What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bakechef and Roll_Bones are both in South Carolina. RB is inland near the mountains. I hope they and their families are okay. The flooding there has been awful.

CrazyCatLady and Cat are in Charlotte, NC, far inland in the mountains. Joaquin is well out to sea and will be weakening in the cold water of the North Atlantic, so it won't be a problem for them.

Last edited:
Cheryl, I'm so glad you're finally getting your much needed rain. If you find that you have too much, maybe you can send some Kayelle's way. ;)

...CrazyCatLady and Cat are in Charlotte, NC, far inland in the mountains...
I thought they were in Asheville. :huh: If so, they are even further up the mountains and, hopefully, even safer. But how are YOU guys? I hope you don't have flooding along the VA coast near you.

I've been thinking of bakechef's Mom. Didn't she move to Charleston? IIRC, bc said his Mom would be a couple hour drive from him and Rob. In any event, I hope she and her new home are both safe.

We had sun, but now the clouds are moving in. Looks like this week will be the last really nice one for doing outside work for a while. Unfortunately, clumsy Himself twisted his ankle while going down the steps to take out the garbage. I swear he'll do anything to get out of working around here! :ROFLMAO:

Cheryl, I'm so glad you're finally getting your much needed rain. If you find that you have too much, maybe you can send some Kayelle's way. ;)

I thought they were in Asheville. :huh: If so, they are even further up the mountains and, hopefully, even safer. But how are YOU guys? I hope you don't have flooding along the VA coast near you.

I've been thinking of bakechef's Mom. Didn't she move to Charleston? IIRC, bc said his Mom would be a couple hour drive from him and Rob. In any event, I hope she and her new home are both safe.

We had sun, but now the clouds are moving in. Looks like this week will be the last really nice one for doing outside work for a while. Unfortunately, clumsy Himself twisted his ankle while going down the steps to take out the garbage. I swear he'll do anything to get out of working around here! :ROFLMAO:

Whoops, you're right - it's Asheville. There can be flash flooding in the mountains, too, though. If they get too much rain too fast, the rivers can overflow. I haven't heard about anything like that in the NC mountains.

We're fine. It flooded all around us yesterday but our block has never flooded. A block over toward a creek, though, a neighbor posted a picture of ducks floating down the street lol

I don't remember where bakechef's mother moved to. Charleston was pretty messed up, though. I hope they're all okay.

Last edited:
I hope we hear from Bakechef soon about his mother - hoping all is OK.

The rain suddenly stopped here, clouds cleared, and the sun came out. Desert weather changes in a heartbeat. :LOL:

CG...I would have loved to send some rain to Kay! I know they've been hoping for it just as much. :)

Watching the 6:00 News/Weather in Boston.

Boston's precipitation for 2015-to-date (including the water content of all the snow that fell for our record breaking winter) = 26.8".

Rainfall total for the hardest hit areas of South Carolina during a 72-hour period = 26.9"

Sadly, the temperature is dropping here along the river. Fall may have arrived. It's 54° F, and it's supposed to get down into the 20's tonight. I dug up the frost-susceptable plants and brought them in.

We had a huge thunderstorm come in last night - woke me up at 3AM, and kept going until around 8AM. More is expected for the next couple of days. :)

Holy cow!!! Parts of southern California sure got pounded yesterday but we didn't get a drop of rain here on the coast. The emergency weather alert started blaring on the TV during Jeopardy, and I was shocked to hear of flash floods on the Grapevine highway east of us. This morning we saw the unbelievable pictures of what happened. What a mud mess!! I sure hope Cheryl is safe and sound.

Wow...the nearby passes sure got pounded but we're OK here so far. The rain is supposed to continue through the weekend, that's going to make clearing out the mud up on the highway that much worse. I feel horrible for those poor stranded motorists - that 5 foot wall of mud and water hit within a matter of seconds. People were standing on their cars waiting for help to arrive and many of them had to wait throughout the night. :( 40 miles of highway is closed.

Highway 58, maybe a half hour from here :ohmy:
floodhighway58.jpg

Interstate 5/Grapevine Canyon
floodwatersontheI5.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Dawg. I just read on the weather channel that flash flood warnings are in effect here in town until 8 this evening. Definitely staying safe here at home and not going anywhere. :)

My daughter and SIL are getting concerned, she has her yearly neurological check up in Santa Barbara Monday morning, so they have to leave on Sunday. Not sure if they'll be able to make it. :ermm:

Holy cow!!! Parts of southern California sure got pounded yesterday but we didn't get a drop of rain here on the coast. The emergency weather alert started blaring on the TV during Jeopardy, and I was shocked to hear of flash floods on the Grapevine highway east of us. This morning we saw the unbelievable pictures of what happened. What a mud mess!! I sure hope Cheryl is safe and sound.

Wow...the nearby passes sure got pounded but we're OK here so far. The rain is supposed to continue through the weekend, that's going to make clearing out the mud up on the highway that much worse. I feel horrible for those poor stranded motorists - that 5 foot wall of mud and water hit within a matter of seconds. People were standing on their cars waiting for help to arrive and many of them had to wait throughout the night. :( 40 miles of highway is closed.

Highway 58, maybe a half hour from here :ohmy:
View attachment 23658

Interstate 5/Grapevine Canyon
View attachment 23659

I'm confused. Can you clarify where this is happening? Kayelle mentioned Southern California, but I-5/Grapevine Canyon appears to be in the far north of Calif., near Mt. Shasta. My dad lives is in the Sierra Nevadas near Shaver Lake, so I'm curious where this is all happening.

(btw, I've never understood why the Bay Area is referred to Northern California when about a third of the state is north of there. Must be an old historical designation.)

Last edited:
We had some totally unexpected weather. It was sort of like hail, but not hard. The little, airy, frozen balls were about 1 cm (~.4 inches) in diameter. We were expecting rain. It only lasted about 15 minutes. Here's some pix:

10341433_10156162157695191_224507780026232503_n.jpg

12107989_10156162158605191_3454002509614285799_n.jpg

Pretty yard, Taxy! We hardly ever get hail here. I remember once a couple of years ago we had some in late spring, everyone on the street came out to look at it. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom