What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is this so important to you, Caslon??? Families were incinerated in their cars trying to escape, for crying out loud! :cry: Immeasurable amounts of wildlife and pets perished and there are thousands homeless. Shouldn't that be the freakin' focus?

Call an insurance agent up there if you need a "ballpark estimate" so badly - if you can find one whose business wasn't burned down, that is. I'm done with this subject.

Breathe, Cheryl, breathe.

I understand Caslon's curiosity. Losing your home is horrible. Losing it without insurance is even more horrible, unless you are very wealthy.

Having grown up in Hurricane country, I have seen people forced to live in tiny apartments in their golden years because they didn't have flood insurance for their dream home that was destroyed by floodwaters. The hurricane was an act of nature, the lack of flood insurance was a self-inflicted wound.

To me, getting everyone out alive is the primary focus.

If they are still alive, they haven't lost "everything."

Back on topic... It got up into the 40s today. Still colder than normal, but it was sunny, and the winds died down, so it was tolerable.

It is 33F right now, and the low is forecast to be 30F.

Low 60s tomorrow, which is back to normal for us right now.

CD

Here in Quebec, most mortgage lenders will, if you want, take an extra amount on your mortgage payments and pay the property for you out of that. Yes, they pay interest on the property tax account. They have done that at least since the late 1980s, when I bought my first house. I find it very convenient that I don't have to think about the payments for property tax. I wouldn't dream of telling the bank not to do that for me. If there isn't enough in my property tax account to cover the tax payments, the bank pays it anyways and just increases the amount they take for each mortgage payment to catch up. They spread it out over the period until next the payments are billed the next year.

I have been a homeowner for so long, that I am not required to pay into an escrow account for my taxes and insurance. But, as a primary lienholder, the mortgage company is alerted if I don't pay either one of them.

I wrote the property tax check wrong a few years ago, by 56-cents, and the mortgage company went into full beatdown mode. Warnings by certified mail and threats of foreclosure. :ohmy:

CD

We're supposed to be getting 5 inches of snow tomorrow, which means more like 8 inches up on my mountain.Then it's supposed to be followed by hours of sleet and ice.

Guess who's calling in sick tomorrow night?

I'm looking forward to getting the fireplace going, and just watching it all happen.

I have been a homeowner for so long, that I am not required to pay into an escrow account for my taxes and insurance. But, as a primary lienholder, the mortgage company is alerted if I don't pay either one of them.

I wrote the property tax check wrong a few years ago, by 56-cents, and the mortgage company went into full beatdown mode. Warnings by certified mail and threats of foreclosure. :ohmy:

CD
As I wrote, the bank does it if you want them to. You generally don't have to, I just find it very convenient. It was particularly convenient when money DH wasn't working and money was really tight.

And, back on topic. We had a bit of snow the other day. Right now it's -10°C and feels like -16°C.

Some choose to have their insurance and prop tax impounded when carrying a mortgage. It’s convenient, and broken down and tacked onto your monthly mortgage payments. This way you’re not hit with an annual property tax bill where you have a choice of paying in full or in 2 installments.
For us folks in LA County the first installment must be paid in April and the second one in December.

Last edited:
taxy, you really didn't need to share.

If "blech" is a proper meteorological description, thst sums up our weather. Our 6" of snow is getting compacted by the sleet coming down right now. We're going nowhere tomorrow, and this will be all gone by Saturday.
IMG_20181116_000229954.jpg

taxy, you really didn't need to share.

If "blech" is a proper meteorological description, thst sums up our weather. Our 6" of snow is getting compacted by the sleet coming down right now. We're going nowhere tomorrow, and this will be all gone by Saturday.
View attachment 32285

Well by the time all those nasties reach my area, everything was melting as fast as it hit the ground. There isn't one snow flake in sight. But it is overcast. I would rather have the son.

It's the "Height"

Nothing is quite as varied weather-wise as the Desert Southwest. We have, today, mostly sunny, 56`F this morning, 75`F right now, 4:00PM. Only 180 miles east of us, it was 15`F this morning, will "crack" through freezing briefly.

Bullhead City, Arizona, elevation 550 feet above sea level.

Flagstaff, Arizona, elevation 7,000 feet above sea level.

Two towns of roughly the same size, only 180 miles apart, but worlds apart weather-wise. imp

It is back to normal seasonal weather, here. It is 64F right now (6:25pm). I can live with this.

CD

It's 50F here right now. We're leaving tomorrow morning to spend Thanksgiving with my FIL in Michigan. It's 35 there, with a wintry mix of sleet and snow [emoji944] Yuck.

Oh well, once we get there, I will give DH and his dad a grocery list and spend my time inside the warm house making it smell good and filling up his freezer. I hate traveling around Thanksgiving, but for him, I will do it cheerfully.

It's 50F here right now. We're leaving tomorrow morning to spend Thanksgiving with my FIL in Michigan. It's 35 there, with a wintry mix of sleet and snow [emoji944] Yuck.

Oh well, once we get there, I will give DH and his dad a grocery list and spend my time inside the warm house making it smell good and filling up his freezer. I hate traveling around Thanksgiving, but for him, I will do it cheerfully.

Have a safe trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom