"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Head Chef

What movie are you excited about?

Are there any movies you are waiting for to come out? How about a movie that you could watch a hundred times and not get tired of?

For me, there are two movies I can't wait for. The second movie for Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is coming out in a week. I read the books avidly as a child and again as an adult. I absolutely LOVE these movies and books, they are classics. CS Lewis was a genius!

Another movie I can't wait for is the next Harry Potter film. I can watch those movies over, over, and over and love them every time. I am even rereading the books!

I also love the Lord of the Rings movies, extended. Sometimes I watch all 3 in one day, takes me over 9 hours! I go about my business and keep my eye on the TV lol. Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien was also a Linguist, and that he actually created the Elfish language in the movie?

So tell me, what are YOUR favorite movies!!!

IM A GEEK!! Sue me :p

Old 05-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #2
Sous Chef

None on both accounts. Can't remember the last time I was in a theater. Wife and I think it was a Star Trek flick.

I have to admit Speed Racer has me curious. I watched the cartoon when I was a kid. Never could figure out how they got all the doo dads in that car.

What are the movie house prices these days?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM   #3
Chief Eating Officer

I am with you on both of those Saphellae. I came in this thread to post Price Caspian. I loved those books as a kid. I thought the first movie was OK, but this one looks amazing!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Everymom

Me too on the Prince Caspian thing. I just rewatched Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe this week to get ready. I'm also excited about the new Indiana Jones. I love those movies and I think Shia La(whatever, can't spell it so i won't!) is an inspired choice for his son. My kids are both excited too. Can't wait can't wait!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #5
Chief Eating Officer

I just re-watched The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe too

I am nervous that Indiana Jones will be too much like current movies these days that rely to heavily on special effects and cookie cutter story lines and explosions. I loved the earlier Indy movies. I just hope this one lives up to those.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #6
Cook

Im not a big fan of movies this time of year. I rather be outside, thats just me though!
Old 05-07-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
Everymom

Have faith GB. Spielberg didn't get to be a mogul by disregarding the importance of characterization and plot. Indy is an icon and it will be good.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:56 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

The reason I am nervous Alix is that I saw a preview in the theater last time we went to the movies. It was a pretty long preview and it looked too polished and too much like every other Hollywood adventure movie out now. I do hope I am wrong, but it just seemed too formulaic. Explosions for the sake of explosion and chases for the sake of chases.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #9
Everymom

OK, haven't seen the trailer. BUT...rewatch the first Indiana Jones, there are a ton of that kind of effects there too. (I remember sneaking into that movie at least 4 times, I was too young to get in legally. heeheehee) Hopefully you won't be disappointed. I am one of those people who try not to get my hopes up in case they are dashed, but for this, I admit I'm all goofy with excitement.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Chief Eating Officer

Oh I know the originals have those effects. They are not there for the sake of the effects themselves though. They are there because that is what the story demands. If that is true of this film too then it will be great. If they are forced in though, that is where it will fail to live up to the others.