What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In an hour here it went from 32 c down to 12deg c . Winds blew so hard it slammed an upstairs window shut that hard the glass shattered, last hour covering window and cleaning glass, both upstairs and down as the window was top of the stairs.5 cuts to wallpaper on the way down. Insurance job I think. Nuts.

Russ

Scary stuff. I think you made the right decision.
Holy cow, RF. Glad you got out when you could.
Wow, I just saw this. Glad you chose wisely, 'fix. You're the only other person I know that solo backpacks in the winter.

What kind of tent do you use? Do you make a fire, or use a backpacker's stove?

Yeah, thanks, I consider myself very lucky.

Winter here in the local mountains I camp rarely gets down to freezing temps.
I'm a hammock camper, no tent, and I usually take with me a canister stove or one of several homemade alcohol stoves I have.

It's been so windy (how windy is it?) that I might have lost a back tooth had I yawned outside. :ermm: I knew better than to go out, though. The peak wind gusts and the temperature have both been in the low 50s. Well, I think our peak wind was in the low 40s, actually. Once the big trees in the back yard start to sway a bit, any wind gets me a little nervous. At least our trees are all standing, and the power has stayed on. I think we're out of the woods for now...

Our weather is insane. We just had the coldest snow storm in nearly 100 years. We got about 15 cm of snow (~6"). Yesterday it warmed up and we had ice pellets, freezing rain, and light snow. Overnight it rained. This is what it looks like now (not my photo).

5c49cd32b6ab4.image.jpg

And this is our forecast. All that water is going to freeze up. :ohmy::(

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-01-24 Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-01-24 Dollard-des-Ormeaux, Quebec 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 71
We're about a day behind you with that weather, taxy. We've had so much rain in the last 12 hours that the swail we had graded into our back yard is full of water - water that would now be in our basement had we left the yard graded the way our builder had it done. :glare: The high point in our road out front is also gone - the flow down our street is heavy enough to give us a pond across from our curb to our neighbor's across street with no little island in the middle. I think we're about done with rain; hopefully any standing water on the roads finds its way to a drain by the end of the night.

Going down to freezing tonight, then mid- to upper-30s tomorrow. So, almost normal...for a day. :LOL:

Yuck! It's 10° with windchill at -10. Really cold and windy all day, with no relief in sight. I ain't goin' nowhere.

Bitter cold in SE South Dakota. -9 below 0. With the wind it hurts your skin to be outside. The cold litterly burns your skin![emoji20]

:LOL: Those are funny, taxy...and so true. There's always somewhere worse!

It's been fairly warm, calm, and sunny here....but come Feb or March, there will be another cold spell and the winds will kick up like crazy.

It was 55 when I got home this morning. The cover of snow and ice was sublimating as fast as it was melting. Fog everywhere up on the mountain.

And tonight, it's going down to 24. Black ice everywhere.

If this keeps up, Andy, Addie, Jenny, CG, The Princess, sir loin, Taxy, Rock, and tenspeed will be growing orange and lemon trees soon enough.

Sunny and cold here on the Island of Montreal. It's gone all the way up to -18°C (0°F).

This is what part of my bedroom window looks like. It's the only window that does this.

qFJkWPO0Vd_y7e4uIg22K67OLt5QmqHl7Z5Z4BdiSlWS6D8hO2MbM85-hFj_Hkei-gvBOBvCn4P7eZqyTaNM1kcGM_jpQ_zViZX84gS-ORChMK8hkktH8DrYeZwL7Amspyq704FgDR7NxONlsFEqoZlmEb2TSRQTpD0u4FBc9j7LltXCRwcT79dvWPKgYU_pIlemYJWr9ynIgaBaHfmxHWPA_t57MxLNR752D8vW6wf04K2f7uOxP09k3Mt5Ibh4DryprIOKfZVVunk4xLBfZtx6bWEyQ51W1RM3r6GpXofJzD01l42Ys-oz4WJav52qInNG7mvktIYBAOqSVoh61C_LSEpQZVrHLQwbeiIVfVr6JFiKYTw7nQTU4vitcFgnJpSRLLjrvJ6WLIlFZN5Jeu-efIbs2PAwjZvLum52J3RMyCsYTkg5gCnIvutdwthwYBwgS73_a-OnYqZKsw4R9rOorhjQkVb813ElXama4e-HaM4M7SQTUZyo4kr9xXo7kU7stjk37lYXZPkgfFUdhPuT2vcKYM6AB2o_EkR7IeYtrVs9v86BvqmFlHbxGhQ4_9RAP4leWM-0maG57_Itu7BE1exlBQQc0r8V5XnYtnAqm2462Zk7PAjOjP1tmgTdL5s5B-ak2m8TxOdjK2i4kQLMEg=w381-h609-no

Last edited:
Sunny and cold here on the Island of Montreal. It's gone all the way up to -18°C (0°F).

This is what part of my bedroom window looks like. It's the only window that does this.

qFJkWPO0Vd_y7e4uIg22K67OLt5QmqHl7Z5Z4BdiSlWS6D8hO2MbM85-hFj_Hkei-gvBOBvCn4P7eZqyTaNM1kcGM_jpQ_zViZX84gS-ORChMK8hkktH8DrYeZwL7Amspyq704FgDR7NxONlsFEqoZlmEb2TSRQTpD0u4FBc9j7LltXCRwcT79dvWPKgYU_pIlemYJWr9ynIgaBaHfmxHWPA_t57MxLNR752D8vW6wf04K2f7uOxP09k3Mt5Ibh4DryprIOKfZVVunk4xLBfZtx6bWEyQ51W1RM3r6GpXofJzD01l42Ys-oz4WJav52qInNG7mvktIYBAOqSVoh61C_LSEpQZVrHLQwbeiIVfVr6JFiKYTw7nQTU4vitcFgnJpSRLLjrvJ6WLIlFZN5Jeu-efIbs2PAwjZvLum52J3RMyCsYTkg5gCnIvutdwthwYBwgS73_a-OnYqZKsw4R9rOorhjQkVb813ElXama4e-HaM4M7SQTUZyo4kr9xXo7kU7stjk37lYXZPkgfFUdhPuT2vcKYM6AB2o_EkR7IeYtrVs9v86BvqmFlHbxGhQ4_9RAP4leWM-0maG57_Itu7BE1exlBQQc0r8V5XnYtnAqm2462Zk7PAjOjP1tmgTdL5s5B-ak2m8TxOdjK2i4kQLMEg=w381-h609-no

I had a window that did that. It was causing my heating bill to go up. Landlord calked all around the glass. Problem solved. Heating bill went way down. I had to keep my drapes closed all the time to keep some of the cold out.

It does look pretty though.

...This is what part of my bedroom window looks like. It's the only window that does this...
Wow, taxy, that photo takes me all the way back to my childhood. The first house we lived in (a rental), was built in 1851. All of the windows were single-pane; Dad had to hang storm windows each fall to keep the heat in. One of my bedroom windows must have had a poor fitting storm window, because it looked like that each winter. I remember pulling the heavy drapery back from the window just so I could scratch pictures into the frost with my fingernail!

Thank goodness for thermopane windows. Maybe there is a leak between the sealed panes? Getting that fixed might eliminate the problem, pretty as it is. Or, just get thicker drapes.

Addie and CG, I'm not worried about the amount of heat I am losing. All that frost is on the outside pane. I can't any cold coming off the inside pane (yes, it is cold). It's one of those things that we will get around to replacing, maybe this summer. It really does have to be very cold before it does that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom