"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #91
Master Chef

I started out as an elementary science teacher, K-6, and had all kinds of questions to answer "Mrs. W---do frogs get sunburned?" That was asked by a second grader. Then I progressed to first grade which was one big ego trip---you've seen those bumper stickers that say "if you can read this thank a teacher---well, my kids were thanking me" and giving me love notes, works of arts, and self-written books---their parents were complaining because I was the final authority on everything in their child's eyes. Then I left the teaching field to have my own children. What an eye-opener. How STUPID was some of my advice to parents looking for answers when I was a childless teacher!!!!!! But I've learned a lot since then and been a volunteer teacher ever since my children were in school and now that they are grown up I'm volunteering in a kindergarten-first grade class at an international school in Kazahstan. I love it---kids are the same the world over and as of today was kissed on the top of my head by an American girl and had my hand shaken (his daily ritual) by a local Russian boy whose case I'm usually on since over two years ago. :)

Anyway, I also enjoy reading, walking, tennis, and travelling.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 AM   #92
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
I started out as an elementary science teacher, K-6, and had all kinds of questions to answer "Mrs. W---do frogs get sunburned?" That was asked by a second grader. Then I progressed to first grade which was one big ego trip---you've seen those bumper stickers that say "if you can read this thank a teacher---well, my kids were thanking me" and giving me love notes, works of arts, and self-written books---their parents were complaining because I was the final authority on everything in their child's eyes. Then I left the teaching field to have my own children. What an eye-opener. How STUPID was some of my advice to parents looking for answers when I was a childless teacher!!!!!! But I've learned a lot since then and been a volunteer teacher ever since my children were in school and now that they are grown up I'm volunteering in a kindergarten-first grade class at an international school in Kazahstan. I love it---kids are the same the world over and as of today was kissed on the top of my head by an American girl and had my hand shaken (his daily ritual) by a local Russian boy whose case I'm usually on since over two years ago. :)

Anyway, I also enjoy reading, walking, tennis, and travelling.
Wow, thats cool. I remember my first grade teacher. I just saw her last week at the store. She actually remembered me to. Is it cold in Kazakhstan.

Tennis looks to hard man. i do like to read also.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:51 AM   #93
Chief Eating Officer

People do not really understand what I do unless I can show them a physical example, but I work for a company that sells 3D printers.

Our machines actually print out 3D objects. The field is called Rapid Prototyping. It is used for R&D departments among other things.

The technology is really fascinating. You can put a CAD file of just about anything into the computer and a 3D object will print out. Some of our largest customers are in the automotive business. Instead of carving out clay models of concept cars, they will now just print out a model of the car complete with parts that can move.

Here are some examples of things that we have printed.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:54 AM   #94
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Chefellas
Wow GB.That sounds absolutely fascinating!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:55 AM   #95
Head Chef

i just googled Rapid Prototyping and the images it shows are actual cut out objects. so does the printer print them on paper.

EDIT

GB's pics were not up yet. lol Now i know what it does.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #96
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
I'm a substitute teacher at the elemntary school my daughter goes to. As for play, I like to fish, ride 4-wheelers, spend time at our place at the lake, read, & cook.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:14 AM   #97
Executive Chef

I want a job with GB.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:16 AM   #98
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT72884 View Post
i just googled Rapid Prototyping and the images it shows are actual cut out objects. so does the printer print them on paper.
Nope they are not printed out on paper. They are printed using resin. A UV light passed over the resin and cures it right away. You actually print out the part you want. When the printer is done you have the actual solid 3D piece ready to go. You could print out a tape dispenser, for example, and once the printer was done you could just pull out the tape dispenser and pop your tape into it and start using it without doing anything else.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:19 AM   #99
Certified Pretend Chef

...and that's called "printing"
Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 AM   #100
Chief Eating Officer

Believe it or not our printers use ink jet technology. It actually is a printer. What happens it the print head moves across just like your home printer does. It strays out very small drops of resin. A UV light passed along with the print head and cures the resin. The platform that the resin is being sprayed onto then drops about 13 microns and the printer makes another pass. It keeps doing this until the model is build.