what the heck happened to my snow blower. I brought it in to them to do a routine maintenance, oil change, etc. on it because the carburetor was gummy, but that was over a month ago...
I'm guessing they sold it to the highest bidder? :ermm: :ohmy: :LOL:

That is beautiful country, bucky, but it's a veritable highway compared to my favorite road back home. When I worked in an office in the outer suburbs while still living at home with Mom and Dad (first ring-suburb right outside of Cleveland), I used to drive along Riverview Road. That's it's name, and that's your view. Lovely winding road with rolling hills. Panicked my Mom to death thinking of what I might be dealing with. I told her what I was dealing with: you can't do over 25 on that road in good weather, all I could run into is another slow driver (or maybe a deer), and I wasn't contending with crazy highway drivers going faster than conditions allowed. Besides, that was the "main" road to two different ski resorts. The towns made sure that road was clear and well-salted! :cool:

:-p

I spent a few cool winters skiing at Boston Mills, which was literally down the hill from my office - right down Snowville Road. I'd lock the skis into the rack on the back of my VW Beetle, toss the boots and gear in the trunk (poles in the back seat because they were too long for the trunk :LOL: ), and head to work. I'd stop in the cafeteria after work to get a light supper (building was mostly data center, so it ran 24 hours), then dress for schussing and head out the door. Mom and Dad wouldn't see me till the slopes closed...and they were lighted slopes. Ah, to be young and limber again!

It is snowing :( However, it will probably turn to rain pretty soon and hopefully the temp will stay on the warmer side of 0 celsius so it doesn't freeze.

This is video taken today in downtown Montreal. It must be really slippery, because Montrealers can usually handle snow and most of those cars have snow tires. Legally required from 15 December.

https://youtu.be/0BhhsEuYXZQ

Hmm, I wonder why that just shows the link and not the video.

Yikes, taxy, you would think that the cop car would at least be properly shod! Then again, Himself said it looked like there might be a lot of ice, too, and that studded tires are better to stop you from sliding.

Speaking of the cop car, ages ago a car of mine was back at the dealership because of a faulty gas tank that needed replacing. The loaner they gave me was so big Himself and I swapped cars. I drove his 1972 Plymouth Duster to work - and then it snowed. I wasn't used to handling a bigger car, so I kept to the main roads going home. Along the route was a hill similar to that one in the video - and I went down it just like the cop did! Well, except that I was lucky and didn't run into anyone. *phew!*

Yikes, taxy, you would think that the cop car would at least be properly shod! Then again, Himself said it looked like there might be a lot of ice, too, and that studded tires are better to stop you from sliding.

Speaking of the cop car, ages ago a car of mine was back at the dealership because of a faulty gas tank that needed replacing. The loaner they gave me was so big Himself and I swapped cars. I drove his 1972 Plymouth Duster to work - and then it snowed. I wasn't used to handling a bigger car, so I kept to the main roads going home. Along the route was a hill similar to that one in the video - and I went down it just like the cop did! Well, except that I was lucky and didn't run into anyone. *phew!*
I'm blaming the city for not getting salt and grit on the roads quickly enough. It's not like the snow wasn't in the forecast. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom