"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-08-2013, 12:55 PM   #9311
Executive Chef

you gotta watch out for those benign and child-friendly sounding storms--like sandy and nemo. addie, we wish you a safe, cozy shelter with power and internet access, from which to report to us on your snow and weather conditions.:)

Old 02-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #9312
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
45 cm is a respectable amount of snow. We're only expecting a total of 10 cm from the same storm.

It's currently -17C (1F) and we have a weather alert, "Strong northeast winds combined with snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow this afternoon."

I guess I better go pick up wine and milk soon.
Perhaps in the Laurentides; that's one of the reasons why I prefer the Dolomiti.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #9313
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Perhaps in the Laurentides; that's one of the reasons why I prefer the Dolomiti.
I'm not talking about ski hills in the Laurentiens. I'm talking about snow dumps in metropolitan areas.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #9314
Chef Extraordinaire

TL--we're experiencing much the same 2 hours west of Montreal. I had a couple of errands to run...haven't decided if I want to brave the cold and snow. It's coming down harder now than it was earlier.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:00 PM   #9315
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
45 cm is a respectable amount of snow. We're only expecting a total of 10 cm from the same storm.

It's currently -17C (1F) and we have a weather alert, "Strong northeast winds combined with snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow this afternoon."

I guess I better go pick up wine and milk soon.
45 cm is about 18 inches of snow. If you have to shovel it, it is more than a respectable amount of snow, it is a pain in the butt. The older I get, the more I dislike snow. Even with a snow blower, one still has to deal with the dump at the end of the driveway compliments of the snowplow. And, thanks to road work done last summer, that now drifts 4-5 feet into the driveway...it didn't used to do that.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #9316
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
TL--we're experiencing much the same 2 hours west of Montreal. I had a couple of errands to run...haven't decided if I want to brave the cold and snow. It's coming down harder now than it was earlier.
It was already snowing and I didn't get out there soon enough. I'm staying in the house. We should have enough milk until tomorrow or Sunday. Wine might run out, but there's hard likker.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #9317
Chef Extraordinaire

First they were predicting 1-1.5 ft of snow. Then 2 ft. Then 3 ft. Now they are predicting 35+ inches up to 40 inches. The govenor has declared a state of emergency in effect at 4 p.m. The Executive Order given is that all vehicles are to be off the road except emergency vehicles and needed personnel. Such as nurses, doctors, etc. And you must show Identification and Authorization. People have taken heed of the order and the roads are empty. A $500 fine and/or one year in jail.

Logan Airport is EMPTY. All flights have been cancelled until after the storm ends on Saturday. No flights are being allowed to land.

I went down to check my mail. I ran into a management maintenance man and asked him how was he going to get home. He is staying on the property to give help to anyone who may need it and to make sure access remains for any emeregency vehicles. (Snowblowing the driveway around the clock) For that I am grateful. It is a constant worry should I have a heart attack. And not just me. We have a few residents in the 90's. One is very frail and sick.

The wind has shifted and is coming in from the North. Everything is blowing sidways. My big winidow is on the north side of the building, and this is the first time I have ever heard it rattle. It is two stories high. I am not going in that room at all. Too scary. That is one BIG, BIG plate glass window. I am wondering if maybe I should get dressed and stay dressed just in case that window gets blown in. I don't usually get rattled by storms, but this one seems different. I have never heard of 35+ inches of snow being predicted before. And we have had more than one blizzard in my lifetime.

Oh, one more thing. Welcome home Andy!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #9318
Assistant Cook

Hmmmm....well it's like 40* here and rainy. But Idaho weather is always pretty cool here at this time of year.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #9319
Chef Extraordinaire

It is going to be a lovely 28c here today, currently 21c at 10am
Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #9320
Executive Chef

Quote:
It was already snowing and I didn't get out there soon enough. I'm staying in the house. We should have enough milk until tomorrow or Sunday. Wine might run out, but there's hard likker.