What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL, guess what he was wearing when he came home!!!! GYM SHORTS!!! I just shake my head, the people at his school much think we are crazy...

It's a kid thing. I've seen it many times. Even when I was in school milleniums ago, my mom made me wear snow pants with my skirt, which wasn't cool to walk to school. So I removed them at the first opportunity out of her sight, and continued to school, chapped legs and all.

Our mailman showed up in shorts the other day to deliver a package. So it may not just be kids.

I think I've told this story before. Many years ago when SO was a single mom, she couldn't get her son to wear a coat to school in the winter. Didn't matter how cold it was or whether or not he liked the coat.

One day the school principal, guidance counselor and his teacher showed up at her front door with a new coat for her son. They had assumed she couldn't afford to buy him a coat. She thanked them and showed them all his coats in the closet explaining his refusal to wear a coat.

Postscript: As a young man, her son moved to warm sunny Florida. Now when he comes to visit (he's in his early 40s), he is constantly shivering and complaining about the cold.

Funny, I shivered just looking at him. I absolutely hate sitting in the car with a coat on, so I always take my coat off hang it in the back of the car and get in. Yesterday I drove with the coat on, because even though I hate a wrinkled jacket {and it wrinkles your pants sitting on it} I also hate being freezing cold, and it was too cold to go from the back car door to the front with no coat on...

Having worked with middle and high school students for many years, you wouldn't believe all the kids with no coats or long pants I've seen during the coldest times. Apparently it's some sort of fashion statement. Elementary students are more for comfort, and more willing to stay warm, not "fashionable". And will do what their parents tell them. At least most of the time.

Last edited:
Having worked with middle and high school students for many years, you wouldn't believe all the kids with no coats or long pants I've seen during the coldest times. Apparently it's some sort of fashion statement. Elementary students are more for comfort, and more willing to stay warm, not "fashionable". And will do what their parents tell them. At least most of the time.
Yes, when I taught in secondary schools (11-16 don't know what this is in the US) it was very much a macho thing. Ice, snow, whatever, the boys would come swaggering into school in shirtsleeves. Fortunately our cold isn't as cold as your cold but it made me shiver just to look at them. Once they got into sixth form (16-18) they seemed to have learned some sense - unless it was a kind of demarcation showing they were no longer stupid youngsters.

Yes, when I taught in secondary schools (11-16 don't know what this is in the US) it was very much a macho thing. Ice, snow, whatever, the boys would come swaggering into school in shirtsleeves. Fortunately our cold isn't as cold as your cold but it made me shiver just to look at them. Once they got into sixth form (16-18) they seemed to have learned some sense - unless it was a kind of demarcation showing they were no longer stupid youngsters.

:LOL: Apparently the macho teen thing isn't just in the States! Looking around college campuses, you see all the students bundled up like their mothers used to dress them!

Yup. Sounds like a plan, CG.

We're at a strangely warm 22°F right now, and no wind. Don't know what the kids and teachers will do Monday if school starts on time.

Last edited:
I unfriend you...:ROFLMAO:

Folks I have space on my wall now!

:LOL: Love that commercial!

Oh, wait, CG, she's unfriended us. Now what?

I dunno, Dawg. I say we start drinking and hatch a plan from there.

We're in the single digits again. I'm already tired of winter.

Okay, I put you back on my wall and I stole a coat from the doberman down the street, I'm off to the vet for shots.

32 degrees, warm enough to melt a little on top of the ice and make it really slippery.

Okay, I put you back on my wall and I stole a coat from the doberman down the street, I'm off to the vet for shots.

32 degrees, warm enough to melt a little on top of the ice and make it really slippery.

So if we see a poor coatless dobie shivering away, we'll know it was you, PF. I do have a few coats that Beagle refuses to wear if you're interested.

We had a sunny 17°F here along the river.

Last edited:
So if we see a poor coatless dobie shivering away, we'll know it was you, PF. I do have a few coats that Beagle refuses to wear if you're interested.

We had a sunny 17°F here along the river.

Only the purple or bright orange plaid ones. Thanks!

:LOL: You guys crack me up. :ROFLMAO:

We had an inch of rain here recently - today was sunny and warm, but it's still flooded around here. That's OK, though! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom