What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fog, fog, and more fog.

I went out to pick uo a package from Amazon in the driveway, and you couldn't see 10 feet. That may be a good thing because somewhere just past the driveway an animal - probably just a deer - was moving about. But you never know.

It's cold, wet and gross here. The whole house is cold except for my 72* office. This hurts after last week, which was glorious and capped spending three weeks in Florida, Sint Maarten, St. Thomas and the Bahamas. Spring needs to get here, or I need to move to Florida.

I'd much rather the latter, to be honest.

It's in the mid-30's right now, with sideways rain. The wind is steady at about 15 MPH, but is gusting often around 25 or so. Tomorrow is expected to be worse, with steady winds in the 20s and gusts by us approaching 50 MPH. It will be even worse along the coast; I wonder if Andy will be vacationing an extra day or two in Miami, since many flights into and out of the airports up here are delayed or canceled.

Looking forward to later in the day on Saturday, or maybe not until Sunday, and hoping we make it all the way through this with our power still on. The potential power outage map looked pretty ugly when I saw it, and only getting worse. :ermm:

It was beautiful today, after a week of rain. Actually, three weeks of rain at least three days a week.

On the plus side, all of our reservoirs are at or above 100-percent normal capacity -- a good thing in North Texas. We need to have full reservoirs in NT before summer hits, and the rains stop. That is where we get all our water.

On the bad side, once we reach 100-percent normal capacity, the Army Corps of Engineers has to start letting water out, one lake at a time, which means flooding down South in Texas.

CD

...A friend of mine posted this on Facebook. It's a pretty cool animated image of the storm wind pattern.

https://earth.nullschool.net/
Sure it's pretty cool...unless that is pretty much the same kind of image you're seeing on your own local TV station weather report. :ermm: Trees still standing, power still on. It's still all good. ;)

Speaking of Bahstun weather, I wonder if the winds blew Addie away, or maybe the rising tide washed her down the street? She hasn't been around for a couple of weeks - not since about the discouraging news about her leg problems...

Sure it's pretty cool...unless that is pretty much the same kind of image you're seeing on your own local TV station weather report. :ermm: Trees still standing, power still on. It's still all good. ;)

Speaking of Bahstun weather, I wonder if the winds blew Addie away, or maybe the rising tide washed her down the street? She hasn't been around for a couple of weeks - not since about the discouraging news about her leg problems...

Yeah, I was wondering where she didn't get off to. Hope she's OK.

We had about a foot of snow yesterday, and trees down all over from the high winds. It took me 3 hours to get home becauae so many roads were closed due to downed trees.

And now I'm off to go blow the snow off the driveway. There are 3 foot drifts. My truck is stuck at the end of the driveway as I wasn't able to make it over the wall of the the town snowplows made. :mad:

We received some much needed rain the last couple of days. My plants are happy for now.
I also need to start thinking about combating the weeds which are starting to sprout. I usually get a head start by spraying the entire back yard with Round Up, the high concentrate commercial stuff. I’ll do that like once a month til spring is over so I won’t have to deal an overgrown back yard like some of my neighbors here who end up paying several hundred $$$ each spring for brunch clearance.

Be careful using large amoumts of Roundup, roadfix. It's not just deadly to plants, it's extremely bad for animals and humans. Don't breathe any in or get it on your skin, and try not to use it near water or storm drains.

Be careful using large amoumts of Roundup, roadfix. It's not just deadly to plants, it's extremely bad for animals and humans. Don't breathe any in or get it on your skin, and try not to use it near water or storm drains.
Curious what your source for that is. Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, has no effect on people or animals. It interferes with a metabolic pathway that only exists in plants. And it breaks down to inert ingredients, usually within a couple of weeks, so it doesn't accumulate in the soil.

From http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/glyphogen.html

What happens to glyphosate when it enters the body?

In humans, glyphosate does not easily pass through the skin. Glyphosate that is absorbed or ingested will pass through the body relatively quickly. The vast majority of glyphosate leaves the body in urine and feces without being changed into another chemical."

Last edited:

Yes, thanks, I'm aware of the hazards of using this product. This product is highly effective and I've been using it for 30 yrs. A gallon of this concentrate makes about 80 gallons of workable solution and usually lasts me 3 seasons.

Curious what your source for that is. Glyphosate, the active ingredient in Roundup, has no effect on people or animals. It interferes with a metabolic pathway that only exists in plants. And it breaks down to inert ingredients, usually within a couple of weeks, so it doesn't accumulate in the soil.

From Glyphosate General Fact Sheet

Wow, no, there's so much info out there about how bad it is. Just search glysophate toxicity, or glysophate poisoning. Especially near water. However, Roundup has other things in it that make it worse that just glysophate.

I mean, it works great, but it's nasty stuff.

Last edited:
Wow, no, there's so much info out there about how bad it is. Just search glysophate toxicity, or glysophate poisoning. Especially near water. However, Roundup has other things in it that make it worse that just glysophate.

I mean, it works great, but it's nasty stuff.
I don't just Google stuff and accept random results as truth; I use results from specific sites or types of sites, like the university site I cited. There is a lot of misinformation out there about it. So I would like to know exactly what source of information you are using.

Last edited:
I've researched this over the last 10 years or so as I looked up stuff about organic gardening, and when I was helping a friend put in a pond that included frogs and turtles.

Do some research for yourself, and not just by corporate or government funded sites ; you'll see.

Last edited:
I've researched this over the last 10 years or so as I looked up stuff about organic gardening, and when I was helping a friend put in a pond that included frogs and turtles.

Do some research for yourself; you'll see.
Bucky, I became a master gardener with Cooperative Extension in 2013. I have not only researched it online, I have been educated about it by university professors who have researched it in laboratories, in people, and in the field. Everything is toxic at some level - even water and salt, but the dose makes the poison. You would literally have to drink *three gallons* of Roundup to kill a person.

From https://gmo.geneticliteracyproject.org/FAQ/is-glyphosate-roundup-dangerous/

How toxic is glyphosate exactly? To examine toxicity, one must look at a chemicals LD50 value–a standard measure of acute toxicity for chemicals, expressed in the amount of chemical (milligrams) per body weight (kg) that it took to kill fifty percent of a population of test animals. Caffeine is over ten times more toxic than glyphosate. With LD50 of 192 mg/kg, it would take 12,192 mg of caffeine to kill an average 140 lb human being. A typical 8 oz cup of coffee only contains 95 mg of caffeine, much lower than the dose required for acute toxicity. The same reasoning applies to glyphosate. Using similar calculations, it would take 12.5 oz of glyphosate to kill an average 140 lb human being. That means drinking three gallons of Roundup Original. Using scientific measures, glyphosate is less toxic than baking soda and salt.

Last edited:
I don't just Google stuff and accept random results as truth; I use results from specific sites or types of sites, like the university site I cited. There is a lot of misinformation out there about it. So I would like to know exactly what source of information you are using.

I have an idea, spray some on some greens and tomatoes and make yourself a salad. Let us know how it works out. :rolleyes:

CD

Good for you, GG. Don't drink it. And don't listen to Casey (it's Taylor HAM)

Again, it wouldn't hurt to keep looking, maybe at less pretentious sources, would it?

If nothing else, double check your trusted sources with its affect on frogs.

That's how I got started on it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom