What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's 27F here and we had a bit of snow this morning. Not enough to stick or cause any problems. People here are as good with snow as southern Californians are with rain :LOL:

If it would stop raining we might be able to see what the weather's like :rolleyes:

Although I'm in the north west of England and despite the heavy rainfall, we are lucky not to have been affected by the horrendous floods that have struck Lancashire, Yorkshire and Cumbria. Some of those places have been really badly hit, some repeatedly.

I have been watching your flooding news closely. We have had a nasty edition of flooding in the Midwest here along the Mississippi River. Some pictures have shown where just a small peak of a two story home is showing. Has the Lakes District been hit again?

I woke up to 3ºF weather this morning. Right now it is up to 23ºF. I am still not going out. The wind is going at a good clip. And when I am on my scooter, riding right into the wind, it feels twice as cold. :angel:

I don't think I've ever seen it rain as hard as it did this morning, complete with thunder, lightening and knocked out internet. We measured 2.6 inches just this morning. So far, in just two days we've had 4.2.
How are you doing over there Cheryl?

I don't think I've ever seen it rain as hard as it did this morning, complete with thunder, lightening and knocked out internet. We measured 2.6 inches just this morning. So far, in just two days we've had 4.2.
How are you doing over there Cheryl?

Holy buckets of rain and upside down rain! :shock: Haven't seen it come down like it is now in a long time. Thundering here, too. I'm kind of nervous about picking Tyler up from school, even though it's only 1/2 mile and a neighborhood school. Thank goodness I don't have to drive out in town to get him. :ohmy: Our cell phone service for the whole valley has been out all day and still isn't working, not sure if it's rain related but probably is.

It just quit raining, the sun came out, and the birds are back at the bird feeder. I feel better about going out to get Tyler now. :)

It rained like crazy, then it quit and the sun came out. Then is clouded up and rained like crazy again. It's stopped now, but still threatening.

This is the best rain gauge I've ever seen. You can see it from our front door without getting wet. This was taken at 4.40pm today and there's more to come. Just in case anyone wonders why we're so excited, in two days we now have 80% of the total rainfall we had in 2015.

img_1450022_0_79925081eaebd61af2c8fbb0269d7f51.jpg

Last edited:
This is the best rain gauge I've ever seen. You can see it from our front door without getting wet. This was taken at 4.40pm today and there's more to come. Just in case anyone wonders why we're so excited, in two days we now have 80% of the total rainfall we had in 2015.

K, no flooding or slides near you then? I really should call my mother!

There was a slide on the coast highway north of here were we had the recent fire at Solimar beach. One of my sons was delayed there yesterday traveling back from Santa Barbara on business.

img_1450096_0_79925081eaebd61af2c8fbb0269d7f51.jpg

Woo Hoo, it was up to four inches when we got up this bright freshly washed morning. :cool::clap:

Nice rain gauge, K!

The problem with these rainstorms is that we get too much rain in such a short period of time. At least I'm able to collect buckets and trash cans full from all the roof run-off the rain gutters can't handle.

Nice rain gauge, K!

The problem with these rainstorms is that we get too much rain in such a short period of time. At least I'm able to collect buckets and trash cans full from all the roof run-off the rain gutters can't handle.

Can you guys have rain barrels out there? We have two in the yard, one by the house and one by the shed.

The CA reservoirs are looking better. Still need much more, though.
Selected Reservoir Current Conditions Graphs

002.jpg

IT'S SNOWING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DESERT!!!
It's been coming down pretty good for about an hour
and we've got at least an inch.
We had been out, on the other side of town, an hour's drive and I
did something that I've never done before,
I DROVE IN SNOW!!!

I know that doesn't sound like much to you folks, but for this little Island gal, WOW! The doctor's nurse today asked us if we had ever seen waterfalls and gone snorkeling, yeah, but I've never seen snow prior to living here. As DH and I were on our way home, we were talking about how sad that she had never seen the things that we have and it started to snow. That was awesome!

View attachment 24124

I DROVE IN SNOW!!!

I know that doesn't sound like much to you folks, but for this little Island gal, WOW! The doctor's nurse today asked us if we had ever seen waterfalls and gone snorkeling, yeah, but I've never seen snow prior to living here. As DH and I were on our way home, we were talking about how sad that she had never seen the things that we have and it started to snow. That was awesome!
How did you like driving on snow? I'm impressed. I know how hard it is for someone when they are first experiencing snow and you don't even have snow tires.

How did you like driving on snow? I'm impressed. I know how hard it is for someone when they are first experiencing snow and you don't even have snow tires.

I was scared, but I just took my time and I made sure that DH didn't think that I was nervous, he was feeling well. And Nope, no snow tires, no four wheel drive, and it had been raining heavily for hours prior to the snow, so it was flooding in many place along the way. In the desert, they don't have any water run off, they just let it make it's own way out into the desert, scary in some places, they call them washes, going across most major roadways, impassable really, we did have to turn around at one point and take a different route (which I TOLD DH we shouldn't have gone that way!! :mad: but we made it in one piece and since the snow was coming down pretty hard once we got home, I immediately went out back to play in it!

I was scared, but I just took my time and I made sure that DH didn't think that I was nervous, he was feeling well. And Nope, no snow tires, no four wheel drive, and it had been raining heavily for hours prior to the snow, so it was flooding in many place along the way. In the desert, they don't have any water run off, they just let it make it's own way out into the desert, scary in some places, they call them washes, going across most major roadways, impassable really, we did have to turn around at one point and take a different route (which I TOLD DH we shouldn't have gone that way!! :mad: but we made it in one piece and since the snow was coming down pretty hard once we got home, I immediately went out back to play in it!
Yup, taking it easy is one of the best ways to handle snow. Don't try to brake hard, don't try to turn hard. Start braking, gently, well before you want to stop. I don't know if they teach this in the US, but it's how they teach handling a skid in Canada. Steer gently in the direction you want to go. Keep your foot off the brake and if necessary to accelerate, do so gently. Forget any nonsense about steering in the direction of the skid. Remember that your car will follow your eyes, so don't keep staring at anything you don't want to hit.

Wow Kgirl. You're one up on me, as I've lived here all my life and have never driven in snow. Good job!! We get snow in our mountains, but my Minnesota parents never took me to play in it. They had enough snow to last a lifetime I guess. My North Dakota transplanted husband also felt the same when our sons were growing up, so no snow play for them either.

View attachment 24124

I DROVE IN SNOW!!!

What a pretty pic, kgirl! Isn't it fun to have unexpected snow? :w00t: Yes, be careful driving - even if you're super careful, you can't count on others to be the same.

Every few years we get a good snowfall here in the middle of my desert area. This was from my front door in Jan 2011. The whole town shut down for a couple of days. :LOL: I wouldn't be at all surprised if El Nino pounds us (at least for here) with a good snowfall this winter. :)

Attachments

• snow of 2011.jpg
    snow of 2011.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom