What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Be safe Craig, MedTran, Josie...who am I missing? How soon till landfall for Florida?

If nothing changes, they are looking at Sunday.

BTW, these days, not that many people choose to ride out hurricanes like this. For too many, the choice is made for them. In the case of Houston and Harvey, the city is just too big to evacuate. In the case of Katrina, it was mostly poor people who had no way to evacuate. The elderly are vulnerable, too, if they have no one to look after them.

CD

Again, while armageddon looms in the tropics at the peak of Hurricane season, North Texas is having wonderful weather. 80s during the day, and 60s at night. It is forecast to get down to 57 tonight. Wow, that's cool for the first week in September, these days.

Bad news is that it is also peak ragweed season. My kryptonite. I took psycho-poodle for a 30-minute walk today, and came home with itchy eyes and a runny nose.

CD

Be safe Craig, MedTran, Josie...who am I missing? How soon till landfall for Florida?
Tinlizzie, but I got a message from her today. I checked in with her seeing as how she hasn't logged in for about 3 months or so. Wanted to make sure she was still alive and kicking so I can look forward to our annual meet-up! :LOL: I know, I know, it's all about >me<, :LOL:

She lives closer to the west coast. Even though they aren't in the path for the worst hit, she said they still expect to lose power by this weekend and have it restored, in her words, "sooner or later". She also said almost all her storm shutters are in place and she's ready for whatever. I hope for the sake of ALL those who will meet up with Irma that they remain safe and had a return to normal sooner rather than later.

Irma update: Adopted son in Orlando heading to Kentucky instead of NC, cousins in Ocala are probably leaving in AM to head up to my cousin's house in Norfolk. Sis and BIL on OBX will probably stay on island as it looks to be a Cat 3 or less when it gets up to us.

Weather for today - sunny and cooler! 62 degrees ATM!

Irma update: Adopted son in Orlando heading to Kentucky instead of NC, cousins in Ocala are probably leaving in AM to head up to my cousin's house in Norfolk. Sis and BIL on OBX will probably stay on island as it looks to be a Cat 3 or less when it gets up to us.

Weather for today - sunny and cooler! 62 degrees ATM!

Sorry but a sandy island in shallow ocean water is about the last place I would want to be for a Category 3 hurricane. Do they think it's only dangerous if it's a 5?

Well, this is pretty horrifying for Florida. The forecast is for Irma to go pretty much straight up the peninsula. By the time it reaches Georgia, it's supposed to have diminished to a Cat 1 and then weaken further.

My friends who were stuck in Key West are on a plane to Atlanta and should be landing in Norfolk at midnight tonight. Such a relief.

Florida DC members, best wishes on getting through this with as little loss and damage as possible. Take care.

Forgot to post this image from the National Hurricane Center.
215356_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.jpg

72 in St. Paul. Beautiful evening. Seating outside smoking cigar. Worrying sick about my kids. I have 3 in Florida.

Sorry but a sandy island in shallow ocean water is about the last place I would want to be for a Category 3 hurricane. Do they think it's only dangerous if it's a 5?

We tried to get them to come in if it's a Cat 1 thru 3 but they have ridden them out before and they are stubborn. It's now looking even more like we will only get some wind and rain.

We tried to get them to come in if it's a Cat 1 thru 3 but they have ridden them out before and they are stubborn. It's now looking even more like we will only get some wind and rain.
Yes, it looks like we're going to get lucky.

People need to recognize that the nature of these storms is changing, as is the geography of southeastern Virginia and northeastern North Carolina. The seas continue to rise, the ground here continues to subside, and those barrier islands become more vulnerable every year to severe erosion. How many times has NC 12 been washed out?

I know there's nothing you can do about other people's decisions. I'm just venting a bit.

My grandson, his GF and her family just left Port Richie (Pasco County), FL area... There are mandatory evacuations for some in Pasco County..There is hope that Irma won't hit the area directly but, better safe than sorry.. A positive note is that they have an RV and a van.. If they can find a safe place to stay, housing will not be a problem for them..

Ross

Last edited:
OMGosh....too many folks here to mention individually who are affected by this storm or who have family members in it's path, but sending up thoughts and prayers for safety to all. I've been glued to the news from here on the west coast and just can't imagine this terror and the aftermath. :(

Our whole country is going through such devastation.

Sorry I haven't posted before now we have
been busy trying to get every thing ready for Irma
We are right in the middle of its path and we are
staying.The whole family is staying
SIL is with theSheriffs Dept and has been called in .
DD is a ASL interpature and she always on call.
Oldest GS is with State Dept water management district.
Three first responders in one family.Please pray for us.
The Computer just popped up a notice that Irma
had just made land fall in Cuba as a Cat 5. Craig and Karen
I am glad you go out. stay safe!!

Josie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom