"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #8511
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It's not unreal, it's winter...and I love it! The 5 foot of snow has only happened a couple of times, but I've been in lots of snowfalls that are 3-4 feet deep. It's typical for us to get at least one snowfall that is more than 0.3 m to 1 m. If we get a good one this year, I'll be sure to post a picture.
I love Winter too

That will be great, would love to see a photo if you get a good one
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #8512
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Today it is a lovely spring day, 26c
__________________

__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #8513
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
It is 46F now & cool outside. We are expecting some snow this weekend in SE South Dakota.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:17 PM   #8514
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Sounds good SB, do you like the snow?
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #8515
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
Sounds good SB, do you like the snow?
I like winter much better than summer. Do I like the snow? I do not like shoveling it, moving it, scraping windows, driving in a blizzard with a "white out" & getting frostbite. But there is nothing more beautiful than an evening outside while it's snowing. It is wonderful how a blizzard just brings a community together in so many ways. It is fun to play in the snow watching the kids, & the kids at heart, sledding down the hills & making snowmen & snow forts with all the snowball fights. Or, the crisp noise when you walk on new fallen snow in the moonlight. One of the best things is cross country skiing in the country around sundown. The smells are indescribable: So fresh, thin ice by the creek & to listen to the water running or when the geese take off & you can just see the ice on their wings & the beautiful sky all the orange, purple, yellow & pink sunsets over snow packed hills & praries. So, do I like snow? Well, maybe.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #8516
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
SB, you forgot; On a clear crisp winter night, full moon and looking up at the sky full of twinkling stars while walking on new fallen snow. Winter can be truly a Winter Wonderland.

So I have an idea folks. For those of us that live in the north or in the mountains where we get snow, lets take some pictures this year for our snowless members and call it "Winter Wonderland." Take pictures of all the wonderful things SB mentions in her eloquent post. Every season has its own beauty, but there is something so awe inspiring about winter right after a large snowfall. It makes you want to have a big mug of hot chocolate with a big spoonful of Marshmallow Fluff on top.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #8517
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
SB, you forgot; On a clear crisp winter night, full moon and looking up at the sky full of twinkling stars while walking on new fallen snow. Winter can be truly a Winter Wonderland.

So I have an idea folks. For those of us that live in the north or in the mountains where we get snow, lets take some pictures this year for our snowless members and call it "Winter Wonderland." Take pictures of all the wonderful things SB mentions in her eloquent post. Every season has its own beauty, but there is something so awe inspiring about winter right after a large snowfall. It makes you want to have a big mug of hot chocolate with a big spoonful of Marshmallow Fluff on top.
Thank you addie, well said! That is a great idea about the pictures too.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:09 AM   #8518
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Kylie1969's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 13,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
I like winter much better than summer. Do I like the snow? I do not like shoveling it, moving it, scraping windows, driving in a blizzard with a "white out" & getting frostbite. But there is nothing more beautiful than an evening outside while it's snowing. It is wonderful how a blizzard just brings a community together in so many ways. It is fun to play in the snow watching the kids, & the kids at heart, sledding down the hills & making snowmen & snow forts with all the snowball fights. Or, the crisp noise when you walk on new fallen snow in the moonlight. One of the best things is cross country skiing in the country around sundown. The smells are indescribable: So fresh, thin ice by the creek & to listen to the water running or when the geese take off & you can just see the ice on their wings & the beautiful sky all the orange, purple, yellow & pink sunsets over snow packed hills & praries. So, do I like snow? Well, maybe.
Yes, the look of snow, the fun you can have in it all sound great...but the first things you mentioned sound like a real hassle
__________________
All I really need is love, but a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt
Kylie1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #8519
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
It is now 23F...supposed to get to 16F. I plan on walking in the morning. Wishing for snow, not just cold.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #8520
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
It is now 23F...supposed to get to 16F. I plan on walking in the morning. Wishing for snow, not just cold.
And if you do get snow, don't forget to take pics for our members that have never seen it and how beautiful it can be.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.