What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's about 55 here now and really light out, thanks to that big ol' bright moon. Loving it. :)

I was hoping for some more rain, but the 5 day forecast says 0%.

Wool bikinis are the worst. Glad you can finally wear your flannel one, Cheryl.

Last edited:
The expected big rain storm came over the top of our house like a freight train last night.

The pounding rain and wind woke me up from a deep sleep around midnight and it raged for who knows how long. This sunny morning our new rain gauge registered 2 1/2 inches.

I just heard on the news that we need ten more storms like this to get us over this terrible California drought. I'm really sorry about all the people with mud slides but....

Kayelle, you have sunshine? :ohmy: I expected you'd still be getting heavy rain in your area. It's still raining here, 45F, and windy. My property is already flooded and heavier thunderstorms are expected this afternoon. The air is so dense and cloudy I can't even see the Sierras out the window, but I hear there's snow. :LOL:

Cheryl, the sun was just a break in the clouds. Since I got up, we've had another 1/2 inch of liquid gold. How do you like my cool new rain gauge?

img_1401960_0_d067a06095a29d27326f75826a3a0090.jpg

Temp: 53; feels much colder though; has been raining incessantly over the past 24 hrs. and we've survived a flash flood warning yesterday.

but... people shouldn't build houses on slopes or in valleys subject to mud slides. It's not rocket science. John McPhee wrote a wonderful book on people battling nature, including a section on this topic: The Control of Nature: John McPhee: 9780374522599: Amazon.com: Books

Nope, it's not rocket science and it's exactly why I've never lived where my home would be in harm's way. Drought leaves everything tinder dry, subject to brush fires and that always leads to flooding and land slides. Some people have the calling to live where there are panoramic views and take the chance of personal disaster, but I've come to learn that some hear a different drummer out here. Some would call it being foolish and others are willing to gamble. On the other hand, natural disasters of earthquakes, tornado's, hurricanes, blizzards, etc. can come to everyone.

Good for you :) Plus the earthquakes make the burned hills, bare of vegetation, unstable, so when the rains come, there's nothing to hold the loose earth in place. It turns to mud and away it goes. When people have to build catch basins above their homes to prevent them from being inundated by mud slides, I think they should be denied insurance and government help.

Kay, that rain gauge is a nice little gadget to have, for sure! You got quite a lot of rain - I don't know yet how much we got, and it's not done yet. In the past hour though, the clouds have cleared up somewhat, and sunny blue sky is peeking through!

As far as building homes on susceptible slopes - yikes, I'm with y'all there. Every time I see homes built on stilts on hillsides in CA, I cringe. :shock:

Good for you :) Plus the earthquakes make the burned hills, bare of vegetation, unstable, so when the rains come, there's nothing to hold the loose earth in place. It turns to mud and away it goes. When people have to build catch basins above their homes to prevent them from being inundated by mud slides, I think they should be denied insurance and government help.

In years we haven't had drought and the fires, we have plenty of vegetation on the hills to deal with our normal 15" of rain a year. It has little to do with our very far and few between earthquakes. At least we don't have yearly "earthquake season" like "hurricane season". That leads me to agree that some folks should also be denied insurance and government help for those outer banks houses built as sitting ducks for hurricanes.

The book I mentioned describes how earthquakes are involved. And I agree 100% about people living on barrier islands, or even at Sandbridge Beach in Virginia Beach. They're ridiculously stubborn, imo, first to stay there and second, to get angry when their insurance rates go up.

I don't know how much this comes up in California, but the federal government is changing the rules and increasing the rates for FEMA flood insurance. Past time, imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom