"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-22-2005, 03:48 PM   #41
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by middie
did i mention the people who wait to the last minute to get over when a sign says right laned closed... 3 MILES ago ?????
Did I mention the people who, as soon as a future merge is indicated, immediately and dutifully get into the other lane and wait when there's still 3 miles of clear road before the lane actually closes out and then refuse to allow cars to merge from a perfectly legal open lane thinking they're "cutting in line" or something? How Jr High! LOL

Sorry, I guess I'm one of those. I believe the signs are to let you know that the lane is closed in the future so you'll be ready for it when it happens. I don't come tearing up the lane to 'cheat', but I think a lot of people merge way too early and then think they have the RIGHT to tailgate the car in front of them preventing a perfectly legal merge.

Old 06-22-2005, 04:06 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, try commuting in to nyc every morning. if you leave even 1/4 car length between you and the car in front of you, someone will see it as that you were letting them in. everyone waits until the last second to merge, or everyone behind them just goes around, and gets in front of both of you...

Old 06-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #43
Hospitality Queen

....which is why I wish I lived in the midwest!
All the Los Angeles County freeways are a nightmare!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:18 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

jkath, i heard about a guy who went hunting in so. cal., and strapped the deer to the hood of his truck. he took the freeway home, and when he got there he found that the deer had been shot 4 more times...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #45
Hospitality Queen

lol lol lol

I feel sorry for my h, who commutes 30 miles each way to work, yet it takes him 90 minutes each way.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:25 PM   #46
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
jkath, i heard about a guy who went hunting in so. cal., and strapped the deer to the hood of his truck. he took the freeway home, and when he got there he found that the deer had been shot 4 more times...
Good one...
Old 06-22-2005, 04:29 PM   #47
Executive Chef

Bucky, I had a good laugh with that one.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:40 AM   #48
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkath
....which is why I wish I lived in the midwest!
All the Los Angeles County freeways are a nightmare!
Oh yeah...
Old 06-23-2005, 06:44 AM   #49
Assistant Cook

Cool

I'm intolerant of intolerance - totally sick of people trying to jam my octagonal personality into the boring round "socially accepted" hole. Happens to my son too. If one more person uses some incongruous BS initials like ADD or some such crap to pigeon hole us I will send them into orbit (not that I am a violent person - just sick & tired if being persecuted for my individuality & labelled for society's convenience). I look at the drones around me - give me my all-questioning, revolutionary anarchist ways any day of the week. My son drives his teachers nuts - why? Because he will not accept things at face value - he asks WHY?? EXPLAIN?? And says things like (forbid!!) I don't agree!! He is also a natural musician playing tuba, trumpet, piano, drums & guitar (all at 11 years of age). So, fine - if people want to follow the masses that's their busines - just don't categorise people like my son & I just because we are different from you & you don't understand us.

Whoo hoo!! Never got such a major gripe off my chest on a forum before but... you DID ask what peeved people....

SK & surfrtom - Super Mum & son (well, one of 'em)
Old 06-23-2005, 09:11 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

wow!!! way to go sufrkim, and sufrtom!!!!!!!!!!

thank god for people like you. it's so easy to fall into a rut, never questioning anything, never realizing that they have the power to control their own destiny (well, in a lot of countries anyway). so many people are asleep, or too depressed to notice, doing what they're expected to. all it takes is realizing that the past is the past, you can't change that now. so here you are, with what you've got, now go and do something with it. and make your own opinions on things, taking into account the opinions of people you trust and understand, but making of it your own.
you can only give of yourself what you've made of yourself to give...