What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11°F here as far as the weather channel is concerned, but that is in town. Up here on the mountain, my car's external gauge read 8°F a few hours ago when the sun was still up.

I put down some ice melt in the driveway this morning, but I think it's too cold out to be effective.

I wonder how the poor, dumb bastards are gonna feel in Times Square on New Year's eve?

Between the cold and the personal anti-freeze consumption, I'm guessing that they won't be feeling much, bucky. :LOL: Hope none of them lose noses or toeses.

We had a balmy 14 for a high today - it's supposed to be 35. We're almost at the predicted low of 12 - it's 13 for the moment. Again, the average low of the night is supposed to be 23. I'd enjoy a bit more seasonal weather right about now! :LOL: BTW, we have the better of the weather here in OH than we would be "enjoying" back in MA. I've never seen so many single digits and (-) signs in a 10-day forecast than I saw this evening. :ohmy:

It is 37 right now. It looks like 30s and 40s for another week. January is generally winter for us here in Dallas. We haven't had snow in a few years. Better yet, we haven't had an ice storm. Those are worse than snow. You can drive on snow, but not on ice, and ice storms take out a lot of really nice trees. They just cant handle the weight of a thick coating of ice.

My best friend likes to mess with his family and co-workers by randomly telling them the temperature in Fargo. It is minus 7 degrees right now. :LOL:

CD

It's a terribly unseasonable 17 degrees F right now and it got down to 12 overnight. Brrrr!

In case anyone was wondering, the freezing temperatures blanketing most of the United States are courtesy of our neighbor to the north. A good ol' Arctic blast! Interesting info here: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/28/16827022/cold-arctic-snap-us-canada-jet-stream

And here's a cool satellite image of the famous lake-effect snow you may have heard about. It's surrounding Michigan right now: https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ect-snow-over-michigan-great-lakes/984833001/

It's a terribly unseasonable 17 degrees F right now and it got down to 12 overnight. Brrrr!

In case anyone was wondering, the freezing temperatures blanketing most of the United States are courtesy of our neighbor to the north. A good ol' Arctic blast! Interesting info here: https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/12/28/16827022/cold-arctic-snap-us-canada-jet-stream

And here's a cool satellite image of the famous lake-effect snow you may have heard about. It's surrounding Michigan right now: https://www.freep.com/story/news/lo...ect-snow-over-michigan-great-lakes/984833001/

Yep, the jet stream is getting more and more "wavy," which brings those arctic temperatures into some of the country, while other areas are warmer than usual.

CD

Brrrr! I'm getting cold just reading about the temps. Be safe, all of you in the super cold zones!

We had a high of 66F today and sunny. The golden leaves look so pretty against the blue sky. It's supposed to be a high of 70F tomorrow - soaking it all up before the temp drops drastically soon.

Oh, c'mon, Rock. This ain't nothin' to you guys.
I'm psyched that the ponds here are gonna freeze enough to skate on. It's been years since I've skated on a real pond in the woods. Time to suit up, and no lifting the puck above the knee.

Last edited:
Oh, c'mon, Rock. This ain't nothin' to you guys.
I'm psyched that the ponds here are gonna freeze enough to skate on. It's been years since I've skated on a real pond in the woods. Time to suit up and no lifting the puck above the knee.

Was the water cold enough before this cold spell to freeze to a thickness to support people? Didn't you guys have a rather warm Autumn?

Be careful, and drill that ice for thickness before you skate on it.

CD

This morning we had a Chinook wind that got us up to 45 degrees F @ 6:30 am. When I left for work @ 4 pm it was 13 degrees F, currently 3 degrees F and supposed to have wind chills from -10 to -25 degrees F. Darn wind...

Weird in the extreme. Thursday was mild (for December) and sunny. Yesterday Friday) I woke up to ice & heavy snow, bad under-foot and difficult to get the car up the lane and out onto the main road. By late afternoon it was raining and the ice melting. Today a bit cold and cloudy but all signs of snow, ice and rain have vanished. I need to go to see cousins about 60 miles away but can't trust the weather. (Summer is even sillier in Summer!!)

Last edited:
18°F today, and only 11° tomorrow. Sounds like good weather for watching the last weekend of the regular season NFL games. Sure wouldn't want to be sitting in the stadium. :wacko:

It is 36 right now. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be 34, and Monday's high is supposed to be 28. I hope this weather kills a whole bunch of insects. Otherwise, I can do without it.

On the other hand, my intercooled turbocharged car is loving this stuff. It's a physics thing... air density and internal combustion.

CD

Here on the Island of Montreal, currently -19°C (-2°F), feels like -22°C (-8°F). All bundled up and not outside for too long, it didn't feel too bad.

Went out this afternoon totally ignorant of the actual temperature. After all, I was out there just long enough to clean the 4 or 5 inches of snow off of the car and shovel the droppings from around it. How cold could I get? I did have a jacket and gloves on, but the jacket is lightweight and good enough until the very upper 20s, the gloves are dressy (rather than sport) Isotoners. By the time I was done about 10 minutes after I went out, I thought I was going to lose my fingers! Came in and found out it was 12! Here I thought it was in the 20s. :LOL: By the time we came home from dinner tonight, the display was showing 8. Brrrr. I couldn't hack it with you, taxy, or anyone else up there along the northern border.

Loverly gave me a pair of her mittens, sherpa lined, to use if I have to go out to clean the car again while we're here. We don't call her LOVErly for nothing! :heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom