What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's now around 30 degrees with a wind chill of 18. Overall, over the past 24 hours we got about 2 inches, total. I saw on the news that generally, around Pittsburgh the accumulation was 5-7 inches, but I am actually about 20 miles SE of Pittsburgh, so we didn't get that. What a difference a few miles make.

It's now around 30 degrees with a wind chill of 18. Overall, over the past 24 hours we got about 2 inches, total. I saw on the news that generally, around Pittsburgh the accumulation was 5-7 inches, but I am actually about 20 miles SE of Pittsburgh, so we didn't get that. What a difference a few miles make.

For sure. I have my own weatherman here at home :) He tells me that when there's a weather system boundary, it can be difficult to forecast exactly where the line between freezing rain and snow, or a few inches and many inches of snow, will be, depending on how the system is moving, how close it is to large bodies of water, etc.

West outside of Montreal, Quebec, it is 8*F but in the wind feels like -8*F. On my struggles to the barn and the hen house, some places are clear but then you hit the drifts up to the knees.... sigh, I guess winter really is here... but on a happier note I can spend more time reading the forum and trying new recipes!

Storm's over. We got about 8"-10" light and fluffy. Cares are shoveled out and waiting for the plow to clear our parking spaces.

I shoveled a path from the deck in the back to the sidewalk out front so I can take the trash & recycle out tomorrow.

Sleet. Clouds/fog slowly running up the parkway. Mt. Leconte is completely socked in. We can't even see Grapeyard Ridge right now. It's in the low 30s and miserable. But I'm alive. And I'm about to go out Christmas shopping in Gatlinburg, so it's not that bad.

Long pants? Sweater? I've seen a few crazies up here wearing shorts and sneakers with no socks in that kind of weather. *shakes head*

I never wear socks. I can't stand anything touching the skin graft on my lower leg. Even when I have surgery, I will not let them cover that leg. So freezing weather, I go without socks. And even boots. The graft runs down to the top of my instep. :angel:

For me, right now my weather is rain! Inside my apartment and I don't have enough pans to catch it all. So I will just let it rain and put in for a new carpet or wood floor. :angel:

For me, right now my weather is rain! Inside my apartment and I don't have enough pans to catch it all. So I will just let it rain and put in for a new carpet or wood floor. :angel:
:huh: Is there water coming from the upstairs neighbour?

I hope it stops soon and doesn't cause you too much damage.
:angel:

:huh: Is there water coming from the upstairs neighbour?

I hope it stops soon and doesn't cause you too much damage.

No. It is coming from the roof. The water is seeping down between the walls. There is nothing they can do until the temps go above 32ºF. They have needed a whole new roof and have just been patching for the past six years. There is no damage to my apartment except for the ceiling. I figure sooner or later the ceiling will come down. Nothing under where it is leaking. :angel:

Last edited:
Addie - I really feel for you! How frustrating!

GotGarlic - I am of an age that is still having a hard time with Fahrenheit to Celsius, my kids just don't get my dilemma :ermm:.

But.... 40/44 below is the same in either Fahrenheit or Celsius... NOW THAT IS COLD! I personally think anything below 0 Fahrenheit is cold. We did not cancel outdoor Ringette games unless it was 10 below (F) for the girls. Now you rarely can even find outdoor ice games! They are all indoor arenas! :glare:

Can you really tell a difference between -13 F (9F) and -18C (0 F)?? I'd say both are pretty durned cold! ;)
Yes! I was actually just thinking about that. It's surprising how much difference it makes. at -13C, you dress for it and it's not a big deal. At -18C you have to move around a lot or you can easily die from being outside too long. -18C is a sort of magic boundary for that, well actually that boundary is probably -21.1 F, the temperature where saltwater freezes. Fahrenheit thought it was 0 F. :rolleyes:

Yesterday, with the -18C, we went shopping and one gust of wind and holy cow, it was miserable. I didn't really notice cold anywhere but my face, but, oh boy was that ever cold. Everything else was covered and I was wearing leggings under my jeans. (I am really glad my glasses have plastic rather than metal frames.)

Overnight we got about 8-10 inches of snow, but by the time dawn broke the freezing rain had sealed it down to about 6 inches. The temp? Well after snowblowing the long hill of a drive Himself was chilled, so it was 2-fingers-of-Bourbon cold. Is that a legitimate reading??? :huh:

Sounds stupid I know, but you don't want to wear earrings when the temps drop. There have been cases of frostbite on the earlobes from the metal getting so cold. Take off your metal rings, bracelets, etc. They help conduct the cold to your body. :angel:

Sounds stupid I know, but you don't want to wear earrings when the temps drop. There have been cases of frostbite on the earlobes from the metal getting so cold. Take off your metal rings, bracelets, etc. They help conduct the cold to your body. :angel:
Doesn't sound stupid to me. It was a shocker to me my first winter in Montreal. I have pierced ears and I was in pain. I don't notice a problem from my wedding ring, but I usually wear gloves and it doesn't go through anything.

It stopped snowing around 21h. It's still -13C (9F). I just took out the garbage. I wore my leather jacket and shoes - no hat, no gloves, no boots, no scarf and it felt cold, but not horrible. (Yes, I was wearing trousers, etc. I don't want PF getting even for my smart-arse comment yesterday. ;))

Oh yeah!!! Were you live is entirely relevant to how you view weather!
Born in Hamilton, ON... snow belt but not super cold.
moved to the Twin Cities... lots of snow but still not super cold.
then on to Germany and Switzerland... again, lots of snow but not super cold...
back to Toronto area, yechh.. rain and fog
Vancouver, BC.... city - mostly rain... but lots of snow outside the area.
Montreal... we had more than a month of below 40 (Celsius or Fahrenheit... same thing )... now THAT was a shocker! When it climbed up to 0 Fahrenheit... people were dancing in the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom