What is your weather like right now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so grateful I don't have to pay for my electricity. I have the AC on Med to Low and that is mostly for Teddy. I also have the window open a small bit. I got up in the middle of the night and had to shut the AC off. And today I am wearing my short spring jacket around in the house. The temp is in the high 80's. But it is not muggy out, so I am comfortable with it.

Poor Spike. He comes in from working and his T shirt is soaking wet. No matter what the temp is. The first thing he does is turn on my AC. I just bundle up more.

Hotter 'en the hinges of hell here. Has been for most of the week. Low 100s with the promise to be at least 105F tomorrow. When I was in the pool yesterday, the water thermometer registered 92F. Bath water. I may siphon some water off today and add some fresh, cooler water. Notice I didn't say "cold" water.

I almost had to wear my mask and snorkel to go outside yesterday and today. So hot and humid it was like breathing water here along the river.

Dawg, that's how I felt when I walked into the sun room a couple days ago! :LOL: When rain isn't expected, we leave the sun room windows open and close the slider door to the house. I thought someone had added a walk-in pool to the back of the house when I crossed the threshold! At least the humidity backed off a little bit today. A dry 90 degrees isn't quite as bad as a wet 90 degrees. :LOL:

It's hot enough that I don't care what kind of ridiculously high electric bill I get next month. We need to make sure the house is decently cool and dry enough to prevent my bitchmeter from going off. I figure comfort is a trade-off for the fact we rarely go out to eat, so I can spend my money elsewhere. Not on running the oven in this heat, though. :D

Dawg, that's how I felt when I walked into the sun room a couple days ago! :LOL: When rain isn't expected, we leave the sun room windows open and close the slider door to the house. I thought someone had added a walk-in pool to the back of the house when I crossed the threshold! At least the humidity backed off a little bit today. A dry 90 degrees isn't quite as bad as a wet 90 degrees. :LOL:

It's hot enough that I don't care what kind of ridiculously high electric bill I get next month. We need to make sure the house is decently cool and dry enough to prevent my bitchmeter from going off. I figure comfort is a trade-off for the fact we rarely go out to eat, so I can spend my money elsewhere. Not on running the oven in this heat, though. :D

CG....you just described my situation here, and worded it far better than I could have! :LOL: When the temp hits the usual 110 plus in the summer, I don't care what the monthly electric bill is. I'll be durned if I'm going to be hot and miserable in my own home. I rarely travel, no mortgage, family is close, I'm a homebody, entertainment expenses are minimal....so if one of my biggest monthly expenses a couple of months out of the year is the electric bill, so be it. :)

Last edited:
I don't get anywhere near the heat you get Cheryl, but when our AC took a dump a few days ago and we had to call someone I was having a consistent anxiety attack!!

Instead of the condensation running outside the house, it was puddling inside the house, caused by a clogged drain pipe to the outdoors. The AC guy said we'd have to let it dry out in the house for "a couple of days" and he'd be back then to put the AC back together. That's when I told the SC he better make reservations at a nice beach air conditioned hotel because I was NOT staying here. Guess what? It was fixed the next morning by the SC. All's well that ends well, but there is no way in the world I'm living without AC ever again, and like others, I don't give a flip what it costs.

Last edited:
Kayelle, our condenser is just the other side of the kitchen wall from my chair. I've actually learned what the sound is when it's time to call our guy to come and check the Freon pressure. I've polished that skill in the time since the pressure dropped so low the condensation was dripping off the inside lines in the basement and freezing around the line and fittings outside. One good breakdown, and you learn how to troubleshoot real quick! :LOL:

Ha...I just thought it was hot yesterday.

Today it could only be classified as oppressive. When I went out to hang the linens on the line, I had trouble breathing. I don't have any normal breathing issues so this gave me some insight into how those who do could feel. I will go outside today only if it is ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!

Mom and I went out about 9am and it felt horrid. When we came out of Walmart about 10:30 it was oppressive. It is now 92 outside with a feel-like of 103. We stopped at McDonalds and got her brunch and me lunch, because I am NOT cooking today. We may just have sliced veggies and peanut-butter crackers for supper tonight. I made a mistake and cooked supper last night and it got the house so hot it took until 3am for the A/C to get the house cooled.

Whew! Another mask and snorkel day here along the river. A few t- storms last night and early this a.m. Glad I got up early and boiled some eggs while it was cooler. Real temp here will be 96° F, with a heat and humidity index within the obscenity range.

Last edited:
We're under a heat advisory until 8 pm tonight. The humidity is not very high, thankfully, but it's really hot.
2017-07-21-13-49-32.jpg

:ohmy: Kay, sure glad the Sous was able to fix it. I probably would have gone to a hotel too, if my cooling system went out. :LOL:

We're actually getting a bit of a reprieve here in the desert. It's mid afternoon here now and only 103F. That's sure a heckuva lot better than 115...but August is the hottest month so we'll see what that brings. Tyler and I are headed to the backyard to play baseball. :)

It was 98ºF this afternoon. I have Teddy here again while Spike is working. Of course Teddy let me know he needed to go out when the thermometer was at it highest. I took him outside to the big lawn and let him have his fun in the shade. If he thought I was going to stand in the sun, he was sadly mistaken.

Right now it is 89ºF. I had the AC on, but had to shut it off. It fills this whole apartment with cold air. And I had it on low. I hate when one of my kids put it on high. The sound of the motor drowns out all sound.

...I am NOT cooking today...I made a mistake and cooked supper last night and it got the house so hot it took until 3am for the A/C to get the house cooled.
I'm guessing that you have a window unit and not central air, cj? I know GG suggested using a toaster oven to make small, cooked meals. Our first house had no central A/C nor window units. On the hottest of days I would take my toaster oven down to the basement and fix a meat that would be put to use for days worth of meals - something like a big meatloaf, or small, boneless ham, etc. My Mom had an enclosed back porch right off her kitchen, and she kept a table with a toaster oven out there all summer long!

98, Addie? Really? That's higher than any of the official temperatures I saw on any of the local TV weather segments, which was around 91. Aw, what difference does it make? 91, 98...they're both hellishly hot. Meanwhile, I watched six different weather reports today. I saw all four Boston stations, plus two from Providence, hoping to fine one that I really liked so I could hope for that to be true. Never did see one that said "mid-70s and low humidity". :(

We've been hiding in the house again today. Thermostat is at 78, our usual daytime temp. With my new ceiling fan in the kitchen, installed efficiently and lovingly by Himself, I can work at the sink or stove and not even be bothered by the heat - just as long as I don't turn the oven on - which I won't! :LOL:

...I'm almost embarrassed to be living with cool bay breezes on a daily basis...
There is nothing to be embarrassed by, JC. You must pay dearly for that location, both in money and in size given up to live there. You've worked all your life to enjoy what you have, so never be embarrassed.

I truly feel for those having heat related weather problems.. I'm almost embarrassed to be living with cool bay breezes on a daily basis...

I just shot a whole lot of cars going to an auction in Pacific Grove during car week. Alas, it looks like I won't be there this year.

Classic Car Auction | Worldwide Auctioneers

Oh, the weather here was 98 degrees with a heat index of 105. That's about normal for here in late July.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom