What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll have a blanket of snow with a gentle hump in the middle. Hope you have all the bread and milk you'll need for the duration!
So it will look like a pregnant rock? :LOL: ;)

We've got this storm stuff down pat. I usually buy milk before we run out, I've got bread as long as the flour and electricity hold on, and we even have eggs. AND wine. :yum: No last minute run to the store around here.

Snow totals: Himself measured eight inches accumulation on the driveway, but the drive is blacktop. I noticed about two inches of snow on the grass and other soft surfaces before snow started to accumulate on the drive. I'm guessing we got a total of 10 inches, but a very heavy 8-10 inches it is. Took Himself a while to clear the drive - the snowblower kept clogging from the wet snow even though it's a 2-stage model.

Rock photo taken about the same time as the first picture except for 48 hours later. You might notice there are now some branches in the foreground. A couple of those scruffy trees in the immediate vicinity of the rock were also off-screen on the right and a bit forward of the shot. Thanks to the heavy snow, they became a photo bomb feature. Looks like Himself and his chain saw will be busy sometime this spring. At least all of our real trees seem to have made it through the storm just fine.

Attachments

• 20180308_150405.jpg
    20180308_150405.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 113
Be glad you don't live in the UK. 2" inches of snow and the world is about to end!

Last week was a nightmare. I had some essential things to do in the village so I de-frosted the car and dug it out of the house drive (admittedly, it did take me 3/4 of an hour but I'm 68 and a bit arthritic and kept having a rest!). The lane was a bit slippery but nothing to write home about and the main roads had been cleared reasonably adequately. Went into the village to do some essential stuff. Plenty of parking space. Half the shops were closed AND the library AND the schools, both primary (5-11) and secondary (11-16) and the 6th form college (16-18).

What is the matter with these people? It's not as if we're in the middle of nowhere - we're only 10 miles out of Manchester.

In the early 1970s when I did my teacher training in Wales. My second year teaching practice was at a primary school in the Brecon Beacons (South Wales). It snowed badly during the third week. Did the world end? Did it h*ll! The other student and I walked to school along the main road through snow up to our hip joints (we'd have failed teaching practice if we stayed away from school for anything less than two broken legs and galloping pneumonia!). The only child who didn't show up was in quarantine with chicken pox (varicella)! One child lived on a farm 2 miles away but still got to school - mother walked through virgin snow, over the fields, leading the child on the family pony! Not only did she walk home but she walked back with the pony to collect her child at home-time.

OK, grumble over. Hope you are all thawed out and toasty warm.

Last edited:
Oooh...pretty pic, CG. Looks mighty cold there, brrrr!

Madcook, good to see you again. :)

It's been raining here off and on all day today...love it! Coming down pretty good right now. :)

With it being in the low 30s, Cheryl, it would be cold for you. For me? I know I don't have to take the cooler with me when I go grocery shopping. :LOL:

I wish it would have been colder when the snow came down. Instead of the heavy, branch-breaking stuff we got, it would have been nice and fluffy. Maybe next time - we're due for more snow starting overnight Monday-to-Tuesday. Wash-rinse-repeat. :wacko:

Wonderful weather here, but there is a downside. Flowering trees are blooming. Pretty to look at, but they load the air with pollen.

A front is coming through tonight, so it will be in the 60s tomorrow instead of the upper 70s like it was today.

Storm season (AKA hail season) is soon upon us. My roof did not quite sustain enough damage to get replaced by Allstate last year. Maybe this year will finish it off. As long as my MINI is in the garage, let it hail. My roof is already messed up from golf-ball size hail from last Spring. Put it out of its misery.

CD

Last edited:
Wonderful weather here, but there is a downside. Flowering trees are blooming. Pretty to look at, but they load the air with pollen.

CD

I remember reading years ago that older folks from the East coast that suffered from allergies and breathing problems were told to move to the desert Southwest in order to breathe better.

But then they wanted their yards and lawns to look the same as they were used to, so they planted all of the allergy producing plants there as well, negating any benefits.

So much for that great, dry heat.

With it being in the low 30s, Cheryl, it would be cold for you. For me? I know I don't have to take the cooler with me when I go grocery shopping. :LOL:

I wish it would have been colder when the snow came down. Instead of the heavy, branch-breaking stuff we got, it would have been nice and fluffy. Maybe next time - we're due for more snow starting overnight Monday-to-Tuesday. Wash-rinse-repeat. :wacko:

I use the cooler in the winter for produce, to keep it on a fridge side temp instead of frozen.

My plant kids can't wait for spring so they can go outside and play:

Attachments

• 0311180948_HDR.jpg
    0311180948_HDR.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 75
Aaaaand another snowstorm is on the way.

I guess the grill will have to wait.

Attachments

• 0308180959c_HDR.jpg
    0308180959c_HDR.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 87
I use the cooler in the winter for produce, to keep it on a fridge side temp instead of frozen.
I remember one time I should have done that (but I didn't own a cooler). Back in the 1980s we drove the 20 km to the nearest grocery store and did the shopping. Then we ran into friends and went for a pizza. When we got home all the eggs were frozen and cracked, but usable with care. The potatoes thawed out to little bags of goo.

hovering to almost 40 degrees F most days, then tomorrow a high of 30 and after that close to or above 40 every day......so hiking in on the schedule.

Wow bucky and CG...all that snow!! :ohmy: Holy moly. Those are really pretty pics, though.

We got a good downpour that was headed up north from roadfix's area. Didn't last very long, and it's sunny now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom