What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That avalanche in town is scary. Are you at any risk from avalanches where you live PF?

Considering that those people were unlucky enough to be in an avalanche, they were lucky that the places they were trapped were air pockets.

That avalanche in town is scary. Are you at any risk from avalanches where you live PF?

Considering that those people were unlucky enough to be in an avalanche, they were lucky that the places they were trapped were air pockets.

I'm more towards the center of the valley, so not in danger, a mile's worth of houses between me and the mountain. But, we have lots of friends who live up the canyons who are in danger. And like I said before, the University's student housing and dorms are in the path for a large part of the city. Spring semester is in full swing:ermm:

"Older male is in serious condition, older female is in critical condition and the 8 year old boy is listed in fair condition." From the news site. No mention of actual injuries. The female was the third one found, about three hours after the avalanche, the male two hours after, the boy within about 45-min to an hour.

The Missoula Search and Rescue went from the avalanche site to the local ski area to find two missing skiers who had decided to head off into the wilderness. MS&R were already cold and tired from the avalanche.

More snow today and bitter cold. The man on the TV yesterday said that March is going to be very cold and lots and lots more snow.

Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!

4F, with windchill it's 27F...no going outside today, although Shrek has opened the door a couple of times and been yelled at.

LOL!!!

Shrek just wandered in from checking the mail, covered in snow. He had been out for long enough I was thinking I would have to get dressed again and go search for him. He fell in the snow and couldn't get back up. I got his hands into cold water, they were bright red and cold as ice. No frostbite, thank goodness. No more going out for him until they clear the walks.

PF I was always taught running room temp water for frostbite. Or to warm up hands. I remember my kids coming inside to use the bathroom and get so upset because I made them stop and get their hands warmed up. They didn't even know they were cold. Each kid also had two pair of mittens. While one was drying on the radiator, they were wearing the other. Then when they came in for lunch, I was drying the inside of their boots with the hair dryer. No wonder I hate winter. :angel:

PF I was always taught running room temp water for frostbite. Or to warm up hands. I remember my kids coming inside to use the bathroom and get so upset because I made them stop and get their hands warmed up. They didn't even know they were cold. Each kid also had two pair of mittens. While one was drying on the radiator, they were wearing the other. Then when they came in for lunch, I was drying the inside of their boots with the hair dryer. No wonder I hate winter. :angel:

Room temp water hurts! Cold tap water hurts...Shrek was yelling at me to lower the temp of the water, I had to dribble some on his arm to realize I was using cold water. Cold water does not hurt as much. Times change, use cold water when someone possibly has frostbite.

Room temp water hurts! Cold tap water hurts...Shrek was yelling at me to lower the temp of the water, I had to dribble some on his arm to realize I was using cold water. Cold water does not hurt as much. Times change, use cold water when someone possibly has frostbite.

Thanks PF, good to know. :angel:

I hope you are staying safe PF! Scarey that avalanche can happen so fast with no warning. Tread lightly.....

High of 0 here today. Continuing to have snow flurries off & on all day. The wind has picked up & it's bitter cold out there tonight. Windchill is - 22. The wind feels like it cuts your face it's so cold.

I checked the Farmer's Almanac for March and SE Ontario. We are so far off, it isn't even funny (we're supposed to be experiencing showers and above 0 C temps--NOT, and I rather doubt thunderstorms will be happening by the end of the week as forecast by the FA either.) Gotta go--time to throw yet another log on the fire. I've gone through all the wood I usually go through by the end of April...yes, it has been friggin' cold.

Last edited:
I hope you are staying safe PF! Scarey that avalanche can happen so fast with no warning. Tread lightly.....

High of 0 here today. Continuing to have snow flurries off & on all day. The wind has picked up & it's bitter cold out there tonight. Windchill is - 22. The wind feels like it cuts your face it's so cold.

Thanks SB, I am quite safe. No winter hikes in the mountains.

It has been snowing tiny sparkles for hours. It's very light snow. In several hours it has only accumulated (on my fence top, the only place bare of previous snow) ~3mm. That's less than 1/8".

...Just noticed we have a snow drift on the inside of the front window. The wind forced it around the edges of the storm windows....
Himself's Mom used to leave the bedroom window open all winter - about 1/2 inch. When it snowed she'd have a little drift on the windowsill. Funny thing, she made Dad sleep on the side of the bed closer to the window. :LOL:

Missoula's Avalanche made the national news on CBS!...
The local NBC affiliate ran the full news story up here during the late news on their CW station.

15F and a fresh 4" of the fluffy stuff. I was hoping that when Carol said it was moving south of her it would miss me entirely, but we must be having a different front up by the lake. It's doing exactly what they said it would. That 37 degrees yesterday will be missed for the next several days.

Yes, Pac, you must be getting a different storm. Ours hasn't started yet, and from what they're saying, it's turned so far south that we might only get a couple inches.:mad: We went to the bank yesterday, and there was not 1 open parking space in Giant Eagle's parking lot It's 28 degrees right now. Perfect temp for snow.

This has been the worst year for every part of the country, it seems. Everyone is getting severe weather.

PF, my uncle fell in the snow and couldn't get up. Ended up losing 2 fingers on each hand. Don't believe it when people say drinking alcohol helps. He was tanked!

img_1348344_0_22f914d144c522a5bf70eaaba6317f0f.jpg

Himself's Mom used to leave the bedroom window open all winter - about 1/2 inch. When it snowed she'd have a little drift on the windowsill. Funny thing, she made Dad sleep on the side of the bed closer to the window. :LOL:

The local NBC affiliate ran the full news story up here during the late news on their CW station.

Shrek decided to get rid of the drift and it was gone...we don't know if the cats ate it, it melted or the winds removed it.

Currently 7F with no windchill. Still under Avalanche Watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom