"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #1
Head Chef

What new thing have you learned of late?

You're never too old to learn something new!

I learned a new word yesterday -- BUSK. Apparently, to busk is to perform some musical number at public areas such as in the subway or street corner in order to get some money thrown your way.

My friend's 18 yr-old nephew in Sydney does this from time to time and can collect around the equivalent of $50 in 2 hours...

Old 09-01-2006, 07:50 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I recently learned how to sit, roll over and beg...

(just kidding)

I finally learned to ride a bicycle this spring, the activity was strictly prohibited by my mother when I was a child, she was in the firm belief that I would dive right under some oncoming truck or fall off into a river or something. Once I grew up and on my own now it was too embarrassing for me, as everyone seemed to be able to ride them without slightest problem. Earlier this year Cris finally convinced me, and I practiced with his children.
A few weeks ago I rode all the way through Vinschgau Valley in Trentino, over 50km in about 3 hours. It was awesome!!

Chops I learned that word busking when I was in London the first time!! There are full of buskers around covent garden and leicester square, very cool entertainment, and yeah they seemed to be doing very well collecting their dough!!

Old 09-01-2006, 09:03 AM   #3
Sous Chef

I learned to take the weatherman seriously when he says there is a tropical storm coming. I left my patio umbrella up last night and it came down the hard way! Ouch! gonna need a new one next year!

Also just learned the word Busk!
Great topic!
Old 09-01-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS
I learned to take the weatherman seriously when he says there is a tropical storm coming. I left my patio umbrella up last night and it came down the hard way! Ouch! gonna need a new one next year!

Also just learned the word Busk!
Great topic!
Ernesto get ya there? In that line I learned that a tropical storm is not a hurricane until it hits sustained winds of 74 miles an hour ~ not 75, not 70, 74 mph ~ what's up with that????

And I learned this week that true Spanish names do not start with the letter K.
Old 09-01-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by urmaniac13
I finally learned to ride a bicycle this spring.
Wow Urmaniac, I hope you didn't fall too many times and gotten scrapes and bruises! Well even if you did, sounds like you managed to get back up on the saddle and mastered it!

You know, my hubby can drive and can fly planes but he can't ride the bike! And he's too old to be on training wheels...
Old 09-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #6
Master Chef

Well, and I MUST say this with a sheepish grin of embarrassment, the shrimp sauce I had on spaghetti in a restaurant (Tony's) in the French Quarter in New Orleans when I was a kid (starting when I was about 5 the first time I can remember it - last time about 40 years ago when I was 17) wasn't an Italian sauce after all. Over the past 20 or so years I'v researched Italian cookbook after cookbook - but nothing sounded right. And, somehow I had managed to miss what it was until a couple of nights ago ... Shrimp Creole served on spaghetti!!!

Okay - so I wasn't into trying to deconstruct recipes when I was a kid .. but I did remember the flavor!
Old 09-01-2006, 04:22 PM   #7
Everymom

I learned that even if the tomato spike label says "Early Girl" they still ripen last. Whats with that? My Roma's, Healthy Kick, Patio and Beefsteaks are all ripening but that stupid Early Girl is greener than green. Sorry, I guess what I learned is "don't believe the label"
Old 09-01-2006, 05:12 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

I learned what isokinetic sampling is today. Basically it means that if lyou want to measure an amount of airborne PM (particulate matter), the collector has to be designed so that the air moving into/thru the collector is traveling at the same velocity as the air on the outside of the collector.

Now....aren't you glad I shared that knowledge with you?
Old 09-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
I Learned When They Draw Your Blood There Is Two Techinqes...
Venus And Anterior...
Old 09-01-2006, 05:24 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

kim, which is ickier?