"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #8401
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
So who is getting hit by hurricane Sandy? We are expecting a lot of snow and power outages. All of the trees are weak from our summer storm! They are calling it "Frankenstorm."
We're supposed to get heavy rain and high winds starting tonight through Monday. We also have coastal flood watches in effect. We have a generator (DH just tested it) and a gas stove, so we should be all right. Our neighborhood lost most of its big trees during Hurricane Isabel in 2003, but there will probably still be power outages.

I'm heading to the store for a few last-minute items (already have water, canned goods and plenty of wine ) and to fill up my car with gas, and then we'll just wait for it to blow over.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #8402
Chef Extraordinaire

There have been only two storms in my lifetime that I consider was worth all the hype. Andrew which devasted Souther Florida and Katrina. No comment needed there.

Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #8403
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There have been only two storms in my lifetime that I consider was worth all the hype. Andrew which devasted Souther Florida and Katrina. No comment needed there.
I don't pay much attention to the news, since I'm married to a former Navy meteorologist. However, I have very expensive medication that needs to be refrigerated and we regularly lose power during a normal summer thunderstorm. And I was certainly happy I had filled the tub with water after Hurricane Isabel hit here, since we didn't have water service for five days. I know people who didn't have power for two weeks after that.

It doesn't have to be catastrophic to make people miserable, hungry and sick. There's nothing wrong with being prepared.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:05 PM   #8404
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Excellent points, GG. Any storm can be devastating.

We have a chilly 45 here along the river, deceptively sunny.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:06 PM   #8405
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

It's snowing off and on here and I'm loving the cold weather. I do hope that hurricane Sandy is just a big softie and bypasses everyone.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:21 PM   #8406
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
We're supposed to get heavy rain and high winds starting tonight through Monday. We also have coastal flood watches in effect. We have a generator (DH just tested it) and a gas stove, so we should be all right. Our neighborhood lost most of its big trees during Hurricane Isabel in 2003, but there will probably still be power outages.

I'm heading to the store for a few last-minute items (already have water, canned goods and plenty of wine ) and to fill up my car with gas, and then we'll just wait for it to blow over.
We bought a generator during the summer power outage, my car is full, we have a gas stove and a grill. My husband went to buy water and a heater (we can plug it up with the generator!) We cut some of the trees around our garage but there is a huge one over our house. Hopefully it stays strong!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #8407
Certified Cake Maniac

Once again it is rainy, windy and cold here. Yes, I know this is the "Great Wet North", but one beautiful day in 10 is just not enough for my aching joints!

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #8408
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie
But if the conditions are right (aka wrong) this could be the worse storm for the area in the last 100 years. I think being prepared is a good thing.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #8409
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sandy may not be hitting us directly, but we're definitely getting some weather from it.

It turned chilly last night (50s) and very windy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #8410
Chef Extraordinaire

Very cool right now at 8.15am but it is so sunny and going to be a perfect day, 23 c with blue skies