What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Days like today make me want to behave myself. I'm pretty sure hell is hotter than the 96 I saw on the car display on my way home from an appointment. Thankfully, it looks like the high at home was only 88. I think we'll be testing our A/C over the next 36 hours.

When I just sat down to the computer, the first thing I see is an "Air Alert" starting in the morning until 11 p.m. Temps will be in the low 90's. And they don't turn the AC on until the end of May. Of course the company management uses won't be available until then, if we are lucky. And if they turn it on before then (if we get lucky) it will surely turn freezing cold.

All I ever ask God for is just "nice" weather. Something that makes everyone happy. Temp is 77ºF. at this hour. Everyone please stay safe and check in every so often to let us know you all are all right. May God be with all of you and keep you safe.

78 degrees and 66% humidity at 10am. YUCK! Think I will wait until tonight to cook my ham and fix my potato salad for this weekend. At least I got my grocery shopping done early this AM.

I checked it about ten minutes ago. 95ºF. Now it has gone up to 97ºF. I have been babysitting Teddy all day. Spike is working. I took him out to do his "thing." He headed straight for a big spot of shade and just rolled around on the cool grass. I wanted to join him.

But I only took him to the end of the walk where the garden plots and very large expanse of grass are. I noticed that 15 of the plots have been seeded. I guess they aren't going to wait until after Mem. Day.

It only got up to 90 today, due to a lot of clouds.

I feel for you guys up in the NE who aren't used to that kind of heat. Here in Dallas, 95 degrees is a good day in the summer.

We didn't really have a winter this year, but so far, summer has been pretty mild. We've had decent rain, so the reservoirs are full and things are pretty green.

Sooooo, I can't help but wonder what Mother Nature is plotting for us.

CD

It's a pleasant 76 degrees with a humidity around 30%. Inside. Outside, it got up to 92, 94, or 96, depending on which nearby weather reporting station I checked on Weatherbug and Weather Underground. Our indoor/outdoor monitors recorded 102 each. The front one is on the porch that faces east; totally traps heat in the morning. The back thermometer is in a sunny place until the trees fully leaf out, so it won't be accurate for another week or two. The coolest, 92, is still hot!

CD, we get hot "up here". Not Dallas or Orlando hot, but enough days in the 80s and into the 90s to know better. The problem is, it is common to build a house with hot water baseboard heat - therefore, no duct work. It's cheaper to heat that way, but it has its issues. Having moved from a home that had central air, we inquired into costs to switch from baseboard heat to a ducted system. In spite of the increase in commission to each agent (our buyer's agent plus the selling agent for the builder), both tried to talk us out of it. "Oh, you won't need it for even two weeks up here over the entire summer." "Why spend the money when window units can be put in the rooms you want to cool?" :huh: Um, because we want to cool ALL of them? :ermm: :glare:

It was amazing how many neighbors became our friends that first summer...when the temps spiked into the upper 80s...for days and days on end. :cool:

It's a pleasant 76 degrees with a humidity around 30%. Inside. Outside, it got up to 92, 94, or 96, depending on which nearby weather reporting station I checked on Weatherbug and Weather Underground. Our indoor/outdoor monitors recorded 102 each. The front one is on the porch that faces east; totally traps heat in the morning. The back thermometer is in a sunny place until the trees fully leaf out, so it won't be accurate for another week or two. The coolest, 92, is still hot!

CD, we get hot "up here". Not Dallas or Orlando hot, but enough days in the 80s and into the 90s to know better. The problem is, it is common to build a house with hot water baseboard heat - therefore, no duct work. It's cheaper to heat that way, but it has its issues. Having moved from a home that had central air, we inquired into costs to switch from baseboard heat to a ducted system. In spite of the increase in commission to each agent (our buyer's agent plus the selling agent for the builder), both tried to talk us out of it. "Oh, you won't need it for even two weeks up here over the entire summer." "Why spend the money when window units can be put in the rooms you want to cool?" :huh: Um, because we want to cool ALL of them? :ermm: :glare:

It was amazing how many neighbors became our friends that first summer...when the temps spiked into the upper 80s...for days and days on end. :cool:

I spent two weeks on Cape Cod during a heat wave. It was upper 90s at the peak of the afternoon. But, the nights were pleasant. We slept with the windows open in our Bed and Breakfast, which had no AC.

The big issue down here is that, in the middle of the summer, it is 85 degrees in the middle of the night -- and it is not "dry heat." Hot, humid and no breeze at 2AM is miserable. I can't sleep in that kind of heat.

I could survive without central AC, although I wouldn't like it, but I'd have to at least have a window shaker to cool my bedroom at night.

CD

"The Cape" and the first few miles along the shoreline have the land breeze/sea breeze thing going, so they can be more comfortable when the ocean temp is in the land's favor. Out here in the wilderness (we're about 60 miles from water to the south and east, land-locked to the north and west), once it's warm, it's warm. We have a natural breeze in our yard since we didn't take out the woods from the back half of our lot, which is the west side. Once the sun gets beyond peak and drops low enough in the west, our entire house is bathed in shadow. That starts by 2:00 PM each day. If you cut the grass anytime after 5:00 PM, you can feel a real nice breeze as you head uphill towards the woods. Still, it doesn't mean a thing if it's going to be around 70 overnight.

We just finished up with two lines of thunderstorms move through. Lightening! Rolling thunder! A cloudburst! I wonder how many neighbors fell out of bed. :LOL: Meanwhile, I laid on my back in the sun room, lights off, and stared out the ceiling at nature's fireworks. Ahhhh...... Dropped the temp down, too. All the way to - 72? Not going much lower, either. A/C on for the night, be we get to turn it off after the heat of tomorrow. Once the temps start to drop, tomorrow's low should be 49. Gotta love spring!

10 degrees centigrade (about 50F I think). "Cast cloth nor clout 'til May be out" In other words keep your winter woolies on until the beginning of June (Or until the may blossom - aka hawthorn blossom - is flowering. Depends where in uk you live.) It was warmer a fortnight ago!

We don't have such wild climate changes over here that you have in the US

Glad I held off planting my seeds. We went from almost 90°F a few days ago to 50° today. The gnats, mosquitoes, and ticks are in heaven. I'm freezing my butt off here along the river.

Warm, humid and windy. It is 84-degrees at 9:52pm, 66-percent humidity, and very windy. I can hear the wind hitting my house, and my house is about 90-percent covered in brick.

Rain and storms are in the forecast for tonight and tomorrow. They tend to like to hit when I am really sound asleep. Nothing like having a close lightning strike, or better yet, tornado sirens wake you up at 3am.

CD

CD

"The Cape" and the first few miles along the shoreline have the land breeze/sea breeze thing going, so they can be more comfortable when the ocean temp is in the land's favor. Out here in the wilderness (we're about 60 miles from water to the south and east, land-locked to the north and west), once it's warm, it's warm. We have a natural breeze in our yard since we didn't take out the woods from the back half of our lot, which is the west side. Once the sun gets beyond peak and drops low enough in the west, our entire house is bathed in shadow. That starts by 2:00 PM each day. If you cut the grass anytime after 5:00 PM, you can feel a real nice breeze as you head uphill towards the woods. Still, it doesn't mean a thing if it's going to be around 70 overnight.

We just finished up with two lines of thunderstorms move through. Lightening! Rolling thunder! A cloudburst! I wonder how many neighbors fell out of bed. :LOL: Meanwhile, I laid on my back in the sun room, lights off, and stared out the ceiling at nature's fireworks. Ahhhh...... Dropped the temp down, too. All the way to - 72? Not going much lower, either. A/C on for the night, be we get to turn it off after the heat of tomorrow. Once the temps start to drop, tomorrow's low should be 49. Gotta love spring!

Just checked the temperature in Boston. It is 64-degrees right now. So, looks like you got some relief.

It is 84 degrees here right now, and it is still May.

We do have a front coming through tonight or in the morning. We are supposed to have more comfortable weather this coming week.

As bad as Dallas gets in August, to really understand misery, you need to go to Houston in August. The temperatures are 5-to-10 degrees cooler than Dallas, but the humidity is ridiculous. You don't know "uncomfortable" until you experience 95-degrees and 80-percent humidity.

I do a lot of work in Houston, and when I take my cameras out of my air-conditioned car, the lenses instantly fog up. I have to wait for the lenses to warm up before I can shoot. I bring extra shirts to Houston so I can change shirts if I have to meet with a client. It is hard to put into words what Houston feels like in August.

I have only been to Minnesota once -- Minneapolis in January. That was the cold equivalent of Houston in August. In both cases, you walk outside, and all you can think of is getting back inside.

CD

Beautiful evening here at almost 8:20. 78F, no wind, 12% humidity. Just came in from sitting out on the patio with a glass of wine and candles. Enjoying this while I can, this summer its sure to hit the usual highs of around 115F. :(:wacko:

(edit) ugh, CD...no way could I be able to tolerate that high of humidity! Every now and then it gets up to maybe 25% here and I die.

Last edited:
... We went from almost 90°F a few days ago to 50° today...
Sounds like our weather. Hmm, maybe we're neighbors? Nah, we don't have a freezer in our garage.

Just checked the temperature in Boston. It is 64-degrees right now. So, looks like you got some relief...
Not really. Boston might have been that low when you checked, but we're 60+ miles away and surrounded by land. Our overnight low was 68 or 69 - I forget which one and have already reset the thermometer. Right now, 25 hours after our thunderstorm and 10-12 hours after the high of 88, we've dropped down to 54. We might lose another degree or two, but at least no 80s or 90s for the next week+. Ahhhhh...

Apparently it was quite windy the night between Thursday and Friday. This tree is in the common area behind my condo. I put arrows to show where two branches broke. They fell on the sidewalk, on the other side of the hedge.

Attachments

• IMG_20170519_200802 with arrows.jpg
    IMG_20170519_200802 with arrows.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 71
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom