What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
At 5:45 a.m. it is 9ºF. right now. Some flakes flying around looking for a spot that is bare to fall on. Right now I have my heat running on high and I can't get the temp in my apartment above 69ºF. And for an elderly person that is on two blood thinners, that is cold. The furnace hasn't shut off for the past 30 minutes. Fortunately, I have a robe that is very thick and warm.

I have a very LARGE window in my small room. It is two stories high. And even though it is very thick, it is so cold. The cold air it creates has a wind to it. Stand two feet in front of it and you can feel the cold coming from the glass of that window. When the wind hits it and there is no getting that room warm at all. And it has it own heating system. I took a sheet and put it on a rod as high as I could get it. It does help some. But not enough.

This winter is brutal. I haven't seen this much snow since 1978 when we had the last blizzard. They had to call in the National Guard from N. Carolina with all the necessary heavy equipment to help us then. Nobody could get to ours. Most of our plows were stuck in the snow also. All our streets have become one way. I can't go out with my scooter. I have no way of knowing which corners have been shoveled out for handicap access. The Secretary of State of the United States, John Kerry has been fined $50 for not shoveling his sidewalk in front of his mansion. I think he can afford to pay the fine and for someone to shovel off his sidewalk.

Spike took Teddy Bear out for a walk yesterday and he made the mistake of stepping on some very deep soft snow. He went in head first and panicked trying to get back out. Spike had to carry him to an easy place for him to walk. But when he got to outside my building, he had a ball playing in the snow. He was covered with snow when he got to my apartment. Of course he just had to wait till he got in my apartment to shake it all off.

It's currently 38°F and cloudy here along the river, but we're supposed to get a big storm with lots of snow later, lasting through Sunday evening.

Snow! Snow! Snow! I am stuck in the house. And there is more coming. Temp presently is 19ºF. And the wind is blowing so hard my windows are rattling. Is it time for Spring yet? :angel:

Glad you're OK, Addie. :) I can't imagine what it must have been like on the east coast during the worst of this snowstorm. :ohmy:

Glad you're OK, Addie. :) I can't imagine what it must have been like on the east coast during the worst of this snowstorm. :ohmy:

Thank you. I am a hearty New Englander. You can't keep me down. Like those who live in the mountains or mid west, we don't let a couple of snow flakes keep us down. :angel:

Addie

We have about 8 inches of wet, very heavy snow, and it's still coming down. We lost DirecTV satellite last night, so I had DH up on the ladder this morning to clear the dish. It's working now, but we left the ladder up in case it needs to be done again. Lots of overloaded broken tree branches in the hood. The woods look like a winter wonderland.

Our weather is perfect to help folks drown in their sorrows if they are prone to depression. The day began grey and gloomy and appears that that's all we're going to get. Aside from that, it's been steadily raining since.....? Not sure when the rain began but it was earnestly raining when we got up.

The temp has risen about 10 degrees and is now above 50F. No risk of any wintry weather, in spite of what our weather forecasters predicted a few days ago. In fact, the highway department heavily treated all major roadways beginning Friday morning. Now, oh joy, all the chemicals have been washed off and are now making their way into our waterways. We have no pending dangerous icy/snowy weather predicted at all for even the next 5 days.

All I can say is that as each day passes, I know we're getting closer to more agreeable weather. Spring will be here soon. Yeah!!!!

Got up at 3 to do my workout, going to have a snowy busy day today... its 14 degrees and snowing, we are supposed to get up to another foot of snow ontop of the 30" that still hasnt really melted from last week..

Got up at 3 to do my workout, going to have a snowy busy day today... its 14 degrees and snowing, we are supposed to get up to another foot of snow ontop of the 30" that still hasnt really melted from last week..

I have a medical appointment this afternoon and I have cancelled it. I don't take the chance for a broken hip in this weather. I did have a bad night and could still use a couple of more hours of sleep. But I know that is not going to happen. It is so true when they say the barometric pressure can have a lot to do with illness or feeling well.

Yesterday The Pirate cleaned my house from top to bottom. I knew he was coming over to watch the game, but he came early in the day and started to clean right away. He even scrubbed the woodwork. He cleaned the top of everything, including the wall clock. The most exerting thing I have to do today is rest and relax. I hope I can get that done on my own. :angel:

21°F, light snow. Really wish winter would show up...my luck we'll get all our snow in March this year.

I have a medical appointment this afternoon and I have cancelled it. I don't take the chance for a broken hip in this weather. I did have a bad night and could still use a couple of more hours of sleep. But I know that is not going to happen. It is so true when they say the barometric pressure can have a lot to do with illness or feeling well.

Yesterday The Pirate cleaned my house from top to bottom. I knew he was coming over to watch the game, but he came early in the day and started to clean right away. He even scrubbed the woodwork. He cleaned the top of everything, including the wall clock. The most exerting thing I have to do today is rest and relax. I hope I can get that done on my own. :angel:

I agree when it snows or rains I can feel all the bones I have broken in my life, as well as the muscles I have detached here and there, its like old {unwanted} friends coming to visit...

I noticed the most important thing to combat getting sick in cold weather is your indoor air quality, a lot of new england homes have furnaces with dry uncomfortable heat, this plays havoc with our sinuses, allergies, immune systems, etc. Some times something as simple as boiling a big pan of water with a box fan blowing the steam around can help so much.

I installed a steam humidifier in my homes duct work and since it seems like we don't get winter colds as much as in years past, one of the best upgrades I ever did to my home...

Hope you feel better Addie...

I agree when it snows or rains I can feel all the bones I have broken in my life, as well as the muscles I have detached here and there, its like old {unwanted} friends coming to visit...

I noticed the most important thing to combat getting sick in cold weather is your indoor air quality, a lot of new england homes have furnaces with dry uncomfortable heat, this plays havoc with our sinuses, allergies, immune systems, etc. Some times something as simple as boiling a big pan of water with a box fan blowing the steam around can help so much.

I installed a steam humidifier in my homes duct work and since it seems like we don't get winter colds as much as in years past, one of the best upgrades I ever did to my home...

Hope you feel better Addie...

I have a large soup pan on the back burner. I do this at the beginning of every winter. I keep the burner on the lowest it can be set, and leave it on 24/7. It gets topped off every day. Moisture in the home certainly makes a big difference. My nostrils are not as dry as they would be if I didn't have the pot on. I did considered purchasing a portable humidifier, but there just isn't room for one in this tiny apartment. And since I only use the two front burners on the stove, I haven't lost anything or space by keeping the pot on the stove. I do notice that my breathing is so much easier with moisture in the air.

Because this building is so well insulated, I also crack a window just enough to let in fresh air and not the gusts we have been getting this week. We also have double pane windows. That too adds to the insulation. The only time that insulation serves me well is in the summer. By keeping the windows closed, it keeps the summer heat out. Once I get the apartment cooled down with the AC I shut it off and the apartment stays cool for a good ten hours or more. :angel:

21°F, light snow. Really wish winter would show up...my luck we'll get all our snow in March this year.
If Only, If Only...I could send you some of ours. You can have it! I'll look for a neighbor getting new appliances, get the boxes from them, and stuff them full of white stuff. Express ship it to you. Won't even charge you for the snow, but you pick up the shipping cost, OK?

We got another foot of white stuff. Go. Away. Already!!!

Attachments

• 2015-02-02 14.41.25.jpg
    2015-02-02 14.41.25.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 139
If Only, If Only...I could send you some of ours. You can have it! I'll look for a neighbor getting new appliances, get the boxes from them, and stuff them full of white stuff. Express ship it to you. Won't even charge you for the snow, but you pick up the shipping cost, OK?

We got another foot of white stuff. Go. Away. Already!!!

US too, we just got back from some more volunteer snow removal, I am sick of it. Some how teaching my kids to be "giving" and "help others" is killing my back and getting me some cold toes...

The snow just keeps coming down, down and down some more. And it is supposed to remain like this until around ten tonight. I looked out the window. That was a mistake. Very depressing. We are getting buried. :( :angel:

Addie, our snow out here in "the frontier" is so deep, you would need to strap one of those bicycle flags to you so we wouldn't loose you in the snow!

BikeFlag.jpg

I am not much taller than that child. It is really coming down hard now. It is supposed to go like this until 10 tonight. My son just ran to the store for me and had to climb through and over snow drifts. He kept sinking up to his crotch and above. Great drifts for making snow angels. :angel:

The snow plow has just been here for the third time today!

We have about a foot of snow on the level with drifts up to two feet. The side streets are still looking white and fresh. The main street is starting to get that "brown sugar" look to it. I think the storm is winding down for us just in time for the evening commute. I say storm, but it seems like a few years ago this would have just been a snowy day. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

The snow plow has just been here for the third time today!

We have about a foot of snow on the level with drifts up to two feet. The side streets are still looking white and fresh. The main street is starting to get that "brown sugar" look to it. I think the storm is winding down for us just in time for the evening commute. I say storm, but it seems like a few years ago this would have just been a snowy day. :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

What makes it a "storm" for me is the wind. It is blowing so hard. The gusts are 25-30 mph. My windows are tight fitting, but they are still rattling. :angel:

What makes it a "storm" for me is the wind. It is blowing so hard. The gusts are 25-30 mph. My windows are tight fitting, but they are still rattling. :angel:

What made it a storm for me years ago was commuting fifty miles round trip to work every day in an old hoopty that had a mind of its own! Now I have a decent vehicle that rarely leaves the garage, go figure! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom