"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 09-09-2007, 10:15 AM   #11
Executive Chef
my love of food, love of cooking, love of baking, love of experimenting, and all that food sitting around the house.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead
bethzaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Head Chef
Unhappy Do I ever hear that!

Originally Posted by black chef View Post
i work as an engineering manager, and my boss is a big time "you know what."

by the time i get home EVERY SINGLE DAY, i'm stressed & tired.

cooking is what relaxes me... and takes my mind COMPLETELY away from work.
How do I know the feeling! Some people are jerks by nature, hard to figure. Glad you have the cooking outlet - I decided about two years ago to learn to cook - like from bottom up. I go at it in spurts, like a theme kind of thing where I go off to some part of the world in my kitchen and learn something about the food there, and the history and culture of the country. Right now it's Ukraine - great food, awsome history, and beautiful people with a bunch of problems. Won't you join me for some borsch?

Oh yes, once upon a time in a place I would just as soon forget I worked as an engineering manager. The boss literally thought that engineers were a dime a dozen. Of course he couldn't recognize one if his life depended on it. Turns out his company did depend on advancing their technology but he realized it a bit too late. I almost put a smiley face there but alot of good people got hurt in he fall. D

David Cottrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #13
Executive Chef
I all depends if I see some fresh vegetable that looks great I buy it and then decide what to make,cooking for friends motivates me,trying a new recipe and lets not forget besides hunger I will get a craving for some thing and I hafto make it.When the weather starts getting cold I really like to cook and bake soup,stews and bake breads,coffee cakes any thing associated with cold weather as the cold weather gives me a ton of energy as opposed to hot weather.I adore making french onion soup in the winter I dont know why but I make it alot.Maybe its from working in a ski area for 11 years where we made a huge pot of FO soup everyday.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
Feeding my family healthy, good tasting food or preparing special treats for them.
mercyteapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
Cooking, bread baking I love them..It's the thrill of watching my kids and dh eat with gusto,smiling,laughing, teasing me and each other. It drives me to have a sunday meal each week..Often during the week as well.But watching the grandkids, fall on a piece of grilled corn, chew on a chicken leg, go emmm on homemade ravioli and gravy,or Cade giving me a thumbs up for something I made just for the kids, that is the pleasure of it all.One of the very best things for me was having my DH and his twin brothers sit down to a meal that their mom use to make for their birthdays every year,,Watching them take a bite of this and of that the looks on each of their faces and then the, look at each other and hear them say, Ma, this is just like mom use to make for us..Thank you..even if you hate cooking that pat on the back is worth all the work and gives you something to goad you on to bigger and better meals.Meals with love..
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I'm a very detail-oriented person and Buck says the most organized person he knows. As a result I love the detail and, sometimes, precision of cooking. I enjoy the mincing and chopping and appreciate mise en place almost as art.

It's exciting to me to enter the kitchen with a specific cooking task in mind and can't wait to hear the sizzle and bubble and smell the wonderful aromas that soon follow. Baking bread is nothing short of perfume of the gods. I love it and can't wait for the weather to be more agreeable so I can make bread more often.

As others have already mentioned, cooking is an outlet that allows me to escape from the stresses of the everyday world. Much better than popping a tranquilizer.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:34 PM   #17
The Dude Abides
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
The desire to create. Hunger. Knowing that I am about to make someone happy. Trying new things. Lets me clear my head.
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 05:30 PM   #18
Executive Chef
Like Tattrat said, it helps to clear my mind. I typically either watch tv or listen to music while cooking. I find cooking to be very relaxing.
amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:22 PM   #19
Executive Chef
It is therapy for me after working all day (as it was for mom), It is a way to connect with my past (mom dad, grandmom) or other places and cultures through ethnic recipes. It is creative for me, as well as spiritual, using the bounty of this earth in a good and proper way.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM   #20
Executive Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
My motivation is getting compliments from my family when they taste my meals.

If you have much, give of your wealth. If you have little, give of your heart. - Arab proverb
Dina is offline   Reply With Quote