"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 03-17-2006, 04:50 PM   #1
Master Chef
What kind of restaurant would you open if you could?

explain what you'd want it to be.....
it's an open question.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 05:08 PM   #2
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to -DEADLY SUSHI-
A indoor tropical haven. And a fusion between smoked BBQ and sushi. Good question and good to see ya Luvs!!!

-DEADLY SUSHI- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:41 PM   #3
Head Chef
Actually in our town there is a place for a traditional American style, southern Italian, inexpensive, restaurant.

Spaghetti, carbonara, lasagna, ravioli, fresh and baked, veal or eggplant Parmesan, that kind of simple stuff.

Good salads, maybe some pizza, a good Italian bread, and some neat desserts.

It would go over big.

And could be a real money maker, our town is growing like crazy.
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Master Chef
I'd have an eclectic little hole in the wall on our town square, across from the courthouse. After the shopping center was built, most of the stores that once circled the courthouse have become either antique malls or lawyer's offices.

I'd have a few tables in the back, where people could sit to eat, drink coffee, cuss and discuss. I'd also have a lunch counter, blue plate specials that are really special, carry out and catering service.

I had a chance to do this years ago, but my ex-husband said, "You'll be working every week-end and holiday...you have a family to think about."
I agreed, and opened a greenhouse instead. Then, I NEVER had a day off.
We get by with a little help from our friends
Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Executive Chef
I would do a kick butt breakfasts not just ordinary fare,plus lunch with a really great bakery and sell homemade frozen entrees for two to four people servings,small 6 inch cheese cakes, strudels sweet and savory,soups,quiches you name it plus a bit of catering, wedding cakes and specialty cakes on the side.I would love a place where we get up real early but close around 3PM in the afternoon. Something along what the famous Silver Spoon did or still does in New York.
I think this would do really well in a ski/tourist town.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi luvs!

I would want to have a place that was open yet quaint. If the ceiling was really high (like in old factories, etc.) I'd paint it black and have fabric draped - either in gauze or in different soothing colors. Staff would have traditional waiter/waitress dress - white shirt, black pants, long black apron.

Food would be rather eclectic - Thai curry mussels (maybe several different....

oops, husband is ready to go - I'll finish this tomorrow.

OK - back to finish - I guess what I'm getting at is something very eclectic. If you have mussels for example there can be several ways to serve them. There would also be something "blue plate" like a really good veal/pork/beef meatloaf with portabella mushroom gravy to dress it up - oldies but brought up-to-date. There would be a little bit of everything for everyone. I would take advantage of seasonal ingredients. I would probably have to move to find a really good fresh farmer's market and a butcher/fish monger - we don't have anything like that around here.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Executive Chef
It would be a small (perhaps 20-25 tbl) restaurant in a beachside community, something like Carmel, Santa Barbara, or Morro Bay. Ideally near the beach but still close to a wine region. The dining room would be contemporarily designed, along the same lines as Kenneth Brown-type stuff. The kitchen would feature all new state of the art SS equipment. I would feature smalller, weekly changing menus which would take advantage of the freshest produce, meat, and seafoods available. The menu would be offered with both ala carte and with 2-3 prix fixe menus per week. I'd do all kinds of funky stuff that I can't get away with at work like Freshly Shucked Kumamoto Oysters with Gold Osetra Caviar, Horseradish-Lavender Foam, and a Cucumber-Yuzu Mignonette.
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:45 PM   #8
Head Chef
Drive-in restaurant. Carhops on roller skates. If you drove a '60s or earlier car in you get '60s prices on your food. Been planning that for 20 years.
It's good for the soul when there's not a soul in sight.

Trader Scott's Tiki Bar & Lounge
phinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:56 PM   #9
Senior Cook
It would be an "earthship" building (it is a really cool sustainable building - kinda like the home that Luke Skywalker grew up in as a child) and I would make it a wonderful experience with various garden "walks" . The food, of course, would be awesome with the main focus being on local and organic. The decor and atmospere would be eklectic (sp?).
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra!
Cyberchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 PM   #10
Sous Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Personally...I would end up with a diner/bar(where the locals can still be locals)...I'm just considering what is needed in my area...a resort town that basically rolls up when the snow flies.

Erik is offline   Reply With Quote