"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #9411
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
And we call them grocery carts.
But if I hear grocery cart or shopping cart, I think of the ones supermarkets provide for in-store use.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM   #9412
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
But if I hear grocery cart or shopping cart, I think of the ones supermarkets provide for in-store use.
Last night Spike and I were watching Doc Martin. They pronounced some words that if I hadn't been married to an Englishman, we wouldn't have known what they were saying. Or would have had to figure it out. Our favorite word of all though is 'aluminum'. The first time I heard my husband pronounce that one, it took me a long time to figure it out. It was only much later when he added the word 'foil' to it that I knew what he was saying. And to think it is all the same language.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:54 AM   #9413
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopper View Post
MORE SNOW!!! I'm not sure how much we actually got because of the drifting, but I don't have to go to work today (school districts all closed), and when I was cleaning off cars this morning, there was a good 8 or 9 inches on the cars. It is 17 degrees right now, but the sun is shinning. It may not last a long time, but we do have a little more in the forecast. Sure was a long time coming this year! Love it!
You folks who love winter and snow are all nuts. But I love ya anyhow.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:41 PM   #9414
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You folks who love winter and snow are all nuts. But I love ya anyhow.
When you live in a dry climate, any moisture is celebrated. We have been in a drought for a long time. We even celebrate humidity. Once in a while we even get some of it!

It's been blowing all day. No more snow.

The wind has drifted the driveway shut again, and I will need to shovel again when the guys are due home. The only problem is that it is so windy now that the wind chill factor is pretty darn cold with strong wind and 20 degrees. I guess I will go out and get the mail and see just how deep the drift is now. Our street has not been plowed either, but if enough people drive on it there are at least tracks to get through. Hubby has the suburban, but my son with his little car will bottom out if I don't shovel.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #9415
Chef Extraordinaire

It started snowing at 5:00 today in SE S.D. There is about 2" on the ground now, coming down real sleetey making it real icey.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #9416
Master Chef

Waiting for that storm to hit. I keep a full pantry anyway, but really stocked up so I'll feel no need to go out the next couple days (I'm a winter weather driving wimp. Used to walk it all the time, but with the hip fracture this summer, I'm scared to chance much in that way either. This summer I'll build myself up so I'm better next summer. But family contingencies made it hard for me to recover as well as I should).
Old 02-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #9417
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Snow's coming down now, light and powdery. It's supposed to get much worse overnight. With all our snow days so far, we'll have makeup days into mid-June. Grumble.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:56 PM   #9418
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Snow's coming down now, light and powdery. It's supposed to get much worse overnight. With all our snow days so far, we'll have makeup days into mid-June. Grumble.

celebrate now, time enough for grumbling later... snow days carry a special gift of fresh, unspent freedom, a morning's surprise ....
Old 02-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #9419
Chef Extraordinaire

Hot here, 33c
Old 02-21-2013, 11:54 PM   #9420
Executive Chef

We have now used 2 of our snow days. I'm not sure if we will have school tomorrow or not, but we have four days all together written in to the schedule, so we are doing ok here. It is a pain when you have to make up days at the end of the school year.