What music are you listening to?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How about this rendition??"Hillbilly Jean" - The Giving Tree Band and friends

That's more my speed. They don't take so much "artistic" liberty.
And you can't have Billie Jean without a violin. That would be like Careless Whisper with the sax ;)

I love their music. They're leaving SA for good, going to the US :(
Bummer!
That happens often. Success in the US market still seems to be the ultimate goal for many bands. Some do very well here. Others end up going back home disappointed.

I worked full-time as a professional musician for 15 years back in the late 1970s until the early 90s, playing mostly pop and dance music. While I've been out of it for almost 20 years now, I still have a pretty good idea of what sells and what doesn't (I've even turned my 20 year old onto some newer bands). This band, the Parlotones, definitely has the look and sound of a band that I think would do well in the states. They remind me a little of Muse.

That happens often. Success in the US market still seems to be the ultimate goal for many bands. Some do very well here. Others end up going back home disappointed.

I worked full-time as a professional musician for 15 years back in the late 1970s until the early 90s, playing mostly pop and dance music. While I've been out of it for almost 20 years now, I still have a pretty good idea of what sells and what doesn't (I've even turned my 20 year old onto some newer bands). This band, the Parlotones, definitely has the look and sound of a band that I think would do well in the states. They remind me a little of Muse.

Didn't know you were a musician, very cool! Do you have any recorded tracks?

I think the Parlotones will do well :) I've got a pretty good ear (must be the lack of eye sight :LOL:)

Didn't know you were a musician, very cool! Do you have any recorded tracks?
Oh, nothing really to speak of - or rather nothing you would've ever heard of. My one "claim to fame" was touring for a month with a band called Wild Cherry ("Play That Funky Music White Boy") after their keyboard player's wife had a baby. That was around 1980 or 81. Mostly our band just played the club circuit and occasionally opened for name acts (we once opened for the Beach Boys and were also the very first band to ever play at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 1993). I haven't scanned in a lot of photos from that time in my life, but below is one someone sent to me a few months ago. Sorry for the fuzzy focus.

img_1242204_0_6601ff4579d0c1d45cb568d37367adc6.jpg

Last edited:
Oh, nothing really to speak of - or rather nothing you would've ever heard of. My one "claim to fame" was touring for a few months with a band called Wild Cherry ("Play That Funky Music White Boy") after their keyboard player's wife had a baby. That was around 1980 or 81. Mostly our band just played the club circuit and occasionally opened for name acts (we once opened for the Beach Boys and were also the very first band to ever play at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 1993). I haven't scanned in a lot of photos from that time in my life, but below is one someone sent to me a few months ago. Sorry for the fuzzy focus.

img_1242208_0_6601ff4579d0c1d45cb568d37367adc6.jpg

so cool, steve--you have that alluring soho look of the bohemian artist....:cool:
'play that funky music....' was a song that was on everybody's lips and hips in the clubs and parties across america, steve--big bragging rights for you for being part of That!! i always wondered what was the story behind the band's name. i have a strong suspicion that you were in a position to know. how about it, steve, do tell!:)

And folks wonder why girls follow bands around...although I tend toward guitar players. Looking mighty hunky there, Steve!

Oh, nothing really to speak of - or rather nothing you would've ever heard of. My one "claim to fame" was touring for a month with a band called Wild Cherry ("Play That Funky Music White Boy") after their keyboard player's wife had a baby. That was around 1980 or 81. Mostly our band just played the club circuit and occasionally opened for name acts (we once opened for the Beach Boys and were also the very first band to ever play at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 1993). I haven't scanned in a lot of photos from that time in my life, but below is one someone sent to me a few months ago. Sorry for the fuzzy focus.

img_1242252_0_6601ff4579d0c1d45cb568d37367adc6.jpg

Great photo Steve :)

so cool, steve--you have that alluring soho look of the bohemian artist....:cool:
'play that funky music....' was a song that was on everybody's lips and hips in the clubs and parties across america, steve--big bragging rights for you for being part of That!! i always wondered what was the story behind the band's name. i have a strong suspicion that you were in a position to know. how about it, steve, do tell!:)
Well... I was only with them for a month as a fill-in. At that time I was between bands and their glory days were already behind them. It was definitely fun, though. I had some sort of idea that it might lead to bigger and better things, but it didn't. :)

As for the name of the band, from what I understand Rob Parissi took the name from a box of Ludens Wild Cherry Cough Drops. Not the sexiest of stories but the most accurate. :LOL:

Last edited:

img_1242380_0_6601ff4579d0c1d45cb568d37367adc6.jpg

And we thought you were just the wine guy ;) Cool pic Steve, bet you had a few groupies :cool:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom