What new thing have you learned of late?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I learned sometime ago that things we adults treat lightly because we're already de-sensitized and jaded with experience, can affect kids so differently and with so much more intensity.

This was when my niece was 5 years old and I was explaining to her the story of the cheerful song 'Puff the Magic Dragon'. I finished the part about the boy growing up and forgetting about the dragon and how the dragon became forlorn and its scales soon fell one by one. I was going on and on until I noticed her head was bent and she was hiding her face from me. I soon saw that tears had been steadily running down her cheeks! To this day (she's fourteen now) that song makes her so sad and she refuses to listen to it. Basically I ruined that song for her for good.

I learned not to underestimate the emotional impact of events on children.

Chopstix said:
I learned sometime ago that things we adults treat lightly because we're already de-sensitized and jaded with experience, can affect kids so differently and with so much more intensity.

Yes we have to be very careful with children. We are their role models.

Chopstix said:
You're never too old to learn something new!

I learned a new word yesterday --

I learned one last week.

Panglossian. It means blindly or naively optimistic.

I learned today that when my 9 yr old son says he can put the belt that makes the blade turn on the riding mower back on to believe him! It came off as he was cutting grass & he hopped down (after the mower was cut off of course) & put it right back on!

cloudybutnice said:
I learned one last week.

Panglossian. It means blindly or naively optimistic.

Inspired by a character in the French novel Candide. No matter what happened to him, Pangloss was always talking about the "best of all possible worlds." Not necessarily a bad way to navigate through life.

I learn stuff here every day. having laughed till I couldn't speak or move the mouse I read through old threads till I found that a Boston Butt is a pork shoulder. I also learned that knowing it still hasn't rubbed all the amusment off the term.

I leart a while a go that busking was not going to pay my mortgage: but I also know a girl who gets her whole income from busking.

I learned how to make lemon curd--4 jars of it are in the pantry. I used the whites of the eggs to make meringue shells--one spoonful of lemon curd in the middle, looks like fried eggs--I think the kids will like them.

(I also learned that lemon curd tastes way too good, and that I shouldn't make too much of it.)

I just learned another meaning of tailgating! And it involves car trunks, picnic food, a parking lot, some major concert or sporting event, and lots of people having fun. And all the cars are parked, so no rear-ending anyone!

Chopstix

I like the quote at the bottom of your posts.

'It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Lee

I learned that developing one's own black-and-white film is really not that hard. (I'm taking a photography class in school.) :)

QSis said:
Chopstix

I like the quote at the bottom of your posts.

'It is the time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Lee

Thanks Lee! Glad you like it. It's from a treasure of a little book called 'The Little Prince'. It's written and illustrated almost for children, yet packed with little nuggets of wisdom about life.

Another beautiful quote from the book is:

'One sees clearly only with the heart. What is essential is invisible to the eyes.'

Back
Top Bottom