"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 11-26-2006, 08:43 PM   #1
Master Chef

What kind of bedspread is this?

This is going to sound strange to some, but, the bedspreads of old were heavy and really warm, but thin. They were not comforters or normal spreads. They had like looped material with patterns. Anyone know what they are called? I want one and can't find them anywhere. If I knew what they were made of or if they have a name, I might be able to.

Old 11-26-2006, 08:59 PM   #2
Head Chef

Are you talking about what I call a Martha Washington Bedspread? Usually white? Here is a link: http://www.pcfallon.com/Bedspreads.asp

I have one for my twin bed in the den I found at an estate sale.

Hope this helps!

Old 11-26-2006, 09:01 PM   #3
Executive Chef

They are called Chenille, I believe.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I agree, it sounds like chenille, but all the chenille bedspreads I have had were not heavy. They were lightweight but very soft and warm.

How funny--I just looked it up and it said that the word chenille comes from French and means "hairy caterpillar" and from Latin and means "little dog."

Barbara
Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
This is going to sound strange to some, but, the bedspreads of old were heavy and really warm, but thin. They were not comforters or normal spreads. They had like looped material with patterns. Anyone know what they are called? I want one and can't find them anywhere. If I knew what they were made of or if they have a name, I might be able to.
I read this and this of an Afghan (spelling?).

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 10:22 PM   #6
Head Chef

Yup, sounds like what Jan and Barbara are saying. My Grandmother always had those too and some could be a bit heay; depending on how much was worked in the design. I haven't seen those around for quite some time. Sure brings back memories of snuggling down at my grandparents when I was a kid though.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
Senior Cook

I love chenille bedspreads and always had one as a child. Infact, I still have an old one -- must be at least 50 years old!! Anyway, I think I saw one or two in the JC Penney catalog. You might want to check at stores like Linens and Things, Macy's, Bed, Bath, and Beyond, etc. You may even be able to find chenille by the yard at a fabric store and make or have someone make you a spread. Also, check the internet. Good Luck -- Hope you find one.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:05 PM   #8
Master Chef

Love Chenille Bedspreads....I have a few myself........their collectible pieces too. If you happen to find any tattered you can always convert those to pillow shams or pillow to go with your bedspread. You can ususally find them at rummage and garage sales for under $5.00 but they are also on Ebay.

Forgot......if anyone has one that was passed down in the family and its not in the best of condition.......check with a fabric store or specialty fabric store and see if they know of anyone that makes teddy bears.....if so have it converted to a bear you can treasure and keep out for viewing.
Old 11-27-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindatooo
Are you talking about what I call a Martha Washington Bedspread? Usually white? Here is a link: http://www.pcfallon.com/Bedspreads.asp

I have one for my twin bed in the den I found at an estate sale.

Hope this helps!
That's what I envisioned too, lindatooo. I have such a bedspread and love it. But it is not what I think of as chenille. Seems that nowadays, all you can find are comforters. It's very difficult to find any kind of real bedspread anymore.

Here's another link, to a site called Country Curtains. If you click on bedding, you will find a bedspread called Martha's Choice.
Old 11-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Head Chef

I have a lovely bedspread and it is quilted. I hope that helps.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote